Canadian Economy under the Cons going downhill.

kairos

I think we are the only western nation actually doing the right thing. If you disagree with what harper is doping than you would perfer how the rest of the wolrd is doing, spiraling down in debt. Now nothern europe is doing OK but southern europe is screwed until they go back to thier own money.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Economy tanks: Government can only do so much.

Economy soars: Praise Harper!

You're hilarious.

Harper has done what was needed. Now what would have happen if the liberal were in ,they would have done the same as everyone else, try and spend their way out of it. And the economy is not tanking.

Did I say the problems with the economy right now are Harper's fault? I have and still do blame him for focusing on a single sector of the economy without concerning himself with the parts that are struggling. That's called putting all of your eggs in one basket and just as I said then it's going to bite him in the ass. There is very little that he can do because the government doesn't control the economy. However, giving away tax breaks and perks to the oil industry, while manufacturing is suffering is just plain stupid.

Edited by cybercoma

The article does not appear to support the OP.

Canada's economy is not soaring....just like everyone else's. But compared to everyone else's we're doing quite well.

Forbes rated Canada the best place in the world to invest last year. Our currency is strong, our debt/GDP ratio is low, our banking sector is solid, and Flaherty is widely regarding as a great finance minister worldwide.

There seem to be a lot of clowns in the CPC nowadays but people appear to think this automatically means government policy has been bad. Actually its been quite good and we are in a better position for it. Clowns aside, the overall trajectory has been as good or better than expected.

If I could vote to kick out Brazeau Peter Mckay I would, but I would definitely vote for Flaherty again.

Did I say the problems with the economy right now are Harper's fault? I have and still do blame him for focusing on a single sector of the economy without concerning himself with the parts that are struggling. That's called putting all of your eggs in one basket and just as I said then it's going to bite him in the ass. There is very little that he can do because the government doesn't control the economy. However, giving away tax breaks and perks to the oil industry, while manufacturing is suffering is just plain stupid.

That sector is very important to this country and needs the attention . What can harper do about manufactoring in ONT after mcguinty destroyed it, beside getting corporate taxes even lower to attract more business, something the left does not want to do, except raise it. And hopefully he can get the boat building up and running which will be huge for the east coast. Everything is not in one basket.?

That sector is very important to this country and needs the attention . What can harper do about manufactoring in ONT after mcguinty destroyed it, beside getting corporate taxes even lower to attract more business, something the left does not want to do, except raise it. And hopefully he can get the boat building up and running which will be huge for the east coast. Everything is not in one basket.?

In order to grow the economy you need to grow exports.

Moving money from one side of Canada to the other just takes from one group and gives to another.

1st off you can't see the economy based on dollars and cents you need to see it based upon peoples needs being met.

Secondarily how long the needs of people can be met based upon produce stockpiled.

Other indicators are just economic voodoo.

Edited by shortlived

Oh, So what was with the millions and millions of dollars he awarded to the Auto sector for technology development? Tens of Millions towards Toyata Cambridge??? Oh,, and the Millions of dollars in the search for Franklin and the Norther passage?? The Muskrat Falls project??? I could go on and on..... But not till you remove the leftist blinders... Yes, SHEER focus on the Oil idustry... Oh, and his hidden agenda...

Edited by Fletch 27

In order to grow the economy you need to grow exports.

Moving money from one side of Canada to the other just takes from one group and gives to another.

1st off you can't see the economy based on dollars and cents you need to see it based upon peoples needs being met.

Secondarily how long the needs of people can be met based upon produce stockpiled.

Other indicators are just economic voodoo.

So if person A digs a bunch of resources out of the ground in Alberta and sells them to person B in Ontario, then person B turns those resources into a car and sells it to person C in Quebec, you would say the economy hasn't grown?

Talk about economic voodoo..

Another 50k jobs under the Harper govt. That makes 216k jobs in the past 7 months (1.1% of the canadian labour force).

For those more familiar with US jobs numbers, that would be equivalent to the US creating 1.7M jobs in 7mos (only 1.075 were created).

