If you saw a Dog in a car on a hot day. . .

In Southern Ontario yesterday . . . It was HOT!!!

A daft couple left their doggie in a car for 2 hours and the widdle puppy died. :(

And they drove hours to attend some dog festival called Woofstock earlier in the day. :lol:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/ontario-pair-charged-after-dog-left-in-hot-car-in-toronto-area-dies/article4247088/

Two dogs were found on the opposite ends of Toronto today in the owners car today. :unsure:

This is not a black and white issue. No problem leaving a dog in a car on a 20 degree C day for a little bit to pick something up. But not when it's this hot, or when it's -10 C.

Anyway people love dogs but would you dare to break someone's window to save the dog. They are legally property, they don't have civil rights so you could get charged for doing that.

Whatcha think?

Edited by Boges

In Southern Ontario yesterday . . . It was HOT!!!

A daft couple left their doggie in a car for 2 hours and the widdle puppy died. :(

And they drove hours to attend some dog festival called Woofstock earlier in the day. :lol:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/ontario-pair-charged-after-dog-left-in-hot-car-in-toronto-area-dies/article4247088/

Two dogs were found on the opposite ends of Toronto today in the owners car today. :unsure:

This is not a black and white issue. No problem leaving a dog in a car on a 20 degree C day for a little bit to pick something up. But not when it's this hot, or when it's -10 C.

Anyway people love dogs but would you dare to break someone's window to save the dog. They are legally property, they don't have civil rights so you could get charged for doing that.

Whatcha think?

Animal cruelty, if you see something that you think is animal cruelty you can act to protect the animal.

This is not a black and white issue.

Yes it is. If hot out, leave dog home or someone in the car.

No problem leaving a dog in a car on a 20 degree C day for a little bit to pick something up. But not when it's this hot, or when it's -10 C.

Sorry dude, fallacy.

20C is plenty hot when a car is air tight and in the sun. It will double in a mere 10-15 minutes.

Whatcha think?

You could get charged, but I doubt anyone will.

Once I have broken the window, I will then reach out and break something else.....his nose.

How could these otherwise sane kids be so stupid. Is Sudbury that much coller or something they didnt think it would happen?

Yes it is. If hot out, leave dog home or someone in the car.

Sorry dude, fallacy.

20C is plenty hot when a car is air tight and in the sun. It will double in a mere 10-15 minutes.

You could get charged, but I doubt anyone will.

Once I have broken the window, I will then reach out and break something else.....his nose.

How could these otherwise sane kids be so stupid. Is Sudbury that much coller or something they didnt think it would happen?

What about 15 C? What if you'll be gone for 5 minutes.

These tools left their dog in the car for 2 hours. Of course it's not a black and white issue.

Oh and if you'd assault someone for that you'd probably be facing more severe charges than the person leaving the dog in the car.

What about 15 C? What if you'll be gone for 5 minutes.

The assumption was to be gone the same amount as the kids yesterday.

These tools left their dog in the car for 2 hours. Of course it's not a black and white issue.

It is black and white.

Yesterday was hot-dont leave the dog in there.

Let me ask you....where is the grey in this scenario?

Oh and if you'd assault someone for that you'd probably be facing more severe charges than the person leaving the dog in the car.

Actually the cruelty charge is worse since it ioncludes the ability to slap a $10G fine on top of 5 years.

Assault is 5 years and no penalty fee.

To be honest, I doubt I would assault some schmub who is just too stupid to get it, however, someone who I told "dont leave the dog in there" and he did and shrugged off as he walked away.....well , not so sure.

Guest Manny

To be honest, I doubt I would assault some schmub who is just too stupid to get it, however, someone who I told "dont leave the dog in there" and he did and shrugged off as he walked away.....well , not so sure.

You seem to have some anger issues, deeming it your right to assault others for being "stupid" in your estimation. Suggest, punching yourself in the nose when this happens.

Let me ask you....where is the grey in this scenario?

You misunderstood me. I mean that the issue of leaving a dog in the car isn't a black and white one. There are acceptable times to do it. Doing it yesterday in Toronto wasn't one of those times.

You seem to have some anger issues, deeming it your right to assault others for being "stupid" in your estimation. Suggest, punching yourself in the nose when this happens.

:lol::lol:

No anger issues,just dont like idiots who knowingly harm an innocent dog for no good reason .

I suppose you just dont care. No problem.

You misunderstood me. I mean that the issue of leaving a dog in the car isn't a black and white one. There are acceptable times to do it. Doing it yesterday in Toronto wasn't one of those times.

Fair enough. I couldnt understand what was grey about...30+C temps, no shade, locked tight car, 2 hours est.

Guest Manny

:lol::lol:

No anger issues,just dont like idiots who knowingly harm an innocent dog for no good reason .

I suppose you just dont care. No problem.

Actually I do care, don't get me wrong. Especially if we're talkin cute little puppies with big soleful eyes. I can see how that would get someone really, really angry...

