• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TV news says that people have been complaining about problems with elections since 2005-6 election, 2008 and 2011. It also said it would take a year or less to finish the investigation then it could go to committee were it would be decided if a Royal Inquirer is needed. The only problem with that is now, the Tories have the power in ALL committee meetings.

I would hate to take away from everyone discussing how they're phasing out the penny, but the Chief Electoral Officer called the robocalls "absolutely outrageous" today amidst Conservatives trying to redefine this issue as simply "erroneous." Strange that everyone wants to get to the bottom of this issue, but the Conservatives continue to downplay and otherwise hamper any meaningful investigation or debate about the subject.

Fraudulent robocalls 'absolutely outrageous': chief electoral officer

By Stephen Maher and Glen McGregor, Postmedia News

"Whether it was organized or bigger or whatever, the fact that electors, at least that we know in Guelph (Ont.), were misdirected by calls falsely made on behalf of Elections Canada is absolutely outrageous."

Mayrand suggested that Parliament consider strengthening the penalties for breaches of the elections law and said that the fines and jail sentences under the current regime are "disproportionately light."

Yeah. It really doesn't look good when the Conservatives are trying to downplay it all and Mayrand is saying things like this:

"I think it's a serious matter," he said. "I'm glad to see that it concerns Canadians, honestly. It's essential to the way we govern ourselves, and it touches on the fundamentals of our democracy, how we elect our representatives. I can't see anything more serious than that about democratic institutions."

Read more: http://www.canada.com/life/Fraudulent+robocalls+absolutely+outrageous+chief+electoral+officer/6380092/story.html#ixzz1qZQ6GELl

Even if the Conservatives aren't responsible, it makes the entire party look guilty when there's this kind of organized effort to ignore what is potentially one of the worst frauds in our political history.

Edited by cybercoma

I would hate to take away from everyone discussing how they're phasing out the penny, but the Chief Electoral Officer called the robocalls "absolutely outrageous" today amidst Conservatives trying to redefine this issue as simply "erroneous." Strange that everyone wants to get to the bottom of this issue, but the Conservatives continue to downplay and otherwise hamper any meaningful investigation or debate about the subject.

Fraudulent robocalls 'absolutely outrageous': chief electoral officer

By Stephen Maher and Glen McGregor, Postmedia News

It would be outrageous if they had perpetrated it, by they, someone in the leadership of the party, and did so with the absolute intent to corrupt the election, your tendency to insinuate and accuse continues without restraint, and without evidence. Why would it be strange that they would want to downplay the issue, the country is full of fools like you who convict without any evidence, btw, what evidence do you have that they are hampering a meaningful investigation? Has the RCMP or Elections Canada said that they are being hampered? Or do you just feel that they are? Is your evidence 'just cuz'?

Elections Canada probing call complaints in 200 ridings

800 complaints received about robocalls and live calls, Commons committee hears

"Any action taken to deliberately misdirect electors and interfere with their right to vote under the Constitution and the Elections Act is a serious offence," he said in his opening statement. "It not only denies the fundamental rights of affected electors, but it also diminishes our democratic institution and the rights of all Canadians."

He later called the attempts to misdirect voters "absolutely outrageous" and said whoever is responsible should face serious sanctions. He also said the Elections Act should be reviewed to ensure that its penalties are strong enough."It's totally unacceptable in a modern democracy," he said of the attempts to misdirect voters.

Good to know EC sees it that way.

200 ridings ... it's starting to sound a lot like a national project.

Which party was it that sent phone calls to Irwin Cotlers riding telling them he is resigning and then admit to doing that in QP while jovially patting themselves on the back for it? Was it the NDP no? It was the Conservatives

Their is no doubt in my mind that the Conservatives are responsible for this and there is no doubt in my mind that someone near the top instructed them what to do

you must be able to see the future

So far that's what I'm reading too, I don't see the CBC making a list of other parties using the same firm.

As far as I'm concerned this is nothing but an ongoing attempt to delegitimize a duly elected majority government and unfortunately facts won't count when the issue is resolved. NDP Martin allready did the damage by framing the issue ahead of any investigation and the CBC continues screaming and pushing the 'fraud' meme. This as all again, supposition and gossip with no facts whatsoever, but the usual culprits rush to judgement first, because it's in their interests to damage the Tories by flinging mud which they know can stick, regardless of the outcome.

IMO Mr. Harper should hire a private investigator to clear this up. I'm also pretty sure that the media knows who the scurillious twitterer was but isn't revealing it, but you'll bet if they find out who this is, they will.

CBC should be registered as a political party

Unfortunately if anyone is brought up on charges, the whole process will get bogged down in beurocracy taking to long and costing the taxpayers MORE money for an investigation that will only catch the small time criminals and not the ones who actually did the crime. I can get behind them getting punished, but we've seen it before, it won't mean much.

isn't that "bureaucracy"?

Just read this morning but didn't keep the link, that they allready have identified a young campaign worker, but the damage is allready done with the NDP and the CBC in full tilt - destroy Harper - mode. They have been furiously slinging mud while allowed to frame the narrative before fact finding, they have been successful in their mudslinging, innuendo and gossip. No matter what facts are presented now, it's too late, judgement has been rendered.

unfortunately, the CBC and NDP do not care about whether thr evidence supports their bias or motives

Which party was it that sent phone calls to Irwin Cotlers riding telling them he is resigning and then admit to doing that in QP while jovially patting themselves on the back for it? Was it the NDP no? It was the Conservatives

Their is no doubt in my mind that the Conservatives are responsible for this and there is no doubt in my mind that someone near the top instructed them what to do

Right , so they could be caught?