Moving to the right?

Bryan

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/agree%2Bwith%2BCanada%2Bdirection%2Bpoll%2Bfinds/5811006/story.html

The percentage of people who think Canada is generally moving in the right direction has increased sharply in the last year, from 52% to 63.5%, according to a new poll.

The rise is the steepest in the five-year history of the Mood of Canada survey, conducted by Nanos Research for Policy Options magazine.

The findings, based on questions in which people were also asked to rate the performance of the Conservative government, federal/provincial relations, and Canada's reputation in the world, reveal a generally positive view of the country.

I find it interesting just how different the opinions of Canadians across the country are from a lot of the posts we see here on MLW, and even a lot of the headlines we see from the MSM. A huge majority think things are going well. Even people who didn't vote CPC are happy with the job they are doing.

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/agree%2Bwith%2BCanada%2Bdirection%2Bpoll%2Bfinds/5811006/story.html

I find it interesting just how different the opinions of Canadians across the country are from a lot of the posts we see here on MLW, and even a lot of the headlines we see from the MSM. A huge majority think things are going well. Even people who didn't vote CPC are happy with the job they are doing.

The telephone survey of 1,202 people, conducted in late October, is considered accurate to within 2.8 percentage points, 19 times out of 20. I'll be interested to see if he continues to trend up.

Harper has trended upward because people aren't paying attention to all of the backhanded maneuvers his party is making. Good for them, bad for Canada.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Ah, slight correction there Bryan. Nowhere in the article does it say anyone is "moving to the right." It only says that a certain percentage believe Canada is moving in the right direction. This clearly does not refer to political affiliation. You aren't intentionally misprepresenting the news story are you?

That being said, we are doing OK. I would prefer a minority con government, but the LPC is in no position to do anything and the NDP, well, they're the NDP...

Odd pole?

I recently heard of a consumer confidence poll that showed it to be the worst now in a couple of years.

Aswell another pole showing the gap between the haves and have nots has grown in Canada.

WWWTT

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/federal-liberals-gain-on-ndp-conservatives-poll-finds/article2251570/

The Nanos Research Poll, conducted for The Globe and Mail and CTV, shows the Liberals with 28.1 per cent, up from 23.4 per cent last month.

The Tories, meanwhile, edged down to 35.6 per cent from 37.7 per cent in last month’s poll, and the NDP dropped to 27.3 per cent from 30 per cent.

So which is more accurate?

Edited by olp1fan

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/federal-liberals-gain-on-ndp-conservatives-poll-finds/article2251570/

The Nanos Research Poll, conducted for The Globe and Mail and CTV, shows the Liberals with 28.1 per cent, up from 23.4 per cent last month.

The Tories, meanwhile, edged down to 35.6 per cent from 37.7 per cent in last month’s poll, and the NDP dropped to 27.3 per cent from 30 per cent.

So which is more accurate?

That is neither here nor there because the article was misquoted. It doesn't say that Canadians are moving to the right, it says that Canada is going in the right direction.

The right direction? I suppose, I imagine the folks at the stern of the Titanic probably thought the same thing when the bow went down.

Well I think when you look around and sea full of iceburgs and sinking ships, one believes in the right direction if one's ship is still afloat. In other words, it could be a heckava lot worse.

Guest Derek L

Well I think when you look around and sea full of iceburgs and sinking ships, one believes in the right direction if one's ship is still afloat. In other words, it could be a heckava lot worse.

Exactly, the Tories just need to play a conservative game (pun intended) starting next year with no new extremely ideological legislation/laws/manifestos/dogma and get a few bounces their way (Global economic recovery) and I don’t foresee a problem with the next election………..

Exactly, the Tories just need to play a conservative game (pun intended) starting next year with no new extremely ideological legislation/laws/manifestos/dogma and get a few bounces their way (Global economic recovery) and I don’t foresee a problem with the next election………..

Well, I can't disagree with that strategy. But will it happen. A two goal lead in hockey is comfortable enough for the team to start to cheat and play sloppy and the cons only have a two goal lead. Then again, the libs are playing the trap in the neutral zone... :D

Guest Derek L

Well, I can't disagree with that strategy. But will it happen. A two goal lead in hockey is comfortable enough for the team to start to cheat and play sloppy and the cons only have a two goal lead. Then again, the libs are playing the trap in the neutral zone... :D

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure a certain element of my party would like to further “change things” to their own design, but as member of the party, who regularly attends riding meetings (and has been to a few conventions), as much as those on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum would like the public to think the opposite, the proverbial grown-ups have their hands on the rudder and the more extremists within the party, after being fed their portion of red meat, will very soon have their muzzles back on, and put behind the chain link fence in the backyard. ;)

every government must fall, every lie, every scandal, every indiscretion, every policy will create animosity until it gathers enough resentment to bring down the government...

every government must fall, every lie, every scandal, every indiscretion, every policy will create animosity until it gathers enough resentment to bring down the government...

Yes, but timing is everything. That and the public's collective willingness to endure. Or perceive they are enduring since the whole icebergs/sinking ships thing could turn out to be simple metaphor.