Fox News Viewers Know Less Than Those Who Don't Watch Any News

cybercoma

They do. However, some instances are more egregious than others. Like NBC News' brutal editing of the George Zimmerman tape, and MSNBCs brutal editing of Mitt Romney's speech.

Both of which they were shamed into apologizing for.

IT was funny to see Fox be so hypocritical about someone else trying to manipulate the news. Fox is anything BUT 'Fair and Balanced'. Remember when Fox played the results of the previous year where Ron Paul lost and people booed, and saying it was this years results where that actual video showing ron paul winning and a thunderous applause from the audience.

All of them should be shamed for it. ALL of them. Because they all continually do it.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As some readers are doubtless aware, the last few weeks have seen a still ongoing kerfuffle over allegations that two employees of the US-based campaign consulting firm Front Porch Strategies....

That's actually a bit different. "Front Door Strategies," according to its website, "provides services to businesses, organized labor groups," etc. and that would include, evidently, politicians/political campaigns. So it sounds as if they were there because they were on a job.

U.S. directors from Front Porch Strategies worked “in the trenches” for Tory candidates in 2011,....[...]In at least two Conservative-won ridings with reported election irregularities, Front Porch Strategies had US staff on the ground....

So it's two people - and they have a "Canadian liaison." It's not the same.

If you can show me a group of Americans, not a business, similar to Canadians for Obama, I would be truly interested. I'm not saying there is no such group, but Google "Canadians for Obama" and there are a lot of results.

Oh I know, I'm just pointing out it works both ways, regardless if its a business opportunity (not entirely, Front Porch as far as I know are interested in promoting conservative "values") or a group of individuals that like what O has to say and purportedly represents.

Guest American Woman

Oh I know, I'm just pointing out it works both ways, regardless if its a business opportunity (not entirely, Front Porch as far as I know are interested in promoting conservative "values") or a group of individuals that like what O has to say and purportedly represents.

That may be what the business is interested in, but it's still a business - a business that exists within Canada, too. The two employees in question happen to reside in the U.S. ("U.S. staff"), but they were working with Canadian staff within that business. It's not comparable to a group of citizens starting a support group and going to another country to volunteer in the campaign. So really, it doesn't work both ways. At least not as far as I've seen.

... It's not comparable to a group of citizens starting a support group and going to another country to volunteer in the campaign. So really, it doesn't work both ways. At least not as far as I've seen.

It is quirky....why do so many Canadians (15% of those polled in 2008) want to vote in a foreign (U.S.) election?

It is a fact that the CBC is Canada's state owned broadcaster.

True (bold addition mine)

Reflecting the same narrative about financing, control, bias, and purpose of any other broadcast media entity, one must conclude that the "state controlled" shoe fits.

Except control + bias is not controlled by the Govt.

The CBC recieves funds from the govt, but also from the sale of commercial time.

While there is a responsibility to Parliament for its conduct, it is most definitely independant of govt control in day to day operations.

The CBC is a Crown Corp, not a govt'al department, thus operating at arms length. The Treasury board exempts a few Crown Corps from submitting corporate plans or budgets, or undergoing any special examinations, with the aim that they are free from any political interference.

I only know that it pains you to confront such an obvious relationship. Don't worry, Her Majesty approves.

LOL , No it doesnt pain me in the least. However I will correct an assumption when its wrong. Lots of people make this mistake.

Edited by guyser

It's got to be at least partially; the state funds it and the state controls who runs it. When more funds are needed, the funds come from the government. The board and senior executive are appointed by the PM and his cabinet. You don't think that amounts to 'controlled by the state?' Certainly it's run by the state.

No, there is a distinction that has to be made.

Yes it is funded by decree of Parliament and funded partially by the state. (majority too)

The board and chairman are picked by the govt.

But the state most certainly does not run it, nor have any say whatsoever in what they broadcast , and or report on

None of that equals controlled by the state.

Edited by guyser

...None of that equals controlled by the state.

Except that is does. Can the CBC operate independently of the Canadian government? No, it can't..and doesn't. It is state controlled by definition and given preferences over private competition, irrespective of broadcast content or bias.

By your own admission the CBC is a "Crown Corporation". Here the CBC describes crown corporations without much acknowledgement of its own status as a CC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/03/25/f-crown-corporations.html

No, there is a distinction that has to be made.

Yes it is funded by decree of Parliament and funded partially by the state. (majority too)

The board and chairman are picked by the govt.

But the state most certainly does not run it, nor have any say whatsoever in what they broadcast , and or report on

None of that equals controlled by the state.

Think of the government as an investor/advertiser on the CBC. We know that large sponsors can influence how the news is portrayed to present a specific view. It's the Public Relations (aka propaganda) of the government. You can sure bet that the message CBC puts out is indeed influenced if not outright controlled by some media arm of the government.

Except that is does. Can the CBC operate independently of the Canadian government? No, it can't..and doesn't. It is state controlled by definition and given preferences over private competition, irrespective of broadcast content or bias.

By your own admission the CBC is a "Crown Corporation". Here the CBC describes crown corporations without much acknowledgement of its own status as a CC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/03/25/f-crown-corporations.html

I am afraid you are incorrect.

The state does not tell the CBC what to run, what to post, what to air , when to air anything. does not advise it on where to spend the money, nor are they privy to how it is spent.

