Earth formed before the stars, etc? Or even more extreme...do you

believe it happened in 6 days some 6-7,000 years ago? This I need to

know from you so as not to needlessly harp on things like dinosaurs and

charnia, etc. Do you accept science's version of our Solar System's

birth and early life? Continental drift...dinosaurs...early humanoids,

etc etc?? Is God a watchmaker to you? Wind-up the Universe...evolution

and all...and let 'er go? Can you explain your religion's version of

Genesis in detail?*

* Your words and understanding, if you could, please.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=22400&p=886442

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That I speak positively about Intelligent Design should be answer enough.

Here, let me give you the same answer I'd given to another recently:

Perhaps that's why God probably gave us the very, very shortened version of creation in Genesis - to spare us all the boring nitty-gritty details.

That I speak positively about Intelligent Design should be answer enough.

Here, let me give you the same answer I'd given to another recently:

Perhaps that's why God probably gave us the very, very shortened version of creation in Genesis - to spare us all the boring nitty-gritty details.

Did God do that? Where does it say a day is not a day?

As well...I'm curious to know if you truly believe Earth was made by God before stars. Not to mention, how did our Pop I metal rich star end up being made before Pop II and Pop III stars?

Edited by DogOnPorch

Did God do that? Where does it say a day is not a day?

He was using metaphorical language to not confuse the old timey folks. How was God to know that new timey folks would take him literally? Mabye that's why He's not talking to people and giving them books to guide them anymore. Oh, wait, he did, 1300 years ago he talked to Mohammed and got him to write it all down. Guess God had given up on Christians by then.

He was using metaphorical language to not confuse the old timey folks. How was God to know that new timey folks would take him literally? Mabye that's why He's not talking to people and giving them books to guide them anymore. Oh, wait, he did, 1300 years ago he talked to Mohammed and got him to write it all down. Guess God had given up on Christians by then.

Noah apparently lived for hundreds of years....

If you want to know, then make the effort to read the Bible. It's there.

Otherwise you're being dawkins - who mocks and criticize what he doesn't understand.

If you are incapable of answering, just say so. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. If the ideas get too big and bad you can always refer me to the Bible, eh? I think YOU don't actually believe all that creation BS, either.

Edited by DogOnPorch

If you are incapable of answering, just say so. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. If the ideas get to big and bad you can always refer me to the Bible, eh? I think YOU don't actually believe all that creation BS, either.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Anyway, see you around DOP.

Edited by betsy

What's wrong with YHWH anyway? 6 days to make the universe? STVJBS could do it in about an hour with a 3D printer. And PnnTllr could do it just by snapping their fingers. (I know, I know, no fair, there's two of them.) But seriously, why did it take God any time at all to create the universe? You'd think he'd just make it so in an instant.

What's wrong with YHWH anyway? 6 days to make the universe? STVJBS could do it in about an hour with a 3D printer. And PnnTllr could do it just by snapping their fingers. (I know, I know, no fair, there's two of them.) But seriously, why did it take God any time at all to create the universe? You'd think he'd just make it so in an instant.

William Craig claims that objects just popping into being is 'magic'. Apparently, he hasn't had any association with quantum physics. Hawking radiation, for example, produces, by 'magic', particles and anti-particles half of which radiates away and the other half goes down the black hole...more or less. He also presumes the Universe needs a 'cause' and uses some 'logic' mumbo jumbo regarding "timeless, spaceless and changless" yick yack to 'prove' this. Much less amusing than Wendy Wright vs Dawkins, by far. In that, she had Dawkins sending crippled children to be euthanized.

:D

Edited by DogOnPorch

Also to mention that new species are being found all the time. Some are defying classification. Some of these species are older than many on the planet, even much older than the 'flood'.

And yet two of EVERYTHING was on the ark. However we could have an ark, but a technological one like presented in that flick Titan A.E.

But even if we entertain that idea and that it all came from a space ark, who built the ark for earth? how did they manage to get and store the DNA of every living creature on the planet?

God just might be aliens with the power of terraforming worlds.

William Craig claims that objects just popping into being is 'magic'. Apparently, he hasn't had any association with quantum physics. Hawking radiation, for example, produces, by 'magic', particles and anti-particles half of which radiates away and the other half goes down the black hole...more or less. He also presumes the Universe needs a 'cause' and uses some 'logic' mumbo jumbo regarding "timeless, spaceless and changless" yick yack to 'prove' this. Much less amusing than Wendy Wright vs Dawkins, by far. In that, she had Dawkins sending crippled children to be euthanized.

biggrin.png

The easy rebuttal to the universe needing a cause is what caused the cause? But let's say there is some eternal causitive force that gives rise to the big bang - it it doesn't require an intelligence, and if there is some intelligence to it (ie the coherence of natural forces) it's a very removed intelligence. No guy in the sky, no son to take on human form, etc. Just an "intelligence" that makes the universe work. Not much to pray to, no heaven to go to.

