Your Toronto Blue Jays

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looked good.

Its been hard to watch lately...lately? How about since early June?

Anyhow, with all the players coming off the DL soon, things hopefully will improve and they catch and pass Baltimore. Not easy for sure, but at the end of the day I expect them to be in the playoffs.

He looked good.

Its been hard to watch lately...lately? How about since early June?

Anyhow, with all the players coming off the DL soon, things hopefully will improve and they catch and pass Baltimore. Not easy for sure, but at the end of the day I expect them to be in the playoffs.

At this point being relevant in September would be almost good enough. They're certainly in the running for the Wildcard at the very least.

I know overthere hates the Jays pitching, but it doesn't appear they'll get any stars before the trade deadline. Right now a reliable bat is more essential.

Stroman is a stud and will only get better. Hutch is inconsistent but has pitched some gems this season. Happ has been a pleasant surprise. Buehrle is solid even though he hasn't posted a win since June 1st. He's been getting now run support.

The asking price for Jeff Samardzija was apparently Stroman and Sanchez. After seeing those guys pitch, I wouldn't do that trade. These guys are ready to contribute to the team NOW! They still can keep the nucleus of the team together for another season so I'd expect both guys would be better next year.

One really nice surprise is that Ryan Goins is hitting again. He was supposed to be the starting 2nd baseman but couldn't hit so he got sent back down. Well so far in this series he's been rather clutch.

When you get Lawrie and EE back you'll have a solid infield with Kawasaki as a solid back up if Goins does stay with the team. Was never sold on Juan Francisco at 3rd base.

Edited by Boges

I know overthere hates the Jays pitching

I do not hate their pitching, but feel strongly that it is their priniciplal weakness. Their lack of bench/depth is also a big problem. They are weak up the middle : catching, second and center fields need better players there every day.

But most of all their pitching..... They do have bright spots but overall they suck on the mound. ERA is a bellwether stat, much more important than wins or losses since it eliminates bats and bad fielding from the assessment of team pitching strength. The Jays being 24th overall in MLB team ERA is bad. Worse is how they compare to other 'good' teams. The Jays have a .524 win percentage now, and there are 12 teams with a better percentage, which means all the teams that are currently better than them. EVERY ONE OF Them has a better team ERA than the Jays.

It is not unusual for a mediocre/worse than average pitching team like the Jays to beat anybody on any given night. It is quite different to sustain a drive to a playoff position, you need reliability from starters, relievers and a closer and right now the Jays don't have any of that.

They still can keep the nucleus of the team together for another season so I'd expect both guys would be better next year.

I realize that has been a Toronto sports mantra for several decades, but 'next year' is simply not good enough. I hope they do make the playoffs, but they don't get a pass for failing, not from me anyway. They have spent enough money lately to field a more competitive team, and the results are not there. Management failure.

If they don't make the playoffs this year, that will be the end for Alex Alphabet. Same for Gibbons.

Their ERA might have something to do with the relative failure of the bullpen. It's been a huge step back from last season. Would be interesting to see what the starters ERA is.

Winning 2 out of 3 in New York was huge this weekend. I'm looking for a sweep in Boston this week (crosses fingers).

They were lucky to win that first one in 18 games, but gutted it out in the second win.

They've won 3 series in a row.

Go Jays.

You thought they were lucky to win on Saturday? I guess that Dan Johnson Bloop was a bit lucky and the first baseman not going to first instead of spending 5 minutes trying to keep Melky from going home.

You could say the Jays were lucky yesterday that a pitcher allowed Colby get to third by trying to throw a pick off attempt into the stands.

How about Melky getting the last out yesterday sliding? Or Beltran hitting a 2-run homer in the 9th after Dan Johnson his a 3-run home run in the top of the inning (though I'd like to think Casey Jansen would have pitched a bit more careful had he only had a one run lead)

In the past the Jays wouldn't get breaks like that in the House that Jeter built.

Edited by Boges

I was thinking of Brian McCann who played the entire game at first like he had overdosed on ketamine. He gave the Jays the win on two plays.

Who's to say Melky wouldn't have scored if he hadn't waited there for a half hour letting the slow as bleep Narvaro make it to first.

Yesterday another run was scored when Jose Reyes couldn't properly throw to first I believe.

Defensive errors are equal opportunity.

Huzzah Huzzah! Alex makes a trade. No more 3 catchers as Kratz and that Aussie pitcher get sent off to KC for a right handed 3rd baseman named Valencia.

