If you were PM, what would you do?

Economy

- First off, I would tax the rich through personal income tax, so that their rates are at least equal with middle-class.

- I would raise corporate taxes by 2-3%, but in order to not kill business, offer tax rebates and cuts to businesses promoting and encouraging green and renewable technology (a tax rebate to make up for the increased taxes).

- As not all businesses would infuse their cash into green technology, those companies paying more, having a surplus in taxes, would distributed by means of grants to LOCAL and municipal governments, in order to further promote sustainable cities

- Have more intervention at the federal government level, nationalization particular sectors

Social:

- Increase crime prevention in the youth, making sentences more lenient for the 16-25 age group as to not encourage re-offences

- install a system of rehabilitation in communities for criminals coming out of jail, as to reduce the amount of re-offenders

- Promote clean, stable and affordable housing through governments grants, in order to address the homeless rate

Environment:

- Promote public transport

- Promote sustainable cities at the local government level

- Increases gases on pollution and cap emissions

- Create a National Board of Environmental Control, in order to monitor businesses and ensure they are being efficient with their environment.

- encourage the use of electric and biodiesel vehicles by providing rebates on new vehicles if the customer trades in their old, environment deadly, vehicles.

Infrastructure:

- Create a complex and diverse public transit system

- Create national and historical monuments, as wlel as preservation of historic neighborhoods at the local level

- Provide federal grant money to pronvince and local governments in order

- Further advance cities in a fashion as to facilitate traffic, buildings, etc. while discouraging long commutes and suburbs (also dangerous to the environment).

Military:

- I would improve military forces and provide further training, however promoting the army for peaces purposes, rather than conquering.

Edited by juzt4me

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Begin discussions with Canada's bio-regions regarding the dissolution of the provinces and how to rationalize and share responsibilities for governance between federal and bio-regional jurisdictions.

[

WTF are the bio-regions? :huh:

Edited by Uncle 3 dogs

So Victoria and Vancouver’s early respective Chinatowns were built by the “British” to attract further “British”………Perhaps we’re all misunderstanding you though……….Since Hong Kong was a British colony, are all things Chinese actually “British”?

I suppose all your sneering mockery might be considered clever, by some, if you were at least being sarcastic towards something I said, or at least implied. But it really doesn't take much in the way of brains to make up things I never said, then mock them. Basically, you're just revealing you can't cope with anything I actually said so have to make shit up. But that's par for the course for you shrill, politically correct types.

As for their influence, during the later part of the 19th century, the ethnic Chinese community made up roughly one third of the population of the Province……….But, according to you, they were actually “British“?

I don't know. Are you under the illusion British Columbia and it's miniscule population were of any significance as far as Canada's culture was concerned? About that time you had a population smaller than New Brunswick, and at a par with PEI.

:huh: More of your made up facts?

I don't make things up. I was quoting census numbers. But your entire answer is nothing but the self-righteous ranting of a politically correct whiner who can't stand the thought someone might have said that this or that minority group had less importance in Canada's history than might be generally assumed. God! Your eyes must have bugged out in horror at the mere suggestion! B)

Edited by Scotty

Guest Derek L

I suppose all your sneering mockery might be considered clever, by some, if you were at least being sarcastic towards something I said, or at least implied. But it really doesn't take much in the way of brains to make up things I never said, then mock them. Basically, you're just revealing you can't cope with anything I actually said so have to make shit up. But that's par for the course for you shrill, politically correct types.

I don't know. Are you under the illusion British Columbia and it's miniscule population were of any significance as far as Canada's culture was concerned? About that time you had a population smaller than New Brunswick, and at a par with PEI.

I don't make things up. I was quoting census numbers. But your entire answer is nothing but the self-righteous ranting of a politically correct whiner who can't stand the thought someone might have said that this or that minority group had less importance in Canada's history than might be generally assumed. God! Your eyes must have bugged out in horror at the mere suggestion! B)

I’m sure you’re trying to make a point, but it has obviously being obscured by my PC filter……..Care to give it another try? I’m certain you’re almost there, just spit it out……Or draw a picture perhaps.

....someone might have said that this or that minority group had less importance in Canada's history than might be generally assumed. God! Your eyes must have bugged out in horror at the mere suggestion! B)

Geez , no honesty in debate is there?

You said...

Pretty easy to leave them aside since there WERE no Chinese or Ukrainian immigrants here before it was Canada

You were shown to be wrong, couple days later.....back at it.

Guest Derek L

Geez , no honesty in debate is there?

You said...

You were shown to be wrong, couple days later.....back at it.

Indeed, I think there is a bridge somewhere, with unimpeded goat traffic, missing it’s toll collector.

Why would any Canadian PM increase military spending?

So that Canada doesn't forfeit whatever place it has on the world stage. And so it doesn't go from being a British colony to an American colony.

Indeed, I think there is a bridge somewhere, with unimpeded goat traffic, missing it’s toll collector.

I am quoting Canada Census figures. And you? What exactly are you providing other than insults and sarcasm?

Never mind. I'm done with you. People like you can't be dealt with in any sort of mature fashion, and this forum doesn't allow me to tell you what I think of you.

Guest Derek L

I am quoting Canada Census figures. And you? What exactly are you providing other than insults and sarcasm?

Never mind. I'm done with you. People like you can't be dealt with in any sort of mature fashion, and this forum doesn't allow me to tell you what I think of you.

Did you not quote in a reply to me one of my sources? Here’s Victoria’s Chinatown:

A Brief History of Victoria's Chinatown

t was the discovery of gold in British Columbia, that brought the first Chinese people to Victoria in 1858.

