Confessions of a Former Republican

I thought this might be a good article to read and perhaps have some discussion about the ideological pigeon-holing that's going on in the US with the Culture Wars over the last 30 some odd years.

I always imagined that I was full of heart, but it turned out that I was oblivious. Like so many Republicans, I had assumed that society’s “losers” had somehow earned their desserts. As I came to recognize that poverty is not earned or chosen or deserved, and that our use of force is far less precise than I had believed, I realized with a shock that I had effectively viewed whole swaths of the country and the world as second-class people.

Read the full article here: http://www.thenation.com/article/169833/confessions-former-republican#

Edited by cybercoma

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could have said it as eloquently. I woke up after Reagan's first term for many of the same reasons; I think I ignored much during his first term but the impact that the religious right was having on Texas became so apparent during his second that it bcame impossible to ignore.

I wish I could have said it as eloquently. I woke up after Reagan's first term for many of the same reasons; I think I ignored much during his first term but the impact that the religious right was having on Texas became so apparent during his second that it bcame impossible to ignore.

Bitsy...curious to know...Is Texas considered part of the bible belt? Is God and Country as prevalant as say SC , Alabama et al?

So that makes her an expert? - about SC and Alabama et al, too? :unsure:

no one asked for an 'expert' opinion. who would be an expert on this anyway? would anyone who lives in those state automatically become an expert on their state? are you an expert on anything?

Guest American Woman

no one asked for an 'expert' opinion. who would be an expert on this anyway? would anyone who lives in those state automatically become an expert on their state? are you an expert on anything?

Glad you asked. I'm an expert on everything. :)

So living in Texas makes one knowledgeable about SC and Alabama et al? Seriously. So what if another Texan disagrees with her? Seriously.

Well for one, I never asked for a professional opinion.

Secondly , Living 70 yrs in one state, and presumably, she has visited others and knows something about the states around her.

Thirdly, she has posted in an informed manner which makes me believe she is knowledgeable.

Fourth, it was an innocent question relating to nothing that was posted but was related to something that was crossing my mind.

Ergo, seriously ?

Unless there was/is a reason for the question, I truly feel that was an apt reply I gave.

Edited by guyser

Guest American Woman

Well for one, I never asked for a professional opinion.

Secondly , Living 70 yrs in one state, and presumably, she has visited others and knows something about the states around her.

Thirdly, she has posted in an informed manner which makes me believe she is knowledgeable.

Fourth, it was an innocent question relating to nothing that was posted but was related to something that was crossing my mind.

Ergo, seriously ?

Unless there was/is a reason for the question, I truly feel that was an apt reply I gave.

Seriously? :blink:

Seriously? :blink:

What is your problem? Holy crap!! Can't someone ask another poster about their experiences in their homeland? If she doesn't know, then she will reply that she doesn't know.... or you can disagree with her when she replies.... but to jump all over a relatively innocuous question strikes me as odd...

Guest American Woman

What is your problem? Holy crap!! Can't someone ask another poster about their experiences in their homeland? If she doesn't know, then she will reply that she doesn't know.... or you can disagree with her when she replies.... but to jump all over a relatively innocuous question strikes me as odd...

That you conclude that I'm "jumping all over" the question strikes me as odd. <_< Guess it's all relative, eh?

Guest American Woman

Good read on that article. very well written and expresses some of my thoughts quite well.

Even when you ask Americans about America, AW still has an issue with it. Strange.

Yep. Considering how many have told AW that living in the U.S. doesn't give her opinion any validity. ;)

But I don't expect you to 'get it.' I thought guyser might, but .... oh well. C'est la vie.

Edited by American Woman

That you conclude that I'm "jumping all over" the question strikes me as odd. <_< Guess it's all relative, eh?

Your posts are a strange mix of innuendo and smiley icons... reading between the lines, that was my conclusion.

If you don't have a problem with the question, then dispense with the silly posts. If you do, then stop beating around the bush and have the guts to say what you mean.

Guest American Woman

Your posts are a strange mix of innuendo and smiley icons... reading between the lines, that was my conclusion.

If you don't have a problem with the question, then dispense with the silly posts. If you do, then stop beating around the bush and have the guts to say what you mean.

In case it escaped you, I was actually responding to guyser; and just for future reference, I'll post however I like. Don't like it? Don't respond. Thank you. :)

In case it escaped you, I was actually responding to guyser; and just for future reference, I'll post however I like. Don't like it? Don't respond. Thank you. :)

If I don't like it, I will respond that I don't like it and I will let you know why....

Excuse me, but how would Bitsy know?

If you could wait until Bitsy answers the question, if she chooses to do so, then you would see whether she has an intelligible answer to Guyser's question and discussion about the topic could flourish... instead you insinuate that she doesn't know before the conversation even starts... add some passive-aggressive emoticons, and drama ensues!

I for one am eager to hear what Bitsy says about the topic.... because, from all I have seen, she is probably the best person on this forum to be able to answer such a question!

I thought this might be a good article to read and perhaps have some discussion about the ideological pigeon-holing that's going on in the US with the Culture Wars over the last 30 some odd years.
A lot of sentimental nonsense that does not address the core issues: the big spending policies of the last 40 years are not sustainable in the long run. Government budgets must be balanced and the ability to tax is limited. This means a responsible government cannot afford to worry about every sob story out there. The republicans are the only party which at least acknowledges the problem even if their no-tax increase obsession is part of the problem.