On Saturday the Yankees could trot out a battalion of left-handed pitchers knowing that the Jays had no righties on the bench.

Its a bit odd since the Jays have a right handed 3rd baseman named Lawrie back soon.

They could use a RH bat on the bench though, and apparently this guy also plays 2nd.

When though? Could be another few weeks or a month. This guy should be preferable to Francisco at 3rd. If EE stays out you'll need him at first anyway.

The problem this does pose is what to do with Kawasaki and/or Goins. It looks like Reyes is aging before our eyes so having those guys there to fill-in at short might be a good thing.

The Jays are auditioning everybody at second base.

Goins? He'll have to prove he can hit.

Kawasaki? Meh.

Tolleson? Nope.

Maybe the new guy.

Kawasaki has been clutch for them through this stretch. Goins had 4 hits last night. This new guy was not brought in to be a starter. He was brought in as a right-handed bat off the bench.

Kawasaki has been clutch for them through this stretch. Goins had 4 hits last night. This new guy was not brought in to be a starter. He was brought in as a right-handed bat off the bench.

Nah, I think he was brought in to platoon with Fransisco. FRancisco doesn't see many right hander fastballs anymore, and that is all he can hit.

Goins would have made this team late last year or early this year, but he absolutely shit the bed at the plate, twice. Like I said, he has to prove he can hit to stay with the big team.

Kawasaki is an entertaining, hardworking, versatile and minimally skilled kind of guy but I agree that he is having a better year at the plate than usual. In the field.... he's gonna have to get better if he wants to start, but he is 33 and only been in MLB <3 years, so.....

They need a starting 2nd base and center fielder.

Nah, I think he was brought in to platoon with Fransisco. FRancisco doesn't see many right hander fastballs anymore, and that is all he can hit.

Goins would have made this team late last year or early this year, but he absolutely shit the bed at the plate, twice. Like I said, he has to prove he can hit to stay with the big team.

Kawasaki is an entertaining, hardworking, versatile and minimally skilled kind of guy but I agree that he is having a better year at the plate than usual. In the field.... he's gonna have to get better if he wants to start, but he is 33 and only been in MLB <3 years, so.....

They need a starting 2nd base and center fielder.

I think it's hoped that Lawrie plays second when he's back and platoon 3rd. We don't know how long EE will be out and Francisco can play first.

Reyes was pulled from the game last night with a bit of a shoulder injury. It's nice having Kawasaki and Goins.

Reimold and/or Tolleson appear to be the odd men out when players come back from the DL or are added via a trade. Rasmusen was sent down to make room for Valencia. So they're rocking a 6-man bullpen.

Talks are that John Lester is being actively shopped around. I wouldn'tget rid of Stroman for him. Sure he's a proven quantity but he's a rent-a-player. Many are speculating he'll just sign back with Boston.

I think bolstering the bullpen might be more of a priority than adding a starter unless you can get a 4 or 5 better than Hutch or Happ without giving up Stroman.

Edited by Boges

I don't see any circumstances where the Jays get rid of Stroman or Sanchez.

The Jays aren't close enough that one pitcher will make a huge difference.

If Fransisco plays first every day, we are going to see a whole lot of bunts down that line.

I don't see any circumstances where the Jays get rid of Stroman or Sanchez.

The Jays aren't close enough that one pitcher will make a huge difference.

If Fransisco plays first every day, we are going to see a whole lot of bunts down that line.

Or put Bautista at first and Gose in Right. That weakens the lineup IMHO. I think Lind is the closest to being back but he's not a defensive asset, he's a better DH.

Tonight they have Francisco at first, Kawasaki at third and Rasmus at DH. Interesting.

Your comments illustrate the inherent weakness of the bench.

Gose is a marginal player, a speedster who does not really help the offence often. Not trying to be rude, but I wonder at his brainpower, he makes a lot of dumb mistakes in the field and on base. He might develop into a good player, but the Jays have an opportunity now, not 'next year'.

Lind is a huge asset against righties, not good against lefties. The window to get anything for him in a trade has passed.

Rasmus won't be here in a couple months, the Jays won't sign him and shouldn't. Strikes out way too much, average defensively.

Gose does not need to hit for power or average, what he needs is a big OBP.

Speed on the bases and a manager willing to use that speed will win close games on many nights.

The best play last night was the hit and run with Reyes at the plate. Perfect. More of that!!!!