Windows Phone or Android

With the next gen BB10 device coming out (a few versions under the "L" platform family), it will have the highest resolution display in the market (Beating the Iphone "retina display" by over 150dpi), It will have 16GBytes of internal eMMC memory along with an expansion port for a uSD card. The Camera will outperform the Iphone and Samsung Camera modules massively (both front facing and rear facing) with one being a specialy tuned 8M. The SW is SPECTACULAR now.. Check this demo out..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF2cLwPHaNY

he unit in the Video is NOT the next gen BB10 device.. The next gen is much thinner and uses a number of new construction techniques making it virtually bulletproof (Next gen Gorilla Glass Lens). The Ti OMAP processor will be the fastest processor in the market till mid 2013 and the Qualcom chip is very limited..

Proximity sensing, ALS, NFC and next Gen WiFi will all be enabled as will be a new approach to turning the handset on and off..

the BB10/QNX platform will be un-beatable.. Its true multitasking with the ability to run countless opporations in the back-ground... Its just a crying shame it soo frigging late to Market!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been with my lovely Android phone for a few weeks now. I freakin' love it!

How can iPhone users really look down their nose as Google when it comes to the phone.

Is there really anything that iOS does better than Android except for the the fact that you can play lots of video games them because the App Store is flooded with them.

Who uses their phone for full length console style video game anyway? 15-year-olds?

The big problem with Android is the OS upgrades. My Samsung comes with something called Gingerbread. But something called Icecream Sandwich has been out for months but Rogers wont give it to me. Now something called Jellybean has been announced. How long will it be before I get that?

One thing Apple has over Android is there is no variety in the hardware so people either can get the software for their phone or they cant. But I don't see that as a plus.

Edited by Boges

Galaxy S2...for at least a year now, I love it don't know how I ever managed without it...considering going to the bigger Samsung Note(?) but I'm not sure the increase in size and more convenient use for my big fingers is worth the increase in size...

You gotta tell them you want to cancel and be serious. I have a feeling they can tell if you're bluffing.

I actually called back again today to confirm and got a better deal.

$52 taxes in for a 500mb plan. If I go over that I can go up to a gig for only $5

I guess it's all about what you want and not what they're including. They wantrf to include My10. Do you have 10 people you talk to all the time? That's an expensive service.

So I get 100 texts messages free, 200 anytime minutes and free evenings and weekends starting at 6pm. That's perfectly fine for someone like me. Call display is a big feature I want, but I don't care about voice mail.

Why do I have to pay $70 for data and unlimited talk and text? I'm not a teenage girl, I'm married I live with the person I talk to the most.

I'm sure someone here got something better but this plan is only $6 more than I was paying before so I'm pretty happy

I was really tempted to go with WIND but I had a feeling their coverage was going to be a problem.

I have WIND Blackberry through work and you know what... it's pretty decent. Yes, the coverage area isn't huge, but if you are in one of theirs most of the time it's great, for travel outside, put $20 on your account for roaming. Unlimited North America calling and Unlimited data... $40/mth.

I also have an iPhone on the Rogers network, each month my rear end hurts just a little bit more... same(ish) package as you... $70 odd per month.

Considering going to the bigger Samsung Note(?) but I'm not sure the increase in size and more convenient use for my big fingers is worth the increase in size...

It's comically large for a phone. I have friends that have it. It's a good device if you use your phone a lot for work.

Just got the ICS update last night for my S2. :D

Edited by Boges

I have WIND Blackberry through work and you know what... it's pretty decent. Yes, the coverage area isn't huge, but if you are in one of theirs most of the time it's great, for travel outside, put $20 on your account for roaming. Unlimited North America calling and Unlimited data... $40/mth.

I also have an iPhone on the Rogers network, each month my rear end hurts just a little bit more... same(ish) package as you... $70 odd per month.

If you live in a city and never leave it's a good deal.

But the charges can rack up if you're out of an urban centre for a period of time. The texts cost money and so does using data. The long distance is cheaper than on Rogers but if you're out of area on Rogers, you can still text message and use data at no extra cost.

