The Baby Boomers are the True Entitlement Generation

No, it works quite well, and is supported by other 'McMuffin' comparisons. As another member described above, the advertising folks know exactly what they are doing.

What works well ? Telling a romantic partner that they are your McMuffin ?

You are quite the Romeo, BC. Do you send a bouquet of fries at Valentines ?

The opposite is true, as there are many McMuffin imitations available, but none are as 'good'. I guess you have to see the ad to understand fully.

The topic here is about whether McDonalds is qualified to advise you how to get a girl in bed.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really got how advertising works...

Advertising in some form has been around a long time, but advertising as we understand it grew up in exact accord with the advent of the Public Relations Industry. Indeed, they've a promiscuous relationship, and you cannot separate them.

That's why, for example, Obama's campaign won major (and I mean major) advertising awards.

Some say it's supposed to get attention, period.

That's important (very) but barely scratches the surface.

And I can tell you--writing ads is hard! Mind you, we've all been soaked in it enough that anyone with decent writing ability could pull one or two off, with a little effort. But day in and day out? It's really difficult, and I found it frankly bizarre. I daresay many advertisers agree. It's rewarding to work creatively in such a way...but some of them (and I was one) could never shake the feeling that it was some sort of waste of creative energy.

On the other hand, it's not as if it's clearly a finite pool which you're depleting every time you write copy for a funeral home or try to envision an automobile ad that follows conventions while being just a touch different.....

But I'm assuming you understand more or less what I'm getting at.

At any rate, I strongly suspect that "Mad Men" is profoundly boosting interest in the industry. Unfortunately for them, few of them look like John Hamm and have rough sex with beautiful strangers.....:)

:)

Just to clarify, I personally do find a lot of advertising--in fact, the majority of advertising--to straddle the lines between obnoxious, irritating, banal and pathetic.

I'm only saying that--yes!--it works. And well.

It is weird now that NetFlix has offered unlimited viewing without ads for 8$ a month while cable runs 30-40 per month and is FULL of advertising.

Wonder how many people are switching to NetFlix on the appeal of having no ads.

I think it's pretty clear that the No Ads idea generally is met with widespread approval.

They can also only do it because the method of delivery is entirely in the hands of Telecom companies.

But as I've been saying for awhile, you only need a single connection at home... Rogers and Bell just don't want you to realise it.

Yeah, well. I made it about 1 minute in. Not very witty. That scene in Pulp Fiction where Samuel Jackson and John Travolta talked about hamburgers would make a good commercial.

You're the wrong demographic for that ad, and it isn't meant to be witty. If you become an 80 year old widower you will get it.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Sorry...I don't know how often you frequent a McDonald's restaurant in the morning. Seniors like to go there for breakfast and meet others still "on the loose". A nursing home is like lock-up, and the food is much worse.

I don't even eat breakfast, and if I did I wouldn't go there. It's fine for those that like it... once in awhile. I'm glad that the seniors have a place to go. We wouldn't want them hanging around at the pool hall and getting in trouble.

I don't even eat breakfast, and if I did I wouldn't go there. It's fine for those that like it... once in awhile. I'm glad that the seniors have a place to go. We wouldn't want them hanging around at the pool hall and getting in trouble.

McDonald's offers seniors a significant discount. In some cases it's the best meal they will get all day. Cooking in your 80's can lead to a cooked house and cooked ass.