The have absolutely no control on any day to day operation and in the words of the Tresuary Dept (from your link)this is due to "shield them against "potential political interference," according to the Treasury Board"

Think of the government as an investor/advertiser on the CBC. We know that large sponsors can influence how the news is portrayed to present a specific view. It's the Public Relations (aka propaganda) of the government. You can sure bet that the message CBC puts out is indeed influenced if not outright controlled by some media arm of the government.

Uh...no.

Not indeed , and not at all.

I am afraid you are incorrect.

No, you just disagree with the facts.

The state does not tell the CBC what to run, what to post, what to air , when to air anything. does not advise it on where to spend the money, nor are they privy to how it is spent.

Never said it did, but it is still "state controlled" using the very same metrics directed at other media owners and policies.

The have absolutely no control on any day to day operation and in the words of the Tresuary Dept (from your link)this is due to "shield them against "potential political interference," according to the Treasury Board"

Did the CBC admit its own status as a CC in that report? If not, why not?

No, you just disagree with the facts.

How can one disagree with the facts , when the facts are the operations of the CBC is not controlled in any way shape or form by Parliament?

Never said it did, but it is still "state controlled" using the very same metrics directed at other media owners and policies.

If the CBC is state controlled then the govt controls what they do. Would that be correct?

Did the CBC admit its own status as a CC in that report? If not, why not?

Yes they did admit they are a CC , and they admit they are exempt from many other CC rules, once again (Treasury Board) to shield them against "potential political interference"

CBCNN is not funded by Parliament. Neither is much of the other arms of the CBC. CBC Sports is not funded by Parliament.

Edited by guyser

How can one disagree with the facts , when the facts are the operations of the CBC is not controlled in any way shape or form by Parliament?

The CBC is owned and majority funded by the government. To say it is not controlled in any way after acknowledging the obvious is a futile exercise.

If the CBC is state controlled then the govt controls what they do. Would that be correct?

Of course...even the FCC exercises some control of independent American broadcasters because of the public interest. I don't know why you think the CBC is immune from such influence. The CBC is state owned, state funded, and state controlled.

Yes they did admit they are a CC , and they admit they are exempt from many other CC rules, once again (Treasury Board) to shield them against "potential political interference"

Then they are state controlled.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

The CBC is owned and majority funded by the government. To say it is not controlled in any way after acknowledging the obvious is a futile exercise.

Well , futile would be dabating something different from the facts.

Why is.... "Heres your money CBC, now go spend it as you see fit" so hard to understand?

No one denies the funding, from Parliament , not the govt as I had posted, but control has always remained in the hands of Mother Corp.

Of course...even the FCC exercises some control of independent American broadcasters because of the public interest. I don't know why you think the CBC is immune from such influence. The CBC is state owned, state funded, and state controlled.

CRTC=FCC , I did not say that anyone is immune from a broadcasting standards act or influence. All TV stations are under that mandate.

But that has nothing to do with decisions made inside the CBC. The CBC controls themselves and not anyone in Parliament or in the Heritage Dept.

Then they are state controlled.

PBS and NPR are state controlled? Interesting.

Edited by guyser

No one denies the funding, from Parliament , not the govt as I had posted, but control has always remained in the hands of Mother Corp.

Only within the bounds permitted by ownership, funding, licensing, regulation, etc. It is controlled by the state.

CRTC=FCC , I did not say that anyone is immune from a broadcasting standards act or influence. All TV stations are under that mandate.

But that has nothing to do with decisions made inside the CBC. The CBC controls themselves and not anyone in Parliament or in the Heritage Dept.

The CBC is a crown corporation and such decisions are government controlled by definition.

PBS and NPR are state controlled? Interesting.

Yes..but less so compared to the CBC. They are not owned or majority funded by government.

The CBC is a crown corporation and such decisions are government controlled by definition.

Please advise us how Parliament tells the CBC what tv programmes to run, what news to report on . Does the control come with a script of what to say or how to say it?

How does Parliament advise the CBC how to spend the money ? DO they include instructions on what goes into development?

Edited by guyser

Please advise us how Parliament tells the CBC what tv programmes to run, what news to report on . Does the control come with a script of what to say or how to say it?

CRTC, CHRC, provincial HRCs, Industry Canada, etc.

How does Parliament advise the CBC how to spend the money ? DO they include instructions on what goes into development?

No, Parliament can indirectly control such development by throttling funding, which has a direct impact on staffing and programming. Through the CRTC, Canada controls content for various domestic objectives.

So every single TV station in canada is state controlled, including Sun News Network? Is that a fair assumption?

If assigned a broadcast frequency and subject to CRTC and other regulation...yes. More so if funding and board appointees are selected by the government instead of stockholders. In this way, the CBC is more "controlled" than others.

Guest American Woman

Do you honestly believe that controlling the budget and who runs it has no effect on what is presented/how it's presented/what isn't presented? None at all?

Do you honestly believe that controlling the budget and who runs it has no effect on what is presented/how it's presented/what isn't presented? None at all?

It happens in the USA as well. Slightly different though. Whitehouse spokesmen more often than not come from the big MSM guys like CNN, FOX, and the other alphabet tv stations. The message is controlled that way too.