Guest American Woman

It sounds as if the tragedy was caused purely by human error; apparently the 20 year old owner of the dog loves animals and has rescued animals, including the dog in question. According to the article, she lost track of time and underestimated the heat. She did have a window cracked, and apparently thought that would be enough.

I point this out only because I would have wagered that the incident wasn't due to lack of concern or caring; ie: an insensitive attitude. This isn't an isolated incident, so perhaps there should be more informational ads aimed at educating people about the dangers of leaving animals in the car this time of the year.

At any rate, I feel for the young woman who lost her pet. It was a life lesson learned in a very difficult way. Apparently she was immediately fired from her job, and I would guess this may affect her future dreams of opening an animal related company some day, but her sadness is over the dog's death. For that she has my sympathy.

Owner of dog that died in hot car loved animals, family says

Edited by American Woman

At any rate, I feel for the young woman who lost her pet. It was a life lesson learned in a very difficult way. Apparently she was immediately fired from her job, and I would guess this may affect her future dreams of opening an animal related company some day, but her sadness is over the dog's death. For that she has my sympathy.

Good comment American Woman!!!

I would like to add that I hope the publicity that this case generates will inform others and prevent similar tragedies from happening!

WWWTT

Good comment American Woman!!!

I would like to add that I hope the publicity that this case generates will inform others and prevent similar tragedies from happening!

WWWTT

I'd definitely smash the window before waiting until the fire department arrives. For me this would be no different than responding to a situation requiring first aid, after ensuring there's no danger to me I'd move the patient away from the thing that's hurting them. The sooner first aid is administered the likelier the patient will survive. It's just that simple.

It sounds as if the tragedy was caused purely by human error; apparently the 20 year old owner of the dog loves animals and has rescued animals, including the dog in question. According to the article, she lost track of time and underestimated the heat. She did have a window cracked, and apparently thought that would be enough.

I point this out only because I would have wagered that the incident wasn't due to lack of concern or caring; ie: an insensitive attitude. This isn't an isolated incident, so perhaps there should be more informational ads aimed at educating people about the dangers of leaving animals in the car this time of the year.

Owner of dog that died in hot car loved animals, family says

They're saying that now because her name has been released and she worked at a Pet Food Store. She'll probably have to find new work after this incident.

Call me uncaring, but I find it hard to believe anyone that is of sound mind can loose track of 2 hours. I had my dog in the car on Sunday and she was panting uncontrollably after 5 minutes in there even with the AC on. I wouldn't have left her in there. And if I did think I could get away with 5 minutes or less, away from the car, I'd be afraid some dog lover would break my window.

Perhaps they should have taken turns walking the dog while they were in the mall getting whatever they wanted.

Edited by Boges

I dont want to pile on this girl for her actions but her actions were negligent , and not just 'oopsie' type either.

But...

Clue #1-The mall in question is one giant parking lot void of any trees offering any shade. There are small trees, but even a dog would have problem getting shade from them.

Clue #2- it was hot out, quite hot in fact and that woman and her bf (hubby?) would no doubt have been sweating on the walk from the car to the mall.

Clue #3-the fact she 'loved animals' and worked in a pet store, where there would be posters and pamphlets concerning cars and pets in summer.

One half minute thinking about the dog and the weather that day, the animal lover should have figured out what a stupid idea it was.

You are right, it is a life lesson and one she will pay dearly for.

It makes sense to smash the window, but there's a lot of things to consider.

You come across a car with a dog in it on a hot day. Would you not have to consider how long the animal has been in there? How would you have any way of knowing this? What if the person was literally running in, dropping something off somewhere, and coming back out. All within a couple minutes, but you come upon the car in the interim. Do you stay with the car for a few minutes to see if the person is coming back? How long do you wait? Do you just smash the window immediately? What if the windows are cracked a couple inches? Do you still smash the window? Do you wait longer before smashing the window? Do you assess the condition of the animal in the car? Can you assess the condition of the animal just by looking at it?

Would you not have to consider how long the animal has been in there? How would you have any way of knowing this? What if the person was literally running in, dropping something off somewhere, and coming back out. All within a couple minutes, but you come upon the car in the interim. Do you stay with the car for a few minutes to see if the person is coming back? How long do you wait? Do you just smash the window immediately? What if the windows are cracked a couple inches? Do you still smash the window? Do you wait longer before smashing the window? Do you assess the condition of the animal in the car? Can you assess the condition of the animal just by looking at it?

You're right. It's one thing to think about taking matters into your own hands for the sake of helping; quite another thing to jump the gun and make a terrible mistake.

Guest American Woman

They're saying that now because her name has been released and she worked at a Pet Food Store. She'll probably have to find new work after this incident.

There would be proof of what she's saying, so I don't doubt that it's true. She very well may have to find different work, which is too bad. Seems to me someone who has learned from their mistakes would be a good candidate to work in the field that he/she loves; this will show how she handles making a (very public) big mistake, and if she does handle it and learns from it, she very well could have more going for her than someone who has never had to face this type of situation.

