Christine Fife for Kitchener Waterloo

Last night I was in Kitchener Waterloo for the nomination of Catherine Fife!

The church was packed and the energy there was incredible!

Many of the big hitters for the ONDP were there and it was a fantastic evening.

Catherine is a very talented up and coming MPP that will make an outstanding addition to the NDP arsenal of talent.

She is being compared to Elizabeth Whitmer due to her lengthy resume,particularly in regards to education.

Voters in Kitchener Waterloo are lucky to have the opportunity to choose Catherine Fife!

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hilarious Witmer is gave up her job to chair the labour board meanwhile Fife will give up her job as a chair of the waterloo region school board, presindency of the ontario boards association and vicepresendency of the federal boards association.

This is all about keeping the liberals as a minority government.

Edited by login

Never hear of her so I went searching and found this.... http://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news/fifes-ndp-nomination-uncontested/

The Tory candidate, Tracey Weiler, has an impressive history. More important, she ran against 2 other candidates for the nomination.

The NDP candidate was acclaimed - no one ran against her.

To people of my persuasion, to get acclaimed for a nomination is kind of a cheap win. Bothers my populist streak.

I can't see Ms. Fife taking this riding. It has always been strong Tory country. What will be more interesting is how well the Liberal candidate does. So far they haven't come up with even one candidate, let alone enough to make it a nomination race.

Still, voters have done some pretty unexpected things before. I wouldn't want to make any prediction just yet

The Tory candidate, Tracey Weiler, has an impressive history. More important, she ran against 2 other candidates for the nomination.

To people of my persuasion, to get acclaimed for a nomination is kind of a cheap win. Bothers my populist streak.

I can't see Ms. Fife taking this riding. It has always been strong Tory country. What will be more interesting is how well the Liberal candidate does. So far they haven't come up with even one candidate, let alone enough to make it a nomination race.

Still, voters have done some pretty unexpected things before. I wouldn't want to make any prediction just yet

I was at the nomination meeting in KW and she had to be voted in!Acclamations are not allowed.But true nobody ran against her.

However that was not the case when Whitmer retired!

I was in contact with the NDP riding association immediately and there was another woman that considering running.It is not clear to me at this point as to why she did not make the run against Fife?

Fife has a strong senior support and is already an elected officer!So for Fife this is another election that she can win.She has confidence and strong grass root community support.

You are right in not trying to predict this one.

WWWTT

I was at the nomination meeting in KW and she had to be voted in!Acclamations are not allowed.But true nobody ran against her.

However that was not the case when Whitmer retired!

I was in contact with the NDP riding association immediately and there was another woman that considering running.It is not clear to me at this point as to why she did not make the run against Fife?

Fife has a strong senior support and is already an elected officer!So for Fife this is another election that she can win.She has confidence and strong grass root community support.

You are right in not trying to predict this one.

WWWTT

Well, I'm just going by history, WWWTT. It's not as if the NDP has traditionally lost by a nose in this riding. I find that changes of the scale necessary to give Fife a win are very rare in Canadian politics.

Still, I would never say never. We have seen big waves of change before. The fact that the NDP swept Quebec is proof of that. As far as this riding, however, I would equate an NDP win to be like filling an inside straight.

Well, I'm just going by history, WWWTT. It's not as if the NDP has traditionally lost by a nose in this riding. I find that changes of the scale necessary to give Fife a win are very rare in Canadian politics.

Still, I would never say never. We have seen big waves of change before. The fact that the NDP swept Quebec is proof of that. As far as this riding, however, I would equate an NDP win to be like filling an inside straight.

I guess you've got Harper history then or you are not looking at enough data.

But regardless this is a bi election and in bi elections grass roots reign supreme,Fifes advantage so far.

WWWTT

Keep in mind Wild that this riding was Elizabeth Whitmer's riding,not a pc riding.

If the pc or the liberals want this one they will have to forward a strong candidate.

I would not take the Kitchener Waterloo voters for granted!

WWWTT

Keep in mind Wild that this riding was Elizabeth Whitmer's riding,not a pc riding.

If the pc or the liberals want this one they will have to forward a strong candidate.

I would not take the Kitchener Waterloo voters for granted!

WWWTT

Of course not, WWWTT. Still, an objective viewpoint is always more accurate than simple hype. This forum is not a campaign debate meeting. We are debating what is likely to happen in the real world.

I respect your passion but passion doesn't win poker games. You have to understand the odds first and THEN you add your own style!

Otherwise, it's no longer an informed debate but simply different church choirs trying to drown each other out.

Of course not, WWWTT. Still, an objective viewpoint is always more accurate than simple hype. This forum is not a campaign debate meeting. We are debating what is likely to happen in the real world.

I respect your passion but passion doesn't win poker games. You have to understand the odds first and THEN you add your own style!

Otherwise, it's no longer an informed debate but simply different church choirs trying to drown each other out.

Well I was out there man talking with people and with one of the candidates.

Can you say the same?

And this is about view points and this is mine.

I guess you just can't take it then.

WWWTT

Well I was out there man talking with people and with one of the candidates.

Can you say the same?

And this is about view points and this is mine.

I guess you just can't take it then.

