Happy Thanksgiving

jbg

This column (link, excerpts below) is one of the best summaries of Thanksgiving over the years I have ever seen written. Very well put.

Truman brought Thanksgiving from being a Christian holiday to an American holiday by including the Jews. On a par with his fostering the creation of the State of Israel, and desegregating the Armed Forces. Not bad for a President who came from the South and originally had both racist and anti-Semitic roots. He transcended those and is now is in the pantheon of great Presidents.

But I digress. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

“As we stand at the close of one year and look to the promise of the next, we lift up our hearts in gratitude to God for our many blessings, for one another, and for our Nation,” is how President Obama spoke of Thanksgiving this year. It is a reminder of to whom thanks are being given. It is also part of a long tradition, going back to Washington, who, when he issued his first Thanksgiving proclamation on October 3, 1789, here at New York City
(my own insert, then the capital of the U.S.)
, noted that Congress had requested he recommend “a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God.”

imilarly pointed references to God were made by Grant, Theodore Roosevelt, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who, like Lincoln, recognized God as an ally of American soldiers in wartime. “God's help to us had been great in this year of march toward world-wide liberty,” Roosevelt wrote in his 1943 proclamation. A year later he suggested “a nationwide reading of the Holy Scriptures during the period from Thanksgiving to Christmas.” President Truman was, in 1950, the first president to make explicit reference in a Thanksgiving proclamation to Jews, asking all Americans “to appeal to the Most High” and entreating them “in church, chapel, and synagogue, in their homes and in the busy walks of life, every day and everywhere, to pray for peace.”

President Reagan said that the Thanksgiving custom derives from “our Judeo-Christian heritage.”
Edited by jbg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the day jbg.

President Reagan said that the Thanksgiving custom derives from “our Judeo-Christian heritage.”[/indent][/indent]

Then again, Reagan wasnt very good with history.T-giving had been celebrated much further north since mid 1500's....long before the Pilgrims.

But thats ok, we let you borrow it. :P

Have a great day.

Edited by guyser

Guest American Woman

Just stuffed myself with way too much good food, had a few glassed of vino, enjoyed visiting with the fam home for the holidays ... and the Packers won! Gotta love it.

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow Americans, and thanks for the well wishes from my neighbors to the north; we give thanks for a neighbor like you on this day of giving thanks. :)

Guest American Woman

In my home (and I assume others) we boil the neck, heart, kidneys etc.. and the reduce the water and that is then used to make the gravy along with the drippings.... Shag the cat!

In my home, it's all about the cat(s). B)

In my home (and I assume others) we boil the neck, heart, kidneys etc.. and the reduce the water and that is then used to make the gravy along with the drippings.... Shag the cat!

Many years ago...1972?...my uncle wanted to help out so he cooked the turkey. Unfortunately, he had been drinking and didn't bother to remove the bagged innards from the turkey's cavity. My aunt went ballistic, but it still makes for a great holiday story.

I give thanks for the defense shield too.

I should add my thankfulness for our great neighbor, Canada. Without Canada the U.S. would not enjoy the happiness and prosperity that it has. While it is very much an independent country with its own culture, history and politics the fact is that we have a border that's at least 5000 km long. Without that border being a friendly, warm place we would never have achieved the levels of security and mutual concord that we have achieved.

I would hope that all Americans think of and join Canada as brethren and colleagues in the advocacy of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Edited by jbg

And let's not forget all the anonymous brown skinned people we get to kill together, our two countries working conjointly, and those individuals we work with conjointly to assasinate.

Wow, that is so nice.

And let's not forget all the anonymous brown skinned people we get to kill together, our two countries working conjointly, and those individuals we work with conjointly to assasinate.

Wow, that is so nice.

Is there something wrong with you that there's no place for goodwill? Cannot we commemorate the travails of the FN's without sourness and bitterness at others' success?

I never understood why Thanksgiving is a month from Christmas...both holidays are holidays where people fly back home from across the country... so you go home for thanksgiving and then you go back to your life and then a month later fly or drive back home again for christmas... that is A LOT of money spent

Its best if it were in October..that way you have a space of 2 months

its insulting the the NHL scheduled games during the Canadian thanksgiving and had canadian teams even play in the U.S but during the American thanksgiving every team has the night off

NHL home office should be in Toronto, not New York

Without Canada there'd be no NHL...60 % of NHL players are from Canada after all and most of the revenue comes from Canada

fuck you bettman (sorry for the language)

Edited by olp1fan