"Case Closed" by Gerald Posner, book review

I have just finished a book by Gerald Posner - Case Closed - that examines the JFK assassination objectively and comes to the inescapable conclusion that Oswald acted alone. As astonishing as it seems, a miscreant pauper happened to be in the right place at the right time to plan an assassination of the world's most powerful man.

Reading the book, it's possible to only come to one conclusion - but also to wonder how so many can believe the opposite. Posner discusses the problem that the truth has been 'crowded out' by speculation, and that theories of conspiracy have been repeated so much that Oswald himself is not examined nearly enough, in fact many conspiracy theories focus entirely on other people.

As such, I think that future historians will find it strange that in an era of ostensibly large advances in science, we still relied on folklore for a lot of our information.

Question: What are your favourite conspiracies ? I do have one or two.

Chemtrails ? Roswell ?

How much do you follow it for entertainment and how much do you believe ?

I have just finished a book by Gerald Posner - Case Closed - that examines the JFK assassination objectively and comes to the inescapable conclusion that Oswald acted alone.

About as "objectively" as the Warren Commission. He set out with his conclusion in mind because he knew the market was ripe for the conclusion he sought. Then he adjusted the evidence where necessary to support his conclusion, just like most of the conspiracy books.

For example, on page 479, he includes a bird's-eye view illustration to prove the single bullet theory. In it, he has Governor Connally turned well to his right in frame 224 of the Zapruder film. But in frame 224, you'd see Connally is sitting looking almost straight forward. He also indicates eyewitness Howard Brennan is sitting on the wall looking directly at the Texas School Book Depository, but in the Zapruder film, Brennan can be seen facing Houston Street, not Elm.

This is just an example of the many times he fudged or completely ignored evidence where necessary to reach the conclusion he wanted. I think the only inescapable conclusion is we're never going to have an inescapable conclusion.

About as "objectively" as the Warren Commission. He set out with his conclusion in mind because he knew the market was ripe for the conclusion he sought. Then he adjusted the evidence where necessary to support his conclusion, just like most of the conspiracy books.

For example, on page 479, he includes a bird's-eye view illustration to prove the single bullet theory. In it, he has Governor Connally turned well to his right in frame 224 of the Zapruder film. But in frame 224, you'd see Connally is sitting looking almost straight forward. He also indicates eyewitness Howard Brennan is sitting on the wall looking directly at the Texas School Book Depository, but in the Zapruder film, Brennan can be seen facing Houston Street, not Elm.

This is just an example of the many times he fudged or completely ignored evidence where necessary to reach the conclusion he wanted. I think the only inescapable conclusion is we're never going to have an inescapable conclusion.

Given the sheer weight of facts, that doesn't seem like much of an error, frankly.

There will be a conclusion, because in 10 or 15 years, the whole stash of sealed information gets released.

Actually, in the film JFK they made reference to that. Files are being released from time to time and there hasn't been anything that supports the conspiracy idea.

Oswald was a famous hothead, with tendencies to shoot his mouth off and no qualifications for anything. He would be unfit for a conspiracy, by all accounts.

One of the most oddest facts of this case was who had assisinated Oswald!

I remember when Reagan was shot and the failed assasin was signing autographs in prison!

But I guess Kennedy was much more popular among criminals than Reagan????

It is anomalies like this that fuel doubt.

WWWTT

I have just finished a book by Gerald Posner - Case Closed - that examines the JFK assassination objectively and comes to the inescapable conclusion that Oswald acted alone. As astonishing as it seems, a miscreant pauper happened to be in the right place at the right time to plan an assassination of the world's most powerful man.

Question: What are your favourite conspiracies ? I do have one or two.

What makes me wonder is the rapidity with which Oswald himself was killed.

Chemtrails ? Roswell ?

How much do you follow it for entertainment and how much do you believe ?

I have two pet theories:

1. That there were people who wanted him dead but had nothing to do with the assassination so those people put Jack Ruby up to killing Oswald before he could talk. That could be the case even if Oswald knew nothing since the people who wanted him dead may have actually been planning something; and/or
  2. People in the U.S. Armed Forces upset about JFK's exposing the U.S. to blackmail by his bad behavior in the White House swimming pool.

What makes me wonder is the rapidity with which Oswald himself was killed.

I have two pet theories:

• That there were people who wanted him dead but had nothing to do with the assassination so those people put Jack Ruby up to killing Oswald before he could talk. That could be the case even if Oswald knew nothing since the people who wanted him dead may have actually been planning something; and/or
  • People in the U.S. Armed Forces upset about JFK's exposing the U.S. to blackmail by his bad behavior in the White House swimming pool.
So - Oswald knew nothing ? He acted alone ? But they wanted him killed ?

So - Oswald knew nothing ? He acted alone ? But they wanted him killed ?

If there were in fact people who were trying to have him killed they might not have known if Oswald was part of their "group" or not. I think there were a plethora of people who wanted him dead. I just don't think Oswald was connected to any of them.

If there were in fact people who were trying to have him killed they might not have known if Oswald was part of their "group" or not. I think there were a plethora of people who wanted him dead. I just don't think Oswald was connected to any of them.

So - let me get this straight. Some people think "I wish JFK was dead", then some loner/loser assassinates him and their thought is not "great, problem solved" but "now we have to kill THIS guy" ?

Doesn't follow, at least for me.

So - let me get this straight. Some people think "I wish JFK was dead", then some loner/loser assassinates him and their thought is not "great, problem solved" but "now we have to kill THIS guy" ?

Doesn't follow, at least for me.

Unless the people were afraid that Oswald had been selected as the actual killer and the trail would lead back to them.

Unless the people were afraid that Oswald had been selected as the actual killer and the trail would lead back to them.

So they were afraid that they were part of the plot unknowingly ?

Seems like a stretch. The section of the book on Ruby details his actions during the Kennedy visit in 1963. He was distraught, to say the least, that the president was killed and cried about it and sought consolation from various friends. He doesn't seem like the type that would have been enlisted to commit an execution.