The official, what’s your favourite and my wife won’t let me get this

Guest Derek L

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree with you Derek on the 870 Express but I also think the Wingmaster models are a LITTLE dodgy too, I've seen more with a wonky, worn out pump that anything tight and true.

I ordered myself a Benelli Super Nova a couple weeks ago, I wanted the synthetic in a 24 or 26" barrel but wouldn't you know Stoeger doesn't order those? I can get the APG model all day long but not in the black synthetic. I was also told it would most likely take 3 to 9 (9!!!!) months for it to come in....

I wish there as another importer (maybe there is?) that we could go with but Stoeger seems to have the corner with Frachi, Benelli and a few more.

Edited by Shakeyhands

Guest Derek L

I'd agree with you Derek on the 870 Express but I also think the Wingmaster models are a LITTLE dodgy too, I've seen more with a wonky, worn out pump that anything tight and true.

I ordered myself a Benelli Super Nova a couple weeks ago, I wanted the synthetic in a 24 or 26" barrel but wouldn't you know Stoeger doesn't order those? I can get the APG model all day long but not in the black synthetic. I was also told it would most likely take 3 to 9 (9!!!!) months for it to come in....

I wish there as another importer (maybe there is?) that we could go with but Stoeger seems to have the corner with Frachi, Benelli and a few more.

It really depends on the year/era it was manufactured and the version/grade of the gun. I’ve got several Wingmasters (two 12 gauge and my daughters 20 gauge) that vary in age from ~40 to ~30 years old, on top of a 870P (about 5 years old) that I haven’t had a single problem……..You can also add two 760 (both from the 70s) Gamemasters which share very similar dual action bars……….Again not a problem, but with that said, I’ve purchased a few years ago a Remington 7600 (follow on to 760) and have seen numerous family and friends purchase the cheapo Express 870.……..With both these guns, I’d tend to agree, that the quality isn’t there.

As for the Pump feeling wonky, it could be one of several things:

1. It’s not tight. Remove the fore cap and tighten the screw.

2. It has a cheapo after market stock/fore grip set that doesn’t fit proper

3. Something wrong with the Action bars (I doubt it)

In the end, the 870 has been around for years, and 10 million plus hunters, police officers and soldiers can’t be totally off the mark………In the end, all gun manufactures have been producing “value” versions that were usually available in the bigger stores for cheap prices……You get what you pay for.

As for Italian guns, though when working, they’re great, but when something goes wrong and you need replacement parts, hope you don’t mind waiting.

What I’m waiting for with much anticipation is this:

They have some big shoes to fill.....

Edited by Derek L

Guest Derek L

Especially when the best ones never leave Italy.

:)

To an extent, my wife got a few years back the Beretta 92, made in Italy, and had some issues with the firing pin safety, so we took it back to where we bought it. The store and Beretta were very good to us in terms of warranty coverage, but it did take a few months to get a replacement part in.........We have several less expensive Smith & Wesson M&P line guns and not a problem (For a tupperware gun)

On the subjects of shotguns and ducks...my uncle had a bunch of (I think) 2 gauge duck mortars that were lanyard fired. Pretty sure they'd be illegal now. Good for dropping an entire flock. Man, they were loud...from what I remember as a kid, anyways.

Guest Derek L

On the subjects of shotguns and ducks...my uncle had a bunch of (I think) 2 gauge duck mortars that were lanyard fired. Pretty sure they'd be illegal now. Good for dropping an entire flock. Man, they were loud...from what I remember as a kid, anyways.

I bet they're loud!! :D

Here's a good video (with some zombie humour) with a comparison between Pump (Mossberg 500) & semi auto ( Benelli M2?) shotguns………A good video for novices and for those that like things that go bang!!!

Edited by Derek L

Guest Derek L

Ah, yes...pump or auto? My wife is big on the 'zombie humor'...28 Days Later, and such.

I think you'll appreciate these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUPF2AuyHJk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB9USZNzu0I

Grenades? Everyone knows you have to shoot zombies in the head :rolleyes:

jk

As for pump or semi-auto? I got both (and a ancient Hungarian SxS)!!! Joking aside, since I was younger I’d always preferred the pump for it’s simplicity and in Canada, higher capacity when compared to a center fire, semi-auto, shotgun (limited to 5 rounds)……….That said, and perhaps because I couldn’t afford one when I was younger, I’ve over the last few years have become a convert to the (my) Browning Auto-5. So much so, with a plug limiting it to 3 rounds, has become my choice for hunting.

They truly are a well designed and built semi-auto shotgun……Relatively simple to strip for cleaning and because of their long recoil, no soar shoulders for old farts, and their kids……..Last few hunting seasons, we’ve stuck the kids with the pumps and the adults fight over the Auto-5.……Which is kinda embarrassing, since this one I got was manufactured in the early 50s (hardly new technology, been in production since the early 1900s) and all the adult males wonder why we never got one earlier (probably $$$)……..It’s been so popular, that I’ve been trying to find another one from about the same period………

Edited by Derek L

The worst kick other than nasty Walther Bite was me shooting overgrain nickle slugs from a .44 Mag. Tore my trigger finger and left little cross-hatch markings from the grip. Rated for bear, though...so to be expected, I suppose. Not easy to get 'used to'.

