The TTC thread

Black Dog

Makes complete sense.

Why would Ford support it?

The only issue I have is that funding or lack thereof isn't the whole issue. Even if there were money available for a Scarborough subway, it's still an unnecessary expenditure.

That being said, stable reliable funding for transit expansion in whatever form appropriate is a good thing and yes, that's exactly why Ford won't support it. He's not interested in city building, just rabble-rousing.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's D-day for the LRT/subway debate.

It seems there's some signs of sanity from the pro-subway crowd:

Ford allies to propose tax hike for subways

Without any details, this seems like a common sense solution. I can't see any sensible person being oppos...oh.

I nominate this for post of the month.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford shuts down transit debate

Mayor Rob Ford shut down the Sheppard Ave. transit debate Wednesday night to stop council from voting for light rail and then fled into an elevator to escape reporters’ questions.

The bizarre scene, described as “scattered and desperate” by centrist councillor Josh Colle, included Ford failing to delay the vote until April 4 — a bid that triggered mayhem on the council floor. The council meeting resumes Thursday at 9:30 a.m.

Ford allies denying routine permission to let last night’s meeting run past 8 p.m. also apparently prevented another spectacle — a mayor who rode to victory pledging to “end the war on the car,” publicly supporting creation of a $100-per-spot tax on commercial parking spots to fund subway building.

“You can’t make this stuff up,” said Councillor Joe Mihevc. “People were witness to a filibuster that was shameless,” and will backfire, he said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/cityhallpolitics/article/1149603--toronto-mayor-rob-ford-shuts-down-transit-debate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is interesting: Stintz pitches $30 Billion transit expansion

In a bold move that could relieve gridlock across Toronto, the chair of the TTC is proposing a significant increase in property taxes to pay for a sweeping, 170-kilometre public-transit expansion that would start with a Scarborough subway.

At the heart of their plan, dubbed OneCity, is a novel approach to publicly funding new subway, light rail transit and bus lines.

It’s called a “current-value assessment uplift” and it would require the province to change the law so that property-tax collection is no longer revenue neutral for the municipal government.

For the average Toronto homeowner, it would mean an extra $180 a year in property taxes once the plan is fully phased-in in 2016, or the equivalent of an automatic 1.9-per-cent rate increase every year.

That’s over and above any traditional annual property-tax hike.

2% a year plus whatever other increases are needed is pretty steep. Then again I don't live in Toronto.

$180 extra per year doesn't seem that steep to me. I bet most people spend more than that on coffee in 12 months.

How about they ad a $10 surcharge to metropasses?

Why?

$180 extra per year doesn't seem that steep to me. I bet most people spend more than that on coffee in 12 months.

That's $15/month. Would they also be raising rents in the city $15/month. Is it a flat tax hike or an average hike BTW?

It's not a bank-breaker but it's a hefty tax hike and a tax hike that'll be in place for a generation.

Why?

I don't know, to actually get people that use the service to pay. That's what people that advocate for Road Tolls keep saying.

Understood. But the report says $180 every year. Thats too much, and I am the one who has been saying prop taxes should rise.

Nope. It would be about $45 per year up to $180.

For the average Toronto homeowner, it would mean an extra $180 a year in property taxes once the plan is fully phased-in in 2016.

That's $15/month. Would they also be raising rents in the city $15/month. Is it a flat tax hike or an average hike BTW?

It's not a bank-breaker but it's a hefty tax hike and a tax hike that'll be in place for a generation.

Again, if you want to build something, you have to pay for it. The reason Toronto's transit sucks so bad is because it lacks a sustainable funding source for capital projects. This is a step in that direction. Face it: the only way to pay for large-scale public works projects like transit is through some form of tax.

I don't know, to actually get people that use the service to pay. That's what people that advocate for Road Tolls keep saying.

First: fares pay the operating budget not the capital budget. Second:, as I've mentioned many times before, TTC riders already pay more than their share of the pie.

Dalton says NO $30 BILLION TRANSIT PLAN FOR YOU!!!

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1219211--province-approves-lrt-for-toronto-won-t-back-onecity-plan

Queen’s Park has thrown cold water on TTC chair Karen Stintz’s OneCity transit plan, saying it won’t discuss converting the Scarborough Rapid Transit line to a subway or re-imagining the provincially owned air-rail train shuttle into public transit.

“There is a strong consensus across the entire Greater Toronto Area that too much time has been wasted. We need shovels in the ground now,” said Ontario Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Bob Chiarelli.

“The province has been patient. What we need now is action and implementation,” he told reporters at Queen’s Park Friday.

Man McDalton really wants to be hated by everyone doesn't he? Edited by Boges