The NDP Fight Back with Their Own Ads

Er... No.
Well, this NDP attack-ad of Harper is lame.

If the NDP wants to attack Harper, it should find his weak point, and go for the jugular. It must ensure that the ad puts federal Liberals on side.

----

I happen to think that Harper's weak point is that, perceptions, he does not play well with others.

Moreover, I reckon that this debate will happen primarily in southern Ontario, and ideology is not an issue. But what do I know.

Edited by August1991

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of 2008 Conservatives were saying that there was no recession. Yet, they had blown through the surplus and were running a massive deficit.

I'm on record as strongly opposing the reduction in the GST.

Nevertheless, you're engaging in wild exaggeration. If the year had run out, and if they hadn't done anything during it to reduce spending or increase income then they MIGHT have had a small deficit. But that didn't happen.

As to the idea they 'blew through' the surplus. You can't use that sort of terminology for tax decreases. If they'd spent it on more programs, running up the budget like, say, McGuinty in Ontario or whastername in Alberta, then yes, but as it is, no. They reduced taxes. That's not blowing through a surplus. That's returning it to the people who earned it.

It doesn't really help that the government cut the GST, contrary to the advice of many economists.

Dunno. Maybe that new income available helped cushion the fall in consumer spending? Whatever, it wasn't something I'd have done. I like to pay down bills before cutting income.

I'm not ignoring it.

Think of this, it's amazing how the government can come up with millions out of nowhere for pet projects (ie, $28 million to re-enact the War of 1812), but when there's an actual economic crisis there just wasn't any money for it and they had to run headlong into debt to cover it.

Finding $28 million is not quite the same as finding $60 billion, you know. There's only so much spare change in the cupboard.

Do you actually think that if the government had acted 'responsibly' they'd be able to find $60 billion all of a sudden without borrowing?

Please! :rolleyes:

Finding $28 million is not quite the same as finding $60 billion, you know. There's only so much spare change in the cupboard.

Do you actually think that if the government had acted 'responsibly' they'd be able to find $60 billion all of a sudden without borrowing?

Please! :rolleyes:

They really need those jets, choppers, and ships, right?

But the government manages to find the money for it.
And so maybe the wedge issue is not our religion/language, but rather how we feel about how our government spends our money.

----

But in Canada, I reckon that ideology, tax policy, government spending is not the issue. In Canada, southern Ontario voters specifically, choose a federal politician that seems to get along with other Canadians.

If I were a southern Ontario voter, I'd choose the same way too.

Edited by August1991

If the NDP wants to attack Harper, it should find his weak point, and go for the jugular. It must ensure that the ad puts federal Liberals on side.

I happen to think that Harper's weak point is that, perceptions, he does not play well with others.

They did find their weak point.

Keep in mind that this add does not appeal to conservatives.

And why should it?

This add targets the majority of Canadians that ARE on the left!

And when the majority of Canadians come out and vote they will vote NDP.

Any decent strategist will tell you that the ones that win are the ones that got their vote out!

Something that the liberals failed miserably at.

WWWTT

While I'm disappointed in the NDP for playing along with stupid games, what else are they to do? The Liberals ignored the Conservative ads and it crushed Ignatieff come election time because they had built up a narrative before the writ was even dropped.

You're disappointed with the NDP for reminding Canadians of the consequences of electing a conservative government?

Whos side are you on man?

WWWTT

You're disappointed with the NDP for reminding Canadians of the consequences of electing a conservative government?

Whos side are you on man?

WWWTT

I'm on the side that doesn't want to see partisan propaganda from the parties outside an election period.

There's no doubt that they're needed. Healthcare, education, and old age security are also needed.

One does not necessarily exclude the other. If military purchases are made when there is a need, and funding is steady and consistent regardless of the government in power it would be more affordable, instead some government cut the budget and postpone major purchases until they become someone else's problem and all of a sudden instead of replacing equipment as the need arises and its lifespan expires we prolong it which costs more money in maintenance and in many cases is down right dangerous.

The Liberals did not save taxpayers money, they just passed the bill to a government a decade later when it becomes overwhelming since instead of piecemeal purchases now all of the equipment comes in at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIH-dknpjVQ

This is the political climate that the Conservatives have created and I find it appalling. Canada under Conservative rule is one non-stop political campaign with parties churning out their respective propaganda.

While I'm disappointed in the NDP for playing along with stupid games, what else are they to do? The Liberals ignored the Conservative ads and it crushed Ignatieff come election time because they had built up a narrative before the writ was even dropped.

Edit: corrected link embedding

The most misleading ad- so much for ethics by the NDP

Canadian political hit pieces, at least the thirty-second TV spots, are far more slanderous than in the USA. Canada certainly doesn't need any tips from America when it comes to playing dirty politics, which includes outright lying and slanderous innuendo.

you must be speaking about the NDP

Shady, do you have anything of substance to add to the discussion? Simply replying "nonsense" to everything people say without actually contributing to the discussion is some of the laziest trolling I've ever seen.

canada did better than most nations during the 2008 meltdown. who do you "blame" for that

canada did better than most nations during the 2008 meltdown. who do you "blame" for that

What meltdown? Harper told me in October of 2008 in fact said it on television right in the middle of the "melt down" that it wouldn't effect Canada in the least. Look at this we got a lefty over here. Don't know there was no melt down Harper told me so.

Always trying to re-write history to suit your needs. DAMN LEFTIES and what they call FACTS. I call facts the things Harper said right or wrong.

What meltdown? Harper told me in October of 2008 in fact said it on television right in the middle of the "melt down" that it wouldn't effect Canada in the least. Look at this we got a lefty over here. Don't know there was no melt down Harper told me so.

Always trying to re-write history to suit your needs. DAMN LEFTIES and what they call FACTS. I call facts the things Harper said right or wrong.

:lol: ya I don't recall the exact words but to the best of my recollection harper claimed canada wouldn't have a recession and no deficit :lol:...he lied or he was an idiot take your pick...

better than which countries? zimbabwe? USA?...why not mention those countries with our level of industrial development that did better than us...canada as well as it did in spite of harper not because of harper, credit paul martin and our abundant natural resources for that...