F-35 Purchase Cancelled; CF-18 replacement process begins

Yes..the Sales & Marketing team is still employed, but go count the empty parking lot spaces for production teams. The end is near without a major buy...soon.

And yet it sounds like they plan to bid on Canada's competition, with further details to come in December, according to industry sources.

After all, minister Sajjan's mandate letter makes fighter replacement a priority:

o working with the Minister of Public Services and Procurement to launch an open and transparent competition to replace the CF-18 fighter aircraft, focusing on options that match Canada’s defence needs; and

Was number two on his list of equipment priorities, after ensuring that funding levels are maintained.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are betting Canada's procurement of F-18 Super Hornets on what other nations may or may not do ? I thought this was a Canadian decision. The F-35 has more international sales than F-18's.

And Canada won't be one of those F-35 sales. There's no use losing sleep over it.

Is that why Boeing is planning on meeting a smaller order of 36 aircraft for the USN, and possibly 28 for Kuwait?

Exactly, on a production line producing ~15 aircraft a year, through 2018 if the USN orders more.....If Kuwait did purchase the Super Hornet, that would extend the line further...........hence your claim of a Canadian order being completed in 2018 is BS.

And yet it sounds like they plan to bid on Canada's competition, with further details to come in December, according to industry sources.

That is a long way from a signed production order for Super Hornets...Canada will drag this out the way it always does until overcome by events.

Exactly, on a production line producing ~15 aircraft a year, through 2018 if the USN orders more.....If Kuwait did purchase the Super Hornet, that would extend the line further...........hence your claim of a Canadian order being completed in 2018 is BS.

I didn't say it would be completed, I said it could start then. At a rate of 15 a year, for a 65 aircraft order, that's a 4 year timeline.

Fine by me....my country and several others are not waiting/depending on a decision that Canada has yet to make.

Your country will be lucky to get 3/4 of the F-35s originally planned. At the rate your budget is dropping as a percentage of GDP, you might catch us soon.

Edited by Smallc

I didn't say it would be completed, I said it could start then. At a rate of 15 a year, for a 65 aircraft order, that's a 4 year timeline.

So in your imaginary world, where the Government hasn't budgeted any money for new fighters, Boeing will allow us to queue jump over the USN and Kuwait?

You don't pay for procurement in a lump sum. There is procurement money in every budget year.

I know that, and nowhere in their published budget plan is there new money for fighters within the next four years.

Edited by Derek 2.0

So in your imaginary world, where the Government hasn't budgeted any money for new fighters, Boeing will allow us to queue jump over the USN and Kuwait?

The USN hasn't ordered their additional aircraft yet. Still, a 2020 - 2024 production would be just as acceptable.

After all, #2 on Minister Foote's mandate letter:

Work with the Minister of National Defence and the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development to launch an open and transparent competition to replace the CF-18 fighter aircraft, focusing on options that match Canada’s defence needs. - See more at: http://pm.gc.ca/eng/minister-public-services-and-procurement-mandate-letter#sthash.bHAivapK.dpuf

I know they haven't, nor has Kuwait......hence, sans new orders, the plant shuts down in 2017

I've already told you that's not true, and provided information as such. Further, the USN has ~36 unfunded Super Hornets and Growlers in their budget, and have taken the first steps to get money for some of them. They're doing this, of course, because of the lateness of the F-35.

Considering that they intend to buy them and have stated as much, you're going to have to provide proof of that./

Buy what? They haven't selected an aircraft yet..........I don't have to provide proof to your claim that the Government has $16 billion stuffed away for fighter they haven't selected yet. Show me the money!!! :lol:

I've already told you that's not true, and provided information as such. Further, the USN has ~36 unfunded Super Hornets and Growlers in their budget, and have taken the first steps to get money for some of them. They're doing this, of course, because of the lateness of the F-35.

Again...depending on what another nation will/will not do. I thought this was a Canadian procurement / decision ?

I provided, in the other thread, the DoD 2016 budget framework........no money for any Hornets or Growlers, hence, without new orders, the plant closes in 2017.