Call me uncaring, but I find it hard to believe anyone that is of sound mind can loose track of 2 hours. I had my dog in the car on Sunday and she was panting uncontrollably after 5 minutes in there even with the AC on. I wouldn't have left her in there. And if I did think I could get away with 5 minutes or less, away from the car, I'd be afraid some dog lover would break my window.

The girl is 20; I know I have better judgment now than I did when I was 20. It just seems to me we are all so quick to criticize someone for their mistakes and say 'I would never do that!.'

Obviously this girl would have never done what she did if she thought she was endangering her dog. You said your dog was panting after 5 minutes with the AC on - that you would never leave your dog. What if her dog wasn't panting? Dogs all take the heat differently, so perhaps she had no signs that it would be distressed. A lot of people think a cracked window will be enough. A lot of people don't realize that a car gets a lot hotter than a house without AC. Again, she was only 20.

Perhaps they should have taken turns walking the dog while they were in the mall getting whatever they wanted.

Hindsight is 20/20. Obviously she did the wrong thing. I doubt if she's the only person who made this bad judgement call, but hers ended in tragedy.

As a side note, even the emergency personal didn't immediately break the window - like so many here claim they would have. They tried to get water through the opening first, and only broke the window as the dog showed more signs of distress. So did they do the wrong thing too? Would the dog have made it if they had acted differently? Should they be judged?

Guest American Woman

I dont want to pile on this girl for her actions but her actions were negligent , and not just 'oopsie' type either.

No, not the "oopsie type," but a human mistake.

But...

Clue #1-The mall in question is one giant parking lot void of any trees offering any shade. There are small trees, but even a dog would have problem getting shade from them.

The window was cracked. She obviously thought that would be enough.

Clue #2- it was hot out, quite hot in fact and that woman and her bf (hubby?) would no doubt have been sweating on the walk from the car to the mall.

She was only 20; a lot of young people don't sweat during such a walk. Seriously - young people are much less affected by heat. How far was the car from the entrance? I don't recall reading that.

Clue #3-the fact she 'loved animals' and worked in a pet store, where there would be posters and pamphlets concerning cars and pets in summer.

That's an assumption on your part. I've been in several pet stores and have never seen such information posted.

One half minute thinking about the dog and the weather that day, the animal lover should have figured out what a stupid idea it was.

That's your judgment.

You are right, it is a life lesson and one she will pay dearly for.

Yes, she will. As others of us have not had tragic results to our bad judgments. Doesn't mean we've always shown better judgment - sorta like "There but for the grace of God [or luck/good fortune], go I."

Anyway, I'm guessing we just aren't going to see eye-to-eye on this.

Wow AW you're making a lot of excuses for this girl. 20 is young, but she's still an adult, she can vote, she can consume alcohol in Ontario, she can clearly obtain a drivers license and own a car.

I see it this way. Either she was willfully ignorant of how to take care of a dog or she was more interested in going into a gigantic mall to shop than care for her dog. Either way it makes her look horrible.

No, not the "oopsie type," but a human mistake.

You wouldnt categorize her as being negligent? I say that anything someone has to think about then decide is not merely a human mistake. ( not all will agree)

The window was cracked. She obviously thought that would be enough.

She was only 20; a lot of young people don't sweat during such a walk. Seriously - young people are much less affected by heat. How far was the car from the entrance? I don't recall reading that.

Thats just the thing. The moment she (and he too-he is as guilty as her) the teo of them opened the car door they would have been met with a blast of heat. It was one of those days that we all get in S ontario and Michigan. You are correct in that she may not have sweat, but she would definitely been hit w a blast of heat walking towards the entrance.

That's your judgment.

Quite true and cannot refute. But it is also factual .

Yes, she will. As others of us have not had tragic results to our bad judgments. Doesn't mean we've always shown better judgment - sorta like "There but for the grace of God [or luck/good fortune], go I."

Anyway, I'm guessing we just aren't going to see eye-to-eye on this.

No theres the truth. We all make mistakes , but I am not too sure we can use that reasoning when a loss of life has occurred. (thankfully not a child-baby in there)

I dont think we are far removed in our thinking and agree for the most part.

Guest American Woman

Wow AW you're making a lot of excuses for this girl.

I'm not making excuses. Just stating the facts.

20 is young, but she's still an adult, she can vote, she can consume alcohol in Ontario, she can clearly obtain a drivers license and own a car.

Yes, she can do all of those things, but are you saying your judgment hasn't improved since you were 20? Life experiences tend to result in better judgment. I sure did some things at 20 that I wouldn't do now - and quite frankly, that's why the U.S. raised the legal drinking age to 21.

I see it this way. Either she was willfully ignorant of how to take care of a dog or she was more interested in going into a gigantic mall to shop than care for her dog. Either way it makes her look horrible.

I don't think so - and I've explained why. Obviously we don't see it (judge it?) the same way.