Guest Derek L

The worst kick other than nasty Walther Bite was me shooting overgrain nickle slugs from a .44 Mag. Tore my trigger finger and left little cross-hatch markings from the grip. Rated for bear, though...so to be expected, I suppose. Not easy to get 'used to'.

:lol:

This is true, .44 Mags do have a kick………I’ve got the Model 29 (Dirty Harry) and hardly bring to the range anymore, but I’m certain to tell others if asked why it because of the cost of ammo ;)

But my loudest and one that kicks most like a mule is toss up between my Remington 700 .300 RUM and Remington 760 Carbine in .308 Win……..But the 760 has been doing the trick and filling the freezer for nearly 40 years so I’m consigned to the punishment….With that said, the purist in me is slowly being suppressed and I’ll likely get a composite replacement stock with a large recoil pad for the 760 soon ;)

Semi-Auto’s do have their advantages in terms of recoil………

Edited by Derek L

Got to fire the lee enfield when we went up north, on ex with the inuit, some excellent marksmen there hitting targets at 600 meters with the iron sights...

Might be some news on that front, they are suppose to be upgrading to a new rifle, and disposing the enfields...might even make the open market

I friend of mine had an old M-1D sniper rifle , i'd have to say one of the better rifles i've shot todate...

seen and fired a shit load of AK-47 and 74, when i was in KAF there was a merchant that made them in his shop, i'd to see it to believe it, most of it was made of scrap metem we had chucked out, and a hammer and chisel....100 us dollars, and all the ammo you could carry...over all was not impressed , with accuracy, but then again fully auto 7.62...the AK -74 was a muched improved wpn over all better accuacy, better handling and the same toughness you expect out of a AK.

I even won a M-14 marksmen rifle at a poker game one night, it was sweet looking , of course his gunney found out and made him get it back...although his gunney did take a few of us out to the range and let us hammer on them all day, very accuate rifle, out to 800 meters, we were hitting targets at 1000 but had to walk them in with 2 or 3 rounds That day got to try their Barretta 50 cal sniper rifle, that was awesume, put a full mag down range hit targets at 1200 meters no problem....although the highlight of the day was the 40mm auto grenade launcher, that wpn could give the pope a hard on during sunday mass...The detruction it could bring down was unbeivable...god bless America.

The Mk 19 I gather? That is a pretty nifty weapon. Better built than the AGS-17. Same jobs, though. That's a lot of firepower in a small package for a two (or even one in a pinch) man team.

The M79 is still a good weapon, but it takes up a soldier...thus the M203. The WW1 versions were essentially trench mortars...or medieval style catapults during the 1915 cannon/ammo crisis! Oddly, WW2 didn't see wide use of any dedicated grenade launcher other than toe mortars and certain AT weapons turned anti-infantry. Perhaps because of the wide availability of rifle grenades and small bore mortars like the 60mm.

Guest Derek L

Got to fire the lee enfield when we went up north, on ex with the inuit, some excellent marksmen there hitting targets at 600 meters with the iron sights...

Might be some news on that front, they are suppose to be upgrading to a new rifle, and disposing the enfields...might even make the open market

I friend of mine had an old M-1D sniper rifle , i'd have to say one of the better rifles i've shot todate...

seen and fired a shit load of AK-47 and 74, when i was in KAF there was a merchant that made them in his shop, i'd to see it to believe it, most of it was made of scrap metem we had chucked out, and a hammer and chisel....100 us dollars, and all the ammo you could carry...over all was not impressed , with accuracy, but then again fully auto 7.62...the AK -74 was a muched improved wpn over all better accuacy, better handling and the same toughness you expect out of a AK.

I even won a M-14 marksmen rifle at a poker game one night, it was sweet looking , of course his gunney found out and made him get it back...although his gunney did take a few of us out to the range and let us hammer on them all day, very accuate rifle, out to 800 meters, we were hitting targets at 1000 but had to walk them in with 2 or 3 rounds That day got to try their Barretta 50 cal sniper rifle, that was awesume, put a full mag down range hit targets at 1200 meters no problem....although the highlight of the day was the 40mm auto grenade launcher, that wpn could give the pope a hard on during sunday mass...The detruction it could bring down was unbeivable...god bless America.

The largest calibre weapon I’ve had the good fortune to shoot was our Navy’s “Ma Deuces” on numerous occasions (sonuvabitch---sonuvabitch---sonuvabitch) and on a couple of occasions, thanks to Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children, a GAU-15/A……….The thing with the biggest BOOM, Mark 46 mod V

I've heard the criticisms about the newer 870 Express, I picked one up a couple of years ago and have used it for two duck seasons without a misfeed or jam. We'll see how it holds up over time. Still can't beat my Mossberg 500 though. The 500 is tough to beat for a good economical well constructed utility pump. I have an old Canadian made Lakefield Mossberg 400G that's 25+ years old, just as smooth and reliable as my new 500.