"temporary" workers?

The Power to exploit goes beyond the miines.

I see Tim Hortons has received some very negative press regarding the exploitation of Mexican Temp Workers in their Franchise Stores, including near labour camp style bunking paid to the franchise owner.

Ah yes, and what dare happen to those temp workers who complain about these labour practices that do not meet the Alberta and BC labour laws?

A trip home.

That is still better then the chinese skilled trades who were killed on the job in Alberta doing unsafe labour practices or the Khazaks who were killed in Toronto ....

Disposable temp labour.....

the perfect laws.

Might as well just have open borders. We'll balance out with Asia - they'll drop to 2 billion, Canada and the US will rise to 2 billion. Everybody will be happy.

You realize most of Asia lives in near absolute poverty, right?

snapback.pngCanuckistani, on 15 December 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Might as well just have open borders. We'll balance out with Asia - they'll drop to 2 billion, Canada and the US will rise to 2 billion. Everybody will be happy.

You realize most of Asia lives in near absolute poverty, right?

I sure do. It's a good way to help those poor people.

Edited by Canuckistani

By lowering ourselves to their level?

I'm having you on. I'm against the massive immigration we currently have, and absolutely furious about the Chinese miners we're importing and the 450,000 temp workers we have working in Canada. Lowering ourselves to 3rd world countries' level is no way to help either them or us. Nor is exporting jobs to them.

I'm having you on. I'm against the massive immigration we currently have, and absolutely furious about the Chinese miners we're importing and the 450,000 temp workers we have working in Canada.

Are you OK with the thousands of Canadian workers employed abroad, taking jobs from the locals?

I'm having you on. I'm against the massive immigration we currently have, and absolutely furious about the Chinese miners we're importing and the 450,000 temp workers we have working in Canada. Lowering ourselves to 3rd world countries' level is no way to help either them or us. Nor is exporting jobs to them.

Then use your vote to shape the country. If Conservatives think they will lose your vote they will start acting more like Conservatives look to the US. Stop defending the government from decisions you don't agree with.

Then use your vote to shape the country. If Conservatives think they will lose your vote they will start acting more like Conservatives look to the US. Stop defending the government from decisions you don't agree with.

Use your vote to change the country on this issue how? EVERY party supports MASSIVE immigration and temporary worker programs. The conservatives at least have made some minor changes to tighten up the system slightly.

Use your vote to change the country on this issue how? EVERY party supports MASSIVE immigration and temporary worker programs. The conservatives at least have made some minor changes to tighten up the system slightly.

If your refuse to use your vote to make the party you support hold to the policies you support then you have lost. Canada will always be a left of center nation now even Conservatives have given up on changing it. Another win for my side.

Stop making American excuses for Canadian political discourse and choices. Own it.....

See, these seem like two different issues to me. I'm all for massive immigration where immigrants actually become Canadian citizens who will work according to Canadian labour laws and pay Canadian taxes. It seems like a better way to build our population base than just having more kids. Temporary worker programmes mostly just seem like a way to depress wages and break unions though, exploiting foreign workers in the process.

See, these seem like two different issues to me. I'm all for massive immigration where immigrants actually become Canadian citizens who will work according to Canadian labour laws and pay Canadian taxes. It seems like a better way to build our population base than just having more kids.

Why is it a "better way" than having kids?

It's funny, you free-market zealots. You claim the market corrects itself and that companies will have to offer higher wages for people to do the work. People are free to not work for a company because they don't pay well enough, so they're forced to offer competitive wages to get the labour.

Then you're just absolutely giddy that they will bend Canadians over by hiring "temporary" workers for 14 years, who can be paid less than the industry average thanks to the Conservatives.

This assault on the working class needs to end.

They will be canadian too won't they?

I hardly think it will take 14 years to get canadians in there what is citizen ship 4 years?

or does this temporary 14 year work permit not allow citizenship as a permanent resident

http://canadianimmigrant.ca/immigrate/why-temporary-foreign-workers-are-struggling

Edited by login

They will be canadian too won't they?

I hardly think it will take 14 years to get canadians in there what is citizen ship 4 years?

or does this temporary 14 year work permit not allow citizenship as a permanent resident

http://canadianimmig...-are-struggling

The link you provide states that it is very difficult for temporary workers to even achieve permanent residence, let alone citizenship, and is impossible for some (agricultural or low-skilled workers).

The fact theres a recession is puts even more pressure on the government to keep immigration levels up.

Really? So the solution to Canada's unemployment numbers is to let in even more unemployed people? Please explain this strategy. We need toget Canadians working first before we think about helping others. nothing wrong with putting ourselves first ahead of people who aren't citizens.

I live near to Simcoe Ontario. During the spring, summer and fall, thousands of temporary workers from Jamaica and Mexico fly in to work the farms in the area. They work tobacco, fruit, vegetables and ginseng. The farmers claim that the locals will not work for those wages. The farmers also claim that they have to pay those wages because they are competing with Quebec subsidized products and other products imported from third world countries with peasant wages.

There are no problems organizing and hiring these workers since there is a waiting list. Most of these workers came back year after year. The farmer usually hires from a particular village or small town with the “boss man” of the village being the recruiter in the village and also the foreman at the Canadian farm. This guarantees that the workers create no problems, the foremen is in charge of “good behavior” and getting sent back to the village is shameful and endangers the future jobs of others in the village.

Many small businesses in the small towns in Norfolk (Simcoe, Delhi, Tillsonburg, Waterford, Port Dover) are dependant on the patronage of these workers. The typical worker will open an account in a store reserving electronics, clothes etc and pay into it as the season progresses. At the end of the season they pick up their goods and we see buses packed (and I mean packed) with purchases on their way to the airports.

It appears to be a successful symbiotic relationship with no complaints from the workers, businesses or locals. Most workers are very pleased with the arrangement, have no desire to immigrate here and keep coming back year after year. I do not think offering higher wages would be of economic benefit to these workers in this area.

Edited by Big Guy

Not many judging by this YouTube video:

yeah then you need to worry about problems at the border, and people think it won't happen to me.

or, lost/stolden wallet/passport

or giving all you info, to someone else, have laptop scanned, copied.

or them doses of radiation.

god forbid a border gaurd arbitrarily make an error and take up hours or longer waiting staring at a wall over a technicality. sounds all nice but all it takes is one hickup and all those savings disapear.

why don't you just buy their products up here, the us earns the same if not more

Edited by login