One thing that's nice about WIND is that if you're from Toronto but have to go to Vancouver, you can use your phone like you're at home. No long distance, no roaming.

Edited by Boges

If you're not going to get an iPhone, you might as well go with the company that has been riding Apple's coat-tails for the last 5 years or so: Samsung. Get yourself a Galaxy phone.

I have a Galaxy. It does everything an iphone does but better. Thats why Samsung is beating Apple in sales for superphones.

Edited by Boges

I have a Galaxy. It does everything an iphone does but better. Thats why Samsung is beating Apple in sales for superphones.

While that may be true, the Galaxy wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the iPhone. Samsung is really good at taking other people's products and tweaking them. They've never created anything original of their own in this market, however.

Edited by cybercoma

While that may be true, the Galaxy wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the iPhone. Samsung is really good at taking other people's products and tweaking them. They've never created anything original of their own in this market, however.

And Apple wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Microsoft. The iPhone wouldn't exist if it wasn't for RIM. General Motors wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Ford.

History is full of people taking someone else's ideas and trying to make them better.

And Apple wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Microsoft. The iPhone wouldn't exist if it wasn't for RIM. General Motors wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Ford.

History is full of people taking someone else's ideas and trying to make them better.

It's really not the same. Those companies have come up with original ideas and patents for their own things. Samsung, in the telecomm market and computer markets, have simply made clones of Apple products with minor insignificant tweaks.

Frankly, I don't really care. I like Samsung's products. I wouldn't dissuade someone from buying them. Thought, the truth is that their products themselves are not unique. They lost their court case in the US for replicating the iPad with their new Tab. The Blackberry and iPhone are entirely different platforms from the OS to the interface to the devices. That's the difference.

Nevertheless, Samsung makes excellent Macbook Pro ripoff laptops and the Galaxy phones are excellent devices.

It's really not the same. Those companies have come up with original ideas and patents for their own things. Samsung, in the telecomm market and computer markets, have simply made clones of Apple products with minor insignificant tweaks.

Frankly, I don't really care. I like Samsung's products. I wouldn't dissuade someone from buying them. Thought, the truth is that their products themselves are not unique. They lost their court case in the US for replicating the iPad with their new Tab. The Blackberry and iPhone are entirely different platforms from the OS to the interface to the devices. That's the difference.

Nevertheless, Samsung makes excellent Macbook Pro ripoff laptops and the Galaxy phones are excellent devices.

Other than the fact it has apps and a dock, I see very few things similar with the Current Android ICS Samsung Phone and the iPhone. The iPhone has a smaller screen and doesn't run nearly as fast. The Android phone is way more customizable than the iPhone

Other than the fact it has apps and a dock, I see very few things similar with the Current Android ICS Samsung Phone and the iPhone. The iPhone has a smaller screen and doesn't run nearly as fast. The Android phone is way more customizable than the iPhone

I've one daughter with a iphone 4 and another with a Blackberry...I see the BB being much better for txting my big fingers keep missiing the letters on the touch screen on my GS2...but I don't txt a lot so... the iphone has issues, lost calls mostly, I've never lost a call...the GS2 seems to be the superior product to me but then I'm technologically challenged and don't know much about these things, I only found out what an app was this year :rolleyes:

I've one daughter with a iphone 4 and another with a Blackberry...I see the BB being much better for txting my big fingers keep missiing the letters on the touch screen on my GS2...but I don't txt a lot so... the iphone has issues, lost calls mostly, I've never lost a call...the GS2 seems to be the superior product to me but then I'm technologically challenged and don't know much about these things, I only found out what an app was this year :rolleyes:

do you think it's possible to become addicted to smart phones?

do you think it's possible to become addicted to smart phones?

addicted to txting sure, some people can't put them down for a minute, I've seen many people txting while driving on the freeway WTF! what's so important that they can't wait until they get of the road...my one daughter keeps hers tucked into her bra day and night so she doesn't miss a txt...