Edit: also 340k jobs created in Canada in last 1yr.

Edited by CPCFTW

So

if person A digs a bunch of resources out of the ground in Alberta and

sells them to person B in Ontario, then person B turns those resources

into a car and sells it to person C in Quebec, you would say the economy

hasn't grown?

Talk about economic voodoo..

Yes. You see money is not a car, just try sitting on a pile of hundreds and see how far you get.

The net gain was a car. People in Alberta got paper for resources, I'm

betting though that paper is worth less than the resources that were

traded.

No, the economic growth measure is how many

resources can be processed into cars, if cars are required. Moving

money around has no direct impact on that efficiency. It is an

associated trait that isn't required - aside from that being the form of

currency. But my point was moving money around does not grow the

economy, moving resources and having people able to turn those resources

into cars is economic growth if the resource handling capacity and car

output increases. Two totally different things. Money creates waste, because it adds unneeded intermediatry waste productions and personnel losses.

Now sure that is how the world works but no it isn't real economic growth aside from printing specialized pieces of paper. It is a effectively a loss not a gain, because it is not a "real" required resource.

If the car was unused surplus it would equate a net loss, and would not be economic growth at all.

Edited by shortlived

Another 50k jobs under the Harper govt. That makes 216k jobs in the past 7 months (1.1% of the canadian labour force).

For those more familiar with US jobs numbers, that would be equivalent to the US creating 1.7M jobs in 7mos (only 1.075 were created).

Edit: also 340k jobs created in Canada in last 1yr.

McJobs, Living wage, race to the bottom, blah blah.

McJobs, Living wage, race to the bottom, blah blah.

You to good for service jobs, don't like to get your hands dirty? A job is a job when you don't have one and people in this country are going to have to do those types of jobs, even if you think it is beneath you.

Didn't anyone warn Flaherty that crappy wages would yield less growth in tax revenues? Oh well at least he's realized he'll have to squeeze the top of the food chain for more revenues now that the bottom has just about bottomed out.

“And sometimes it makes sense to invest more resources for example in the Canada Revenue Agency so that we are better at policing the minority of Canadians who do not pay their fair share. So we’re looking at that side of it.”

It's a crappy job Flaherty but it's time to get your hands dirty and start taxing the rich.

What, that's beneath you say? To bad so sad.

Edited by eyeball

• 2 weeks later...

You to good for service jobs, don't like to get your hands dirty? A job is a job when you don't have one and people in this country are going to have to do those types of jobs, even if you think it is beneath you.

People only have so much time to live, why waste it going down the wrong path, and the wrong chain of advancement for your carear goals?

Waste time is wasted time, and just because it pays doesn't mean it helps society it just means people who are paying have money, there is more to life than economic success.

Some people arn't working class, why take working class occupation? It is a waste of skills and time put into the training you've done.

Why take a crappy job?

Its a pretty clear answer.

Service work offers no long term accomplishment or beyond subsistence wages of lower middle income, they have no long term benefit.

Who wants to be trapped in low middle income to low income wage slavery?

No brainier there.

Now if you need money sure whatever, but there are easier ways of getting that amount of money, we are talking $400 a week $1600 a month. There are easier ways of making that kind of money for way less time input.

Service jobs are "school kid jobs" or unskilled mom jobs, or dropout jobs. The pay isn't there. Also at times there are health problems associated, such as high caffeine vapour expsure, or grease, cts, etc.. long working hours little if any earned benefits, and low wage.

The jobs are crap jobs.

JOB = Just Over Broke

I've worked a variety of jobs, and I can say service jobs are dramatically underpaid for the work performed in comparison with professional occupations. There is a dramatic misalignment in payrates for work performed.

Edited by shortlived

I run a small business, and I am one that makes 400 week, and guess what I live a very comfortable life. I did not waste anytime waiting for the goverment to look after me. Makes me wonder how many gov employees are on this baord. I make little , live with in my means and have a nice litte river front home, living the dream. Then I look at the people that are ruining their lives because they want everything now. A big wage in NOT A RIGHT.

