Bomb Girls

Boges

My wife and I have been enjoying Bomb Girls.

I like WW2 content a lot. It's a show about women at a munitions factory. And it's Can Con not produced by the CBC. :D

It's a success and will get a second season. The first season was only 6 episodes.

http://www.globaltv.com/bombgirls/index.html

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/07/bomb-girls-to-get-second-season

Edited by Boges

• 10 months later...

This show started up again this week. Good CanCan on Global Wednesday nights. Shocking a Canadian show the CBC doesn't run eh?

Very Canadian Liberal feel for a show set during WW2. One of the ladies is thinking about getting about abortion another is a closet lesbian, another is dealing with her wealthy parents and how they are taking advantage of the war effort for their own advantage.

Edited by Boges

Jill Barber singing 40s tunes is a treat.

Plus the manslaughter was a bit predictable...but still an enjoyable plot. Though I'm not so sure the Nationalist Chinese were touring Ontario bomb factories in 1942.

Well they needed to find a way to illustrate how horrible the "Japs" were. I'm sure their budget doesn't allow them to actually film combat scenes. It was predictable to paint the fundamentalist Christian guy as the most evil person possible, very Canadian.

Thanks to the Battle of Hong Kong that the girls were taking donations for, Canada was already aware of how horrible the Japanese were. Bataan and Singapore also would have already happened. My point, I guess, is that it was more or less impossible for such a tour to happen before late 1944.

I'm more referring to uninformed current Television viewers who think WW2 was mostly Hitler and Churchill.

I think we take for granted what John Q Public knew about what was going on overseas. It's not like there was Internet or even the Evening News.

There were papers but all the video people got came from news reels that were played before movies.

Did people even know about the Bataan Death march earlier in the war?

I'm more referring to uninformed current Television viewers who think WW2 was mostly Hitler and Churchill.

I think we take for granted what John Q Public knew about what was going on overseas. It's not like there was Internet or even the Evening News.

There were papers but all the video people got came from news reels that were played before movies.

Did people even know about the Bataan Death march earlier in the war?

Given how many Canadians are considered too stupid to even vote straight today it's reasonable to assume many if not most are clueless as to what the wars we get dragged into are ever really about. What more do we need to know or think beyond snapping to attention whenever God, King and Country snap their fingers at us?

My grandfather often took Mom to the movies during the war years and she often recounts how he would hold his hat over her face during the newsreels so she wouldn't have to see the images from the war.

Guest American Woman

Yeah...it runs on Global here. I guess that's not on your cable selection... (frowns)

Apparently it runs on Reelz channel in the States, but I think it starts after it's run in Canada - so we may have to wait for it here. At least that's what I'm assuming since I get Reelz and it's not running now.

I watched the first season this week (if a 6-episode miniseries qualifies as a "season", anyway.) I quite liked it. I found Gladys to be a little too pure of heart and well-spoken to be a believable character, and her parents were cookie-cutter rich-guy spit-on-the-poor villains, but aside from that I thought the characters were all quite interesting.

-k

This season is a lot better. That cop isn't much for Forensics is he? Leaving the blanket the dad was covered I am behind and not making the area a crime scene. Maybe I watch too much CSI. Pretty sad how hopeful everyone was about the date of Singapore.

Having the workers sing God Save the King was a nice touch.

• 8 months later...
Guest American Woman

Totally lost interest in the show half way through the 2nd season. It got cancelled after Season 2. There may be a movie though.

So the first season was better than the second? Who would be making the movie?

Well the first season was only 6 episodes.

I just found it getting tedious after awhile. Can't really go into it without giving spoilers. The older lady who acts as the foreman is rather insufferable and when they introduce his son it gets quite annoying.

I have no info on a movie, just the rumour when in was announced the show was cancelled.

Edited by Boges

Guest American Woman

After I ordered it, I thought about the possibility that the second season would never be available - so I may just be left hanging! If that happens, then you can fill me in as to why you didn't like the second season as much. :)

After I ordered it, I thought about the possibility that the second season would never be available - so I may just be left hanging! If that happens, then you can fill me in as to why you didn't like the second season as much. :)

It did jump the shark in season 2. Too many PC pimps got involved. Next thing it was all about who the guest star was and it moved several steps away from even playing at being historical.

Re-watching "HBO's Rome"...now there's another that got cancelled after season 2. Too expensive.

Watching season 4 of Boardwalk Empire, as well. Now there's a Sopranos replacement. One of the best TV shows ever in my opinion.

Edited by DogOnPorch

It did jump the shark in season 2. Too many PC pimps got involved. Next thing it was all about who the guest star was and it moved several steps away from even playing at being historical.

Re-watching "HBO's Rome"...now there's another that got cancelled after season 2. Too expensive.

Watching season 4 of Boardwalk Empire, as well. Now there's a Sopranos replacement. One of the best TV shows ever in my opinion.

I was big fan of Rome as well. From what I understand plans were being laid for a movie, but the fire on the massive set in Italy killed them. I miss Rome...and Deadwood too.

I was big fan of Rome as well. From what I understand plans were being laid for a movie, but the fire on the massive set in Italy killed them. I miss Rome...and Deadwood too.

Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus were ideal protagonists. They learned at the start of season 2 that Rome was to cancelled. It was originally supposed to be 5 seasons and go to the Revolt in Judea.

Guest American Woman

That does sound like it suked. You'd think networks would have learned something re: "jumping the shark."

Never did watch that. Might give it a shot since if it's playing from the beginning on HBO>

Never watched either one of those series. Can't remember why I didn't get into the Sopranos. I suppose that's all out on DVD, too, which means it might be something good to look into renting over the winter months.

That does sound like it suked. You'd think networks would have learned something re: "jumping the shark."

Never did watch that. Might give it a shot since if it's playing from the beginning on HBO>

Never watched either one of those series. Can't remember why I didn't get into the Sopranos. I suppose that's all out on DVD, too, which means it might be something good to look into renting over the winter months.

The Sopranos as a whole is great TV. But, it has been eclipsed by Boardwalk in pure depth and beauty in my opinion. The 1920s are recreated very well. Many Soprano ex-characters are characters in Boardwalk Empire, too...besides Steve Buscemi who is in his glory.

Rome is awesome for what it does show. You'll love Pullo and Lucius. There's a 'bromance' as my wife puts it.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Guest American Woman

The Sopranos as a whole is great TV. But, it has been eclipsed by Boardwalk in pure depth and beauty in my opinion. The 1920s are recreated very well. Many Soprano ex-characters are characters in Boardwalk Empire, as well...besides Steve Buscemi who is in his glory.

Boardwalk does sound awesome. Love Steve Buscemi! I'll definitely have to check that out. It's on HBO, I take it?

Rome is awesome for what it does show. You'll love Pullo and Lucius. There's a 'bromance' as my wife puts it.

I'm going to have to see if some of these shows are on DVD. I love renting an entire season at a time. Sounds great!