my phone mostly is for business all my contacts are in there, txting, photos of my work,weather, GPS, technical info on the web ...other times it's useful for passing time when I'm waiting for mrs wyly while she shops in every shoe store in the mall...

addicted to txting sure, some people can't put them down for a minute, I've seen many people txting while driving on the freeway WTF! what's so important that they can't wait until they get of the road...my one daughter keeps hers tucked into her bra day and night so she doesn't miss a txt...

my phone mostly is for business all my contacts are in there, txting, photos of my work,weather, GPS, technical info on the web ...other times it's useful for passing time when I'm waiting for mrs wyly while she shops in every shoe store in the mall...

wyly, i hate it when i talk to someone face to face and our conversation is interrupted by a meaningless text. i know people who can't go 5 minutes without texting. you seem like a knowledgeable science person wyly, what do you think will be the long term effects of constant texting in say 20 years. or will there be no negative effects.

I'm technologically challenged and don't know much about these things, I only found out what an app was this year :rolleyes:

I'm challenged in the sense that I've yet to even really care what an app is.

Hah, I just noticed the stupid spell checker didn't challenge the word app. How's that for being with the times?

That's why their marketing says. I like that ad with the Hip Hop DJ's that say they use BB instead of another smartphone because they need a tool.

But it's total crap because a smartphone is only really as good as the apps you can download for it. And in that category RIM is failing miserably.

A phone is for communication. I use mine to call people, to text people, to email people. That is 95% of what I do with my phone and I bet it's the same for most adults.

The galaxy or Iphone might have a quarter of a million apps but I use none of them, and I bet that's the same for most adults, too.

I do have a galaxy, but I find the touch screen annoying in that I make a lot more spelling errors. The swipe feature is irritating too since I wind up calling people by accident. And even though I'm not a big user I have to recharge it every night or it dies.

Edited by Argus

And personally I'm coming to hate Apple as much as I ever hated Microsoft. Maybe more. Apple seems even more consumed by the need to control EVERYTHING, has just as few corporate ethics, and also insists on controlling what you see or watch or read on any of "their" devices. I don't need Apple approving my content, thanks, so I would never buy any Apple device.

A phone is for communication. I use mine to call people, to text people, to email people. That is 95% of what I do with my phone and I bet it's the same for most adults.

The galaxy or Iphone might have a quarter of a million apps but I use none of them, and I bet that's the same for most adults, too.

Well, aren't you and your imaginary majority of adults superior. :blink:

What's the big deal if kids, or, gasp, other adults use apps?

No skin off your nose.

I'm an adult and I use many apps - Newsify to keep my RSS feeds in order, RBC to do my banking, Facebook/Twitter for personal and business reasons, Flixster, Stocks/Currency/Realtor apps, calculator apps, Urban Spoon and Poynt apps to find restaurants when I'm travelling etc etc...

The point of an app is to be useful; whether it is to look up to see where, and when, a movie is playing, to transfer money between bank accounts, what planet is shining just above the horizon, or to kill some time playing chess, solitaire, or Angry Birds.

And you may be surprised at just how many times I have been at a board meeting during a playoff game and how thankful other adults are when I look up the score prior to and after I give them my reports.

I'm challenged in the sense that I've yet to even really care what an app is.

Hah, I just noticed the stupid spell checker didn't challenge the word app. How's that for being with the times?

i never cared either but playing around with a few apps that came on the phone i thought hey that's cool...now i search for apps, my galaxy is like Spock's tri-corder...gps, compass, flashlight, stud finder, something that detects electrical currents, magnetic fields, even a seismic detector you never know when you'll need to measure an earthquake :lol: and then there's angry birds while I'm waiting for mrs wyly in the shoe store... Edited by wyly

And this is exactly the reason RIM/BB is dying. They thought that their secure texting/e-mail phone would be all that their clientele needed.

But what they forgot is that a great number of people like using their phones for other reason. These new phones attract people that never thought they'd need a phone to send an e-mail for business purposes.

Superphones are now more like pocket computers than just phones. I find myself going on my actual home PC less and less now that I can do many of the same things on my phone.

Edited by Boges