I run a small business, and I am one that makes 400 week, and guess what I live a very comfortable life. I did not waste anytime waiting for the goverment to look after me. Makes me wonder how many gov employees are on this baord. I make little , live with in my means and have a nice litte river front home, living the dream. Then I look at the people that are ruining their lives because they want everything now. A big wage in NOT A RIGHT.

Free advertising, what is your business, currious.

Well there is a difference between working for yourself and working for someone else at that level of income.

Atleast with yourself you can add capitalization to your assets as a business expense, as well as perform many other tax write offs.

People who arn't working for themselves are probably paying higher taxes on those 400 dollars. even at only $20,000 a year before taxes.

Also what are you doing to earn that $400 paper pushing or performing actual labor like those poor JOBers are on 40 hours a week plus 10 to 20 hours of extra time in transit without their work vehicle, without their travel expenses, and without their free phone account, and without their other free write offs for luxuries and other benefits. Plus them needing to pay into extra services you don't have to like EI and CPP.

Edited by shortlived

Free advertising, what is your business, currious.

Well there is a difference between working for yourself and working for someone else at that level of income.

Atleast with yourself you can add capitalization to your assets as a business expense, as well as perform many other tax write offs.

People who arn't working for themselves are probably paying higher taxes on those 400 dollars. even at only $20,000 a year before taxes.

Also what are you doing to earn that $400 paper pushing or performing actual labor like those poor JOBers are on 40 hours a week plus 10 to 20 hours of extra time in transit without their work vehicle, without their travel expenses, and without their free phone account, and without their other free write offs for luxuries and other benefits. Plus them needing to pay into extra services you don't have to like EI and CPP.

Not quite right. Not only do you still have to pay CPP, you have to pay double, your contribution and your company's. And you can chose to not pay EI, but then you aren't eligible to receive it.

Not quite right. Not only do you still have to pay CPP, you have to pay double, your contribution and your company's. And you can chose to not pay EI, but then you aren't eligible to receive it.

why the hell would you pay CPP for your business, do they get pensions too?

Employees profit sharing plan (EPSP) No

Employment of your child or a person that you maintain if no cash remuneration is paid No

Retiring allowances (also called severance pay) No

Retirement compensation arrangements (RCA) No

Spouse or common-law partner, employment of, if you cannot deduct the remuneration paid as an expense under the Income Tax Act No

Employment of your child or a person that you maintain if no cash remuneration is paid No

All assets that are expenses for the company such as capital aquisitions, company expenses are write offs to the limit.

Tips and gratuities (direct tips or gratuities - not controlled by the employer) No

• Advances or loans equal to the workers' compensation award

N

Plus a $3500 basic deduction of CPP contrituions on his $20800 income? I think he just isn't maximizing his income strategy for his business.

Edited by shortlived

why the hell would you pay CPP for your business, do they get pensions too?

Employees profit sharing plan (EPSP) No

Retiring allowances (also called severance pay) No

Retirement compensation arrangements (RCA) No

Spouse or common-law partner, employment of, if you cannot deduct the remuneration paid as an expense under the Income Tax Act No

All assets that are expenses for the company such as capital aquisitions, company expenses are write offs to the limit.

Tips and gratuities (direct tips or gratuities - not controlled by the employer) No

• Advances or loans equal to the workers' compensation award

N

Plus a $3500 basic deduction of CPP contrituions on his $20800 income? I think he just isn't maximizing his income strategy for his business.

If you don't pay both CPP contributions you are in violation of tax law. You don't have a choice, unless you consider fines and ultimately jail as a choice.

If you don't pay both CPP contributions you are in violation of tax law. You don't have a choice, unless you consider fines and ultimately jail as a choice.

Ok tell me after his private pension contributions and paying family members and employee sharing plan contributions, capital acquisitions and business expenses and the $3500 basic deduction would guyser need to pay in cpp contributions?