The easy rebuttal to the universe needing a cause is what caused the cause? But let's say there is some eternal causitive force that gives rise to the big bang - it it doesn't require an intelligence, and if there is some intelligence to it (ie the coherence of natural forces) it's a very removed intelligence. No guy in the sky, no son to take on human form, etc. Just an "intelligence" that makes the universe work. Not much to pray to, no heaven to go to.

Religion...all religion including myths and such...had the advantage of being first on the scene before science started giving real answers to the questions of the Universe. Sits deep in the lizard portion of the brain...lol. Plus, the lure of an eternal life certainly helps. Hell and damnation...certainly an useful foil.

Religion...all religion including myths and such...had the advantage of being first on the scene before science started giving real answers to the questions of the Universe. Sits deep in the lizard portion of the brain...lol. Plus, the lure of an eternal life certainly helps. Hell and damnation...certainly an useful foil.

Think I'll throw on a lecture of Neil DeGrasse Tyson to ease my mind.

Wow so true! Never thought of it that way

The Simpsons could be a religion. As well as consulting the other holy books of Family Guy, American Dad, etc.

Think I'll throw on a lecture of Neil DeGrasse Tyson to ease my mind.

Dr Craig is a good enough fellow, but he's literally an unmovable force. He baffles folks with a lot of 'logical' runaround that would have the uncritical listener nod in enthusiastic agreement. But, really all it boils down to is having faith that religion...his particular version of it, that is...is correct and science is ultimately got it wrong. No matter the pesky rhamphorhynchus fossil...etc.

One of my favs...Charnia. Neither plant nor animal. Extinct since the Ediacaran period...slightly Pre-Cambrian on the time scale chart.

charnia_50_holotypev2.jpg

Edited by DogOnPorch

That's it in a nutshell. We crave answers and so gods were invented (and reinvented and reinvented) to fill in the gaps. Those that spoke on behalf of the gods wielded power...and power was good.

Despite incredible levels of scientific ignorance the average person now has better, evidence and observation based answers. That's why religiosity is in decline. The number of people who claim to be atheist/agnostic or have 'no belief' are continuously rising; but, the reduction in commitment among believers is even more impressive. Less than 20% of Americans attend church services and a large amount of the belief that people claim to have has eroded down to essentially deism.

Traditional religion is like the VCR blinking '12:00'. It met a need for quite some time, but we now have something better and those that still use one are fewer and older.

Edit: Forgot to include my link - "Clearly, a disconnect between what Americans say and what they actually do has created a sense of a resilient church culture when, in fact, it may not exist." http://www.churchleaders.com/pastors/pastor-articles/139575-7-startling-facts-an-up-close-look-at-church-attendance-in-america.html

Edited by Mighty AC

I think there's more to it than you guys are willing to acknowledge. People, most of us, seek a sense of oneness, have a sense of a deeper connection with the world than just thru their senses analysed by logic. Many people will have this sense with nature or music or love or what have you. Spirituality, the deeper part of religion addresses this, or tries to anyway. And many people are open to this without having to deny science or somebody else's beliefs. The problem is when the religions that arise from this spirituality try to move beyond it to being a political or power system, or a pacifier for people who can't handle the unknown and unstateable and then try to lay that on everybody else. But the materialist crowd does the same at times, by denying this deeper connection. Because it is like Coyote walking out over the cliff. Can be scary.

I think there's more to it than you guys are willing to acknowledge. People, most of us, seek a sense of oneness, have a sense of a deeper connection with the world than just thru their senses analysed by logic. Many people will have this sense with nature or music or love or what have you. Spirituality, the deeper part of religion addresses this, or tries to anyway. And many people are open to this without having to deny science or somebody else's beliefs. The problem is when the religions that arise from this spirituality try to move beyond it to being a political or power system, or a pacifier for people who can't handle the unknown and unstateable and then try to lay that on everybody else. But the materialist crowd does the same at times, by denying this deeper connection. Because it is like Coyote walking out over the cliff. Can be scary.

Most folks that claim 'spirituality' do not know an SO from an SBb. So I do wonder how good a grip on reality* they actually have.

hub_class02b.jpg

* the real world...not like they're crazy.