Alberta Teacher Faces Termination

I don't even understand how "Zero" could not be an option.

No doubt there will always be contestable marking decisions (ie a "0" for insufficient effort, which maybe deserves a 20%, 25%, or what have you). But some assignments and tests--say, zero work done on it--deserve a zero.

That doesn't sound unreasonably harsh to me.

Exactly. If you don't hand something in, you should get a zero on it. Period.

Exactly. If you don't hand something in, you should get a zero on it. Period.

I think that goes without saying, same for being absent on test days. Obviously there can be extenuating circumstances, and that is altogether different.

But I don't believe that is what we are speaking of.

I was talking to a teacher last night, and he said, some childern EARN a ZERO, but he cannot give them one.

It seems like the policy is really about gerrymandering the results for the schools vs doing what is best for the students.

Edited by madmax

What do you mean by earning a zero? Like getting every question wrong on a test? Inconceivable.

You are asking me to interpret "Earning a Zero", that was used by another teacher.

However my understanding of some of the behaviour is like this.

Student shows up for test.... makes sure cell phone "rings" annoys classroom for bit, gets up leaves, hangs out in hallway, then outside for a smoke on the sidewalk.

Stir and repeat.

So on a mark out of 100...10 or 50.... what does she deserve?

Oh yes, I also forgot, on the days she doesn't show up, which is over 30 days during the semester, she cannot get a failing mark on the missed tests and assignments. Its simply No Mark, and doesn't count in the semester.

Unfortuneately there appears to be many apples such as this, (not to be confused with good apples as I hear good stories as well)

Edited by madmax

I don't understand your point. If the student doesn't write the test, they should get a zero. If the student shows up but doesn't write the test, they should get a zero. If the student shows up, only answers a handful of questions and they're all completely wrong, they should get a zero. I'm not sure what you mean by "earning" a zero. If a student is a jerk, the teacher should not be taking it out on them by giving them zeroes that aren't a result of their work.

Setting the kids up for failure. As a comment appeared in the article today about it.

Scenario 1

Boss - did you get that report done I needed by today?

Worker - No.

Boss - Ok no problem, we can try later.

Scenario 2

Boss - Did you get that report done I needed by today?

Worker - No.

Boss - Pack your stuff up, you're fired.

Which do you think takes place in the real world?

Let's replace your dialogue with the events unfolding in Alberta.

Scenario 1

Boss: did you abide that policy mandated to us yet?

Teacher: No. It's a stupid policy.

Boss: It's been mandated to us. Do it!

Teacher: No.

(rinse and repeat numerous times)

Boss: It's not your job to decide policy. You're a teacher. You can't fabricate your own policy any more than you can fabricate your own biased curriculum.

Teacher: No!

Boss: You're fired!

School doesn't teach discipline. Parents do. Many students have shitty parents or parents on the threshold of survival who can't focus on their child's learning. These students have a disadvantage from the start. The no zero policy tries to address this by creating a buffer zone for these kids to buy them some time to develop adult level discipline without snuffing out hope. If all kids had adult level discipline and insight, they wouldn't need parents would they? We'd have 13 year olds all over the place in their own apartments living on student loans lol. The difference between a zero and an incomplete, psychologically, to a student, is HUGE! The policy works. That's why it's there.

Parents are a child's instrument to learning. Show me a good student and I'll show you a good parent. Show me a good student from a bad home and I'll show you some great policy.

Let's replace your dialogue with the events unfolding in Alberta.

Scenario 1

Boss: did you abide that policy mandated to us yet?

Teacher: No. It's a stupid policy.

Boss: It's been mandated to us. Do it!

Teacher: No.

(rinse and repeat numerous times)

Boss: It's not your job to decide policy. You're a teacher. You can't fabricate your own policy any more than you can fabricate your own biased curriculum.

Teacher: No!

Boss: You're fired!

School doesn't teach discipline. Parents do. Many students have shitty parents or parents on the threshold of survival who can't focus on their child's learning. These students have a disadvantage from the start. The no zero policy tries to address this by creating a buffer zone for these kids to buy them some time to develop adult level discipline without snuffing out hope. If all kids had adult level discipline and insight, they wouldn't need parents would they? We'd have 13 year olds all over the place in their own apartments living on student loans lol. The difference between a zero and an incomplete, psychologically, to a student, is HUGE! The policy works. That's why it's there.

Parents are a child's instrument to learning. Show me a good student and I'll show you a good parent. Show me a good student from a bad home and I'll show you some great policy.

So in other words we don't need teachers anymore, just pass them. It will save us alot of money. A teacher is there to teach, not to hand out passing grades.

while it's a generalization i agree, kids get their motivation from their parents, why do some ethnic cultures kids seem to do better than others? culture, their parents demand it of them...the same applies to canadian kids, if their parents aren't concerned their kids won't be bothered either...

So in other words we don't need teachers anymore, just pass them. It will save us alot of money. A teacher is there to teach, not to hand out passing grades.

Which also seems to facilitate entitlement. This no zero policy sets kids up for failure, because they don't understands the consequences of not completing assignments. I got some well deserved 0's in school because of unfinished projects. I even had to redo one team assignment completely because I did not do my work. I got a 0, and I also got a 0 on the redone assignment. And that was fine with me. I failed to do the assignment so I deserved a zero. That was grade 6.

So keep passing these kids and then you will be scratching your head as to why they cannot even put a simple burger together as they are asking you if you want fries with that.

I also got a 0 on the redone assignment. And that was fine with me. I failed to do the assignment so I deserved a zero. That was grade 6.

that wasn't right either you did the assignment and should've been rewarded for doing so even if it was with a reduction...university students are given reduced marks for late completed work but not a zero... and that reflects the real world where there can be financial penalties for not meeting deadlines...if the construction industry faced the same consequences as you did for not meeting a deadline the entire industry would come to a complete standstill...