NDP Leadership

Olp1fan, if you've been paying any attention at all, you'd know that I'm voting in the NDP leadership race. I've donated to and volunteered with the NDP. I'm anything but a Conservative shill.

you're probably just a spy, I'm onto you

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently this Den Tandt has been reading my posts here. jk

Fratricide is never pretty. But in the case of the high-minded New Democrats, some of whom appear to be committing it in the most cowardly of ways, it is particularly ugly. The irony is that, in doing so, they may be depriving themselves of the only leader among them with a hope of standing against Stephen Harper.

Full article: http://www.canada.com/news/Tandt+Mulcair+best+hope+battle+with+Harper/6249165/story.html

Olp1fan, if you've been paying any attention at all, you'd know that I'm voting in the NDP leadership race. I've donated to and volunteered with the NDP. I'm anything but a Conservative shill.

My bad evening star, I apologize for being a dick

So was Mulroney

True enough but the Ontario PCs did not collapse after Harris's reign the way the federal PCs did after Mulroney's. I don't have a sense that Harris is universally loathed in the same way. Many see the Common Sense Revolution as something that was necessary after Rae's term. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think your average middle to upper middle class suburban Ontario voter (who might like a tax cut) fears Conservatives/PCs the way they do the NDP. (The last election suggests that I'm not wrong.)

This is my favourite part in that article:

Better to put someone more timorous [than Mulcair] up against the most effective and ruthless Conservative leader Canadians have seen, possibly, since Sir John A. Macdonald. Perhaps NDP supporters can then watch, in horrified fascination, as Harper feeds their morally unblemished new leader through the wood-chipper. Brian Topp, Peggy Nash and Paul Dewar can be described as many things. Pitiless warrior is not among them.

I'd like to see a list of 'regressive' actions undertaken by the Romanow govt when Topp worked for them. (Also, I'd like to see that website post a comparison between Quebec tuition rates and tuition anywhere else in Canada or the US.)

Edit: Also, some background on the power and status of unions in Quebec vs elsewhere in the country

Edited by Evening Star

Guest Derek L

Dewar would be destroyed by Harper and Rae, and even have trouble against May and... and, uh... that... you know that new Bloc guy.

Yes, I'm putting Dewar on the same level as a man whose name I am unaware of.

That’s odd, though a personal observation, whenever seeing Dewar interviewed, to me, he’s always seemed the most levelled headed………

I also found this interesting:

Mulcair is the NDP’s only hope against Stephen Harper

Fratricide is never pretty. But in the case of the high-minded New Democrats, some of whom appear to be committing it in the most cowardly of ways, it is particularly ugly. The irony is that, in doing so, they may be depriving themselves of the only leader among them with a hope of standing against Stephen Harper.

And of course, there’s the not-insignificant detail that the anonymous person or people behind the preciously polite attack site knowmulcair.ca are bound to be identified eventually, just as Adam Carroll, the former Liberal Internet mastermind who shepherded the Vikileaks Twitter campaign, was identified — with all the attendant blowback. What are these people thinking?

If Cullen wins and Bob Rae becomes Liberal leader, the Conservatives just might get the largest majority government in the history of this country.

If Cullen wins and Bob Rae becomes Liberal leader, I would vote Conservative.

you, vote for harper??? BAHAHAHA

Cullen is pro-merger, and I bet Rae would allow one too. If Cullen and Rae become leaders, we will have a new Liberal Democrat party. This is something that I'd oppose strongly, and I'd vote Conservative before the LD's

why would you oppose it strongly?

If Cullen wins and Bob Rae becomes Liberal leader, the Conservatives just might get the largest majority government in the history of this country.

If Cullen wins and Bob Rae becomes Liberal leader, I would vote Conservative.

Thought you said earlier that you'd vote Liberal in this situation? I've changed my mind about things a couple times on this thread so I've got no beef with anyone changing their mind: I'm just checking if you changed your mind or if you actually meant something different.

True enough but the Ontario PCs did not collapse after Harris's reign the way the federal PCs did after Mulroney's. I don't have a sense that Harris is universally loathed in the same way. Many see the Common Sense Revolution as something that was necessary after Rae's term. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think your average middle to upper middle class suburban Ontario voter (who might like a tax cut) fears Conservatives/PCs the way they do the NDP. (The last election suggests that I'm not wrong.)

NDP support completely collapsed once Rae was defeated. The PCs, while not being ble to form government, have still had strong support.

Cullen is pro-merger, and I bet Rae would allow one too.

Do you have a citation for this? Anything I've seen has just suggested that Cullen wants to do joint nominations in strategic ridings so that PR can be implemented right afterwards, which would make a merger unnecessary, according to that line of thinking.

Thought you said earlier that you'd vote Liberal in this situation? I've changed my mind about things a couple times on this thread so I've got no beef with anyone changing their mind: I'm just checking if you changed your mind or if you actually meant something different.

I was being sarcastic. I wouldn't vote for this Conservative Party if they were the only ones on the ballot.