My source from the Government of British Columbia’s archives……..I could have provided a link earlier if you questioned my earlier response………Clearly my link (And grasp of local history) disproves your prior assumptions…….You were proven wrong, and you continue to argue the fact well calling posters here “PC whiners” ,all the well defining, by your own (Unnamed set of) parameters, any given cultures worth and impact on the Canadian cultural landscape.

If that is not what is defined as trolling, I don’t know what is……..I, along with many of the other posters here are capable of honest, polite and intelligent debate, but clearly your inflammatory style of discourse, brings out the “worse in people”………For that, I apologise.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take some liberty with the OP's question.

First I would need complete and utter control of every aspect of government activities. Which we all know can never happen. So say it does.

Heres my list:

#1 Completley remove money from politics. Lobbiests are gone, Ideas and policies survive totally on their merit and not how much money is thrown at an issue or campaign. How much proof do we need that money corrupts politics? We see it, hear it, read it everyday of our lives, and yet we just accpet it, perpetuate it.

#2 Political patronage is made illegal. Pretty simple when you really think about it. No more appointments of any kind by any government official. We have the technology to elect everyone.

#3 Abolish all political parties, WoW I know it sounds outlandish and reeks of dictatorship. We would certainly have to give all Canadians a voice wouldn't we? A system that address's issues by which each citizen can log in and cast a vote. The levels of technology are certainly there already. Keeping the money out of it would allow us to be completley democratic on every issue. Our political party system divides us more than anything else.

#4 Abolish the senate, Send them home with the same pension every other average Canadian will get. They are already wealthy people who if carefull can certainly eek out a comfortable existance for the rest of their lives without too much trouble.

#5 Stand the military down, bring home, debrief, retrain, redeploy as peacekeepers/world helpers in situations evaluated for urgency and available resources. This means when we know there is a million starving people in Beakfart, Africa(fictional name) we go there and we feed that million. Then we show them how to feed themselves. When we know a group of people are systematicly killing an entire ethnicity we go there and put our soldiers between the killers and the killees. Sometimes we are going to have to kill the killers and I'm all for it. Our military is fast becoming the little sister to the U.S. Military Machine. That must be stopped at all costs.

#6 Voting is now mandatory. You don't Vote you leave the country within 72 hours.....PERIOD. Little extreme yes but how else do we have a truly democratic system?

Start over with a system that truly represents a majority. As stated above we have the technology to vote on hundreds if not thousands of issues. costly you say...yes it is under our current system it is, but that is outdated and just plain stupid and riddled with wasteful practices that drive up the cost of performing the actual task at hand....Collecting the vote.

Representatives are elected from regions whose job it is to represent the majority of people in their region. They make a fair salary and are expected to live just like the majority of other Canadians do.

I'm well aware my ideas have some holes and I'm happy to have them pointed out all I ask is that it is done in a polite manner.

Guest Derek L

#5 Stand the military down, bring home, debrief, retrain, redeploy as peacekeepers/world helpers in situations evaluated for urgency and available resources. This means when we know there is a million starving people in Beakfart, Africa(fictional name) we go there and we feed that million. Then we show them how to feed themselves. When we know a group of people are systematicly killing an entire ethnicity we go there and put our soldiers between the killers and the killees. Sometimes we are going to have to kill the killers and I'm all for it. Our military is fast becoming the little sister to the U.S. Military Machine. That must be stopped at all costs.

How do you retrain the military as “peacekeepers”?

Simple instead of search and destroy it is search and help or search and feed or search and protect. Instead of an aggresive nature of deployment we are now the worlds good guys...just like it used to be.

methinks someone believes the myth of Canada being a peace keeper.

We arent, we werent. we probably never will be.

Guest Derek L

Simple instead of search and destroy it is search and help or search and feed or search and protect. Instead of an aggresive nature of deployment we are now the worlds good guys...just like it used to be.

Ahh, that simple eh? So what if the “killers” don’t want our “Peacekeepers” in their country?

You mean like when locals respected the blue helmets ... before they started shooting them, or chaining them to bridges?

Been outside much the last few decades?

You mean like when locals respected the blue helmets ... before they started shooting them, or chaining them to bridges?

Been outside much the last few decades?

As a matter of fact yes. Your statement is precisely why we need to change. Its hard to help people when you are blowing up their shit and killing their families. If someone dropped bombs on my home I wouldn't care what color the helmet was I'd be learning how to make IAD's

For every action there is an equal reaction...There is no getting around that..... Seems to me the old treat people as you would have them treat you is actually pretty accurate. We blow up their shit they blow up our shit...its a perpetual circle of wrongness no matter how you look at it.

Guest Derek L

As a matter of fact yes. Your statement is precisely why we need to change. Its hard to help people when you are blowing up their shit and killing their families. If someone dropped bombs on my home I wouldn't care what color the helmet was I'd be learning how to make IAD's

For every action there is an equal reaction...There is no getting around that..... Seems to me the old treat people as you would have them treat you is actually pretty accurate. We blow up their shit they blow up our shit...its a perpetual circle of wrongness no matter how you look at it.

Ahh, that simple eh? So what if the “killers” don’t want our “Peacekeepers” in their country?

Guest Derek L

As I stated I have no problem killing the killers. Our so called intelligence agencies know who they are because they likely put them in power in the first place.

So you don’t have a problem achieving your political desires by sending our military into another nation, on the other side of the world and killing people that share a different viewpoint than yours?

So you don’t have a problem achieving your political desires by sending our military into another nation, on the other side of the world and killing people that share a different viewpoint than yours?

I have no political desires and you are mincing words so your statement is unfair. If that viewpoint is that its ok to kill, enslave and starve your own countrymen for political or monetary gains then my answer would be yes I have no problem with killing them...They are cold blooded killers.