WWWTT

There you go again. If I don't agree with you, I "just can't take it then". You wonder why we have threads about the left being more intolerant of other views?

What people did you talk to? People attending the meeting? You don't think they may have been just a teensy bit biased?

Now you say "one of the candidates". Didn't you tell us Fife was the only name on the nomination ballot?

You are entitled to your opinion but you must be prepared to defend it if it doesn't make sense, at least in some respects. This IS a debating forum, you know! Or do you think we should all just shout out whatever opinion we hold and wait for some one to agree with it, even if it contradicts their own opinions.

"just can't take it"? Why do you always respond to disagreement with a personal attack? I didn't think I was being snide in my responses to you, unlike your tone with me. It's human nature not to keep talking to people that are not civil towards you.

I had thought we were all here to thrash out ideas, in a search for truth. I guess we don't share that view. Whatever, that is your right but my right is just not to keep participating.

As for Fife, we shall eventually see who is a better prophet, you or me. Rest assured that if you are right and I am wrong I won't carp at you. I hope you will feel the same if things prove reversed.

There you go again.

1980 Ronald Regan quote from televised presidential debate with Jimmy Carter.

Lets just agree to disagree.

In the meantime there are others hear interested in hearing my view point and this is an election where I will be supporting one specific candidate!

It is literally my job to insure that my candidate wins.If you wish to help yours,then that's up to you.

Oh and by the way,if you wish to dictate how I should contribute to this forum,then expect more of the same from me.

WWWTT

1980 Ronald Regan quote from televised presidential debate with Jimmy Carter.

Lets just agree to disagree.

In the meantime there are others hear interested in hearing my view point and this is an election where I will be supporting one specific candidate!

It is literally my job to insure that my candidate wins.If you wish to help yours,then that's up to you.

Oh and by the way,if you wish to dictate how I should contribute to this forum,then expect more of the same from me.

WWWTT

So its your job to use MLW, a national board, as a campaigning vehicle for your candidate in that one riding? I wasn't aware that MLW was supposed to be a campaign vehicle for anyone! When I was a Director with Reform in my riding we all thought we were supposed to hammer in our own signs and pay for our own advertising.

Oh well. Live and learn.

We agree to disagree. As for "more of the same from me", that is precisely my complaint! You are rude! Simply for disagreeing with you! That's why you remind me of Rush Limbaugh!

I'm simply saying that we can disagree without taking it personally. The forum for that is rubble.com.

So its your job to use MLW, a national board, as a campaigning vehicle for your candidate in that one riding? I wasn't aware that MLW was supposed to be a campaign vehicle for anyone! When I was a Director with Reform in my riding we all thought we were supposed to hammer in our own signs and pay for our own advertising.

Actually my thread is in provincial politics,nothing wrong there since it is a provincial bi election.

I am informing other members,who are interested in politics about a candidate,my experience and my opinion,once again nothing wrong.

If you do not like it then report.

If the admin. agrees then I will comply-you win.

If I do not here anything,I continue to contribute as before.

If you think I am taking this personal,well that's just not any of your business is it now?

WWWTT

Not NDP turf, but It sounds like betwen 300 and 400 attended an acclaimation. Call it what you want, but that is not normal for an NDP nomination and it appears that others wanting to run against her knew she was going to sweep the floor.

Its a Tory riding to lose, all bets are on... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we go!

The writ has been dropped!And it looks like Sept.6th will be the day.

I would have thought he would stay away from that day because that was the election day that saw Rae take power in 1990 away from Peterson.Odd?(maybe I'm wrong)

WWWTT

Well here we go!

The writ has been dropped!And it looks like Sept.6th will be the day.

I would have thought he would stay away from that day because that was the election day that saw Rae take power in 1990 away from Peterson.Odd?(maybe I'm wrong)

WWWTT

The very last thing the Ontario NDP want is anyone mentioning Rae's win during a by-election campaign!

Don't believe me? Go ahead and try it! It should provide a lot of amusement to those watching.

The very last thing the Ontario NDP want is anyone mentioning Rae's win during a by-election campaign!

Don't believe me? Go ahead and try it! It should provide a lot of amusement to those watching.

Agreed...

A good campaigner would keep the KW election focus on

Arrogance and Opportunism.

Liberal Arrogance and strategy to get the seat.

PC Witmer Opportunism to accept the position at the WSIB

This is definitely the PCs seat to lose.

Interesting that a few weeks back I commented that the NDP was not in this race and now it is a 3 way race according to the latest forum poll.

Agreed...

A good campaigner would keep the KW election focus on

Arrogance and Opportunism.

Liberal Arrogance and strategy to get the seat.

PC Witmer Opportunism to accept the position at the WSIB

This is definitely the PCs seat to lose.

Interesting that a few weeks back I commented that the NDP was not in this race and now it is a 3 way race according to the latest forum poll.

Max, you make a great deal of sense!

Actually, I am continually struck by how you virtually always make sense. Even when we disagree I have to respect your viewpoint as informed.

And you an NDP'er! Max, I will be 60 this fall and I can truthfully say I have never met an NDP supporter like you!

At any NDP functions, you must be very lonely! :P