So much for that Education Premiere Moniker

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not. I am a small business owner who was very happy with his education. If you didn't get something from it, that was your own fault.

[/quote

I got a great education because my parents knew enough to spend time with me at home, to make up for the lack of proper education happening at school. Manitoba education is all about making everyone equal. Today's high academic students would have been average in the 80s.

What kind of business do you own? Grocery store?

If math education is so great in MB, then what is the secret agenda of the wisemath.org group?

I said that overall, Canada's education system is very good. Overall, Manitoba's is very good. Can it be better? Sure, but it's still one of the best in the world.

No insult at all. I thought you had done some work in public schools.

I had, but only because I had nothing else that I could do at the time. As for Manitoba's education system, again, it isn't that bad. Not the best, but not that bad.

Edited by Smallc

I had, but only because I had nothing else that I could do at the time. As for Manitoba's education system, again, it isn't that bad. Not the best, but not that bad.

What do you make of wisemath.org? Why are university professors seeing many students struggle with math?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. So there's a concerned citizens group? So what?

You are misinformed. Wisemath was started by university math professors.....true math experts...not elementary school math teachers who need one mickey mouse math course to teach students in MB. Many teachers in MB can't teach math, smallc...that is a fact.

I'm not sure why you're getting this idea that poor performance in one subject in one province shows a bad system (and since what you're showing only talks about comparisons within country, how that shows that Canada doesn't in fact fair well when compared to the rest of the world). Look it up. Canada is near the top. Manitoba, last I checked, was in Canada. Each provincial system has subject strengths and weaknesses. That's why I'm really not understanding your point (and I still take issue with the idea that you can't have a good math education in Manitoba. Often, when students do poorly in a good system, it's the fault of the parents).

Oh, and wise math wasn't just about Manitoba, so again, I fail to see your point.

Edited by Smallc

I'm not sure why you're getting this idea that poor performance in one subject in one province shows a bad system (and since what you're showing only talks about comparisons within country, how that shows that Canada doesn't in fact fair well when compared to the rest of the world). Look it up. Canada is near the top. Manitoba, last I checked, was in Canada. Each provincial system has subject strengths and weaknesses. That's why I'm really not understanding your point (and I still take issue with the idea that you can't have a good math education in Manitoba. Often, when students do poorly in a good system, it's the fault of the parents).

Oh, and wise math wasn't just about Manitoba, so again, I fail to see your point.

Typical...blame the parents. So how much time do parents need to spend with their kids at home to be sure their kids are getting a decent education?

The last time I had surgery, the doctor told me he did what he could and I would have to go home and finish what he couldn't. That's how crappy teachers get by....by using worn out cliches.

You must have been an EA smallc.....no real education required.

Did you even read the article? I took pre calculus, btw. I also took 2 of the 3 Gr 11 and 12 science courses, and 2 Gr 12 English courses.

Oh, and I was an EA for a total of 2 months. The rest of the time, I did substitute work. I'm not a teacher, and I never wanted to be. It was simply an available job. My post secondary education is in occupational health and safety.

Edited by Smallc

Did you even read the article? I took pre calculus, btw. I also took 2 of the 3 Gr 11 and 12 science courses, and 2 Gr 12 English courses.

Oh, and I was an EA for a total of 2 months. The rest of the time, I did substitute work. I'm not a teacher, and I never wanted to be. It was simply an available job. My post secondary education is in occupational health and safety.

Yes, the WNCP which covers all 4 Western provinces. When did you graduate from high school?

Yes, the WNCP which covers all 4 Western provinces. When did you graduate from high school?

Not that long ago. The point was that more people who go to university should have to take more advanced math courses in high school. I did, and I did very well, but I hated math anyway.

You are misinformed. Wisemath was started by university math professors.....true math experts...not elementary school math teachers who need one mickey mouse math course to teach students in MB. Many teachers in MB can't teach math, smallc...that is a fact.

In Ontario the problem is grades 6-8.

It's when the teachers stop understanding the more abstract ideas of mathematics. Elementary teachers do not need to have taken math past grade 10 (now grade 11 with new curriculum).

High School math teachers require a higher degree of mathematics ability. Engineering degree, mathematics degree, unless you rack up the required math courses in University to get the qualification. High school math teachers will complain about the random results of grade 9 students entering high school because the competency of teachers teaching math in 7-8 varies drastically. Generally the skilled mathematics teachers in grade 9-12 make up for the fact that they don't require teachers in grades 6-8 to teach subjects they are competent at only. They need to implement more rotary like in high school at that level.

There is a systematic problem in elementary because the principals give merit to teachers who know nothing about math but are using some spacey and out there method to teach it that is actually hurting the students more than helping. (this is my case against merit pay assigned by administration, it goes to the people who do "flashy work" not good work.)

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Guest Peeves

Again, you really need to be informed on what you're talking about here. You're obviously not. A school is a far more structured environment, and by nursery, students are spending their time doing actual school study work. ECEs and daycare centres deal with initial learning, or learning how to learn.

I'm informed. We don't need a $ billion + SCHOOL program that was implemented for teachers votes.

4 year olds are better in trained child care workers or certainly their parents than in the 'care' of indifferent highly paid baby sitting teachers with assistants. Your simplistic definition of a structured environment for nursery aged children would need to also assume the teacher is both qualified and cared.

In my experience teachers are a mixed bag. I wouldn't want my 4 year old anywhere near some I have experience with. Even the teachers I had at 5 were good and bad, they still are. If teachers had their way babies would go to 'school' because they would have still more job security..(and try firing one!),babysitting at professional teachers wages! Nonsense and political patronage for votes.

It would be nice to have the state looking after your kid from birth so parents can dump them somewhere free of cost and others with cushy jobs can get government perks.

For what. For parents and teacher votes and to hell with the burden on the rest of us.

Edited by Peeves