Winnipeg police chief touts prayer to help combat crime

betsy

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are studies that show prayer works? I would like to see a single credible study of that.

What harm is it actually having on your life right now if a police officer happens to pray in their squad car? Tell me effect it will have on your life at this moment if it was happening right now, this instant.

Guest American Woman

There are studies that show prayer works? I would like to see a single credible study of that.

The key word being "credible," eh? Because of course you are qualified to make that determination - so of course the study you cited is credible. wink.png

So I gather you don't really have anything of substance to add to the conversation then. Duly noted.

Still wondering what ill effect some policeman praying in their cruisers in a far away city is having on your life today. Would you still be against it if it were Muslims praying?

Still wondering what ill effect some policeman praying in their cruisers in a far away city is having on your life today. Would you still be against it if it were Muslims praying?

No. I'd be all for it. In fact, I really hope that Muslims are bowing towards Mecca to stop violence. It seems to be working really well in their communities so far.~~~

No. I'd be all for it. In fact, I really hope that Muslims are bowing towards Mecca to stop violence. It seems to be working really well in their communities so far.~~~

Ok great so you've publicly come out as being against it only because it's Christians who are praying for crime to end but you'd be for it if it were any other faith. Thank you for that. I think that God has compelled you to be honest with us once and for all about your true intentions. You further admit that Muslims are more violent then other religions as well. today is an important day for you CC. You may want to call it your reawakening.

Welcome to the real world.

Mr. Canada, if I may offer a small piece of advice for you. Obviously you're free to take it or leave it. However, I think you would benefit greatly to reflect on what assumptions you bring to arguments and debates. It may help if you try to consider that you have a particular perspective and that perspective may differ to varying degrees from others' perspectives. Moreover, there may not necessarily be a "right" perspective, but just a variety of ways of interpreting things. So you should reflect on the ways you interpret situations, how that differs from others, why those differences exist, what those differences mean, and why you interpret things from your particular perspective. This could help you to understand not only yourself better, but also the views of others.

Oh, please. There are plenty of studies that show the opposite of the one cybercoma cited. So should I claim that atheists do not like "studies" and "evidence?"

I have yet to see a scientific study that show the opposite actually. I have seen many that claim prayer improves various aspects of health. However, when examined prayer has no benefit beyond any other stress relieving technique, like meditation, deep breathing, etc.

What I find funny is the study cited by cybercoma was actually funded by the Templeton Foundation; an organization dedicated to finding scientific justification for religious views. To their dismay prayer had a slight negative effect in those that KNEW they were being prayed for. Most likely a psychological stressor.

What harm is it actually having on your life right now if a police officer happens to pray in their squad car?

In my opinion, prayer, holding crystals, horoscopes, voodoo dolls, casting spells, etc. generally cause no harm directly. The problem is when a bogus belief prevents a person from taking a necessary action or causes them to make a stupid choice.

Some examples would be refusing medical treatment for a disease because of a belief in prayer, faith healing, holistic medicine, etc. Refusing a required blood transfusion for yourself or, even worse, a child would be another example of this. Sending money to religious organizations that promise to pray for you or your loved ones or a "medium" that will contact your dead relatives can cause harm as well.

Anyway, I see no downside to a cop in The Peg making a private prayer for safety and less crime. However, making a public plea for prayers is a blow to the credibility of the police organization and that is a negative in itself.

Guest American Woman
I have yet to see a scientific study that show the opposite actually. I have seen many that claim prayer improves various aspects of health.

They don't "claim" it; the results show it.

However, when examined prayer has no benefit beyond any other stress relieving technique, like meditation, deep breathing, etc.

Depending on the study. Different studies have yielded different results.

What I find funny is the study cited by cybercoma was actually funded by the Templeton Foundation; an organization dedicated to finding scientific justification for religious views. To their dismay prayer had a slight negative effect in those that KNEW they were being prayed for. Most likely a psychological stressor.

That's one study out of many. I wouldn't put complete faith in it. wink.png

What harm is it actually having on your life right now if a police officer happens to pray in their squad car? Tell me effect it will have on your life at this moment if it was happening right now, this instant.

If a robbery is in progress and the cops just sitting in the car praying for 5 minutes before attempting to catch them...

Moreover, there may not necessarily be a "right" perspective, but just a variety of ways of interpreting things. So you should reflect on the ways you interpret situations, how that differs from others, why those differences exist, what those differences mean, and why you interpret things from your particular perspective. This could help you to understand not only yourself better, but also the views of others.

I think that often time that it's not clear whether a right or wrong exists perhaps one does not exist. I am a right wing supporter so I take a right wing stance on most things. Some things I stand with the left namely, social justice and treatment of the poor.

I take an extreme stance on this forum because it makes it easier to argue with someone who is one extreme or the other. It's hard to have a good argument with some one who is constantly on the fence, wishy washy or gray area.

In real life I am obviously a conservative but much more tame and moderate on many issues.

I am sure if I took the fluffy bunny approach to everything it would be better and not make as many waves to be sure but I really and truly don't see the benefit of sticking my head in the sand and pretending that serious issues don't exist.

They should be commended for publishing honest results, rather than scrapping the project.

I think that often time that it's not clear whether a right or wrong exists perhaps one does not exist. I am a right wing supporter so I take a right wing stance on most things. Some things I stand with the left namely, social justice and treatment of the poor.

I take an extreme stance on this forum because it makes it easier to argue with someone who is one extreme or the other. It's hard to have a good argument with some one who is constantly on the fence, wishy washy or gray area.

In real life I am obviously a conservative but much more tame and moderate on many issues.

I am sure if I took the fluffy bunny approach to everything it would be better and not make as many waves to be sure but I really and truly don't see the benefit of sticking my head in the sand and pretending that serious issues don't exist.

I think more nuanced arguments from you would be refreshing. I think you have a lot to offer intellectually that you choose to put aside in favour of entertaining yourself.

What would be the problem with that? And what would change if you kept it to yourself and prayed silently, without telling her that you're going to pray about it?

Anyone who is religious and believes that prayer helps, is going to pray.

Praying without action is like ... just praying ......

It's like one step below liking a cause on Facebook or a single click petition. You get to feel warm and fuzzy without doing anything at all.

How do you know they don't do aything at all?

We pray at church. There is also a special prayer meeting day. But believe me, our church is active from Food Bank, to giving donations to Third World countries, providing lunch to a group that build houses for the poor etc..,

How do you know they don't do aything at all?

We pray at church. There is also a special prayer meeting day. But believe me, our church is active from Food Bank, to giving donations to Third World countries, providing lunch to a group that build houses for the poor etc..,

First, thank you for your charitable actions. I too am a very active food bank supporter and volunteer.

However, it is you that helps the food bank with action, donations, solicitation, etc. Your prayers do not.

Guest American Woman

First, thank you for your charitable actions. I too am a very active food bank supporter and volunteer.

However, it is you that helps the food bank with action, donations, solicitation, etc. Your prayers do not.

You may not realize this, but you're "a very active food bank supporter and volunteer" because people prayed that you would be. wink.png

Edited by American Woman