Europe is an economic basket case

Argus

Guest Derek L

U.S ain't all its cracked up to be... sure, its probably a better place to live than Mexico or an African country

but living in Canada is just as good as living in the U.S

When people from across the world think of Canada they think of cold and snow but when people think of America they think The American Dream

You know which one sounds more appealing

Its based on that and that alone

You know, you’ve posted an opinion that I actually agree with……….Born and raised in Canada, and obviously live here today, but I did live and work in the States for nearly two years…….For an employed professional, I found the differences very small……….Speed limits not in Metric, no French on cereal boxes, cheaper prices on a lot of varying types of food (But not dramatically so) and a significantly warmer climate compared to BC……To qualify myself, I never had to deal with American Healthcare (For which I was covered mind you) for anything more major than a cold and my Children were not enrolled in the schools (Too young and not born).

There are obviously major differences in the “fine print”, but the average day-to-day living is nearly the same…….Kinda why I get a kick out of some Canadians that say we’re so different/better……

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the U.S were in Canada's spot no one would want to move there either

Hey...it doesn't bother people in Siberia!

most immigrants come from warmer countries so why the hell would they decide to move to an arctic country where its so frickin' cold and mostly inhabitable for most of the year that almost the whole population hugs the southern border

"Free" healthcare?

come on man, they don't just move to the U.S cause of your "free speech"

They move to the US mostly for economic reasons, but the rest of the package is a nice bonus!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

There are obviously major differences in the “fine print”, but the average day-to-day living is nearly the same…….Kinda why I get a kick out of some Canadians that say we’re so different/better……

yep, pretty much share the same lifestyle, there are differences of course like the ones you mentioned and the gun culture, the politics being an entertainment in its own right...they're definitely more religious down there but other than those I think we're the same people

...There are obviously major differences in the “fine print”, but the average day-to-day living is nearly the same…….Kinda why I get a kick out of some Canadians that say we’re so different/better……

'Zactly...but that's no fun! Canadians complain if they get too close to the US, and they complain if they get too far. Go figure....

Hey...it doesn't bother people in Siberia!

"Free" healthcare?

They move to the US mostly for economic reasons, but the rest of the package is a nice bonus!

It says that Siberia makes up 77 % of Russia's territory but only 28 % of Russia's population

which is 40 million but still that means 72 % live in the warmer part of Russia

Guest Derek L

yep, pretty much share the same lifestyle, there are differences of course like the ones you mentioned and the gun culture, the politics being an entertainment in its own right...they're definitely more religious down there but other than those I think we're the same people

The Gun Culture for sure………I lived in Texas………As a gun owner, there were defiantly more “benefits”………I wouldn’t say entertainment value wrt their politics, other than they’re more interesting.

It says that Siberia makes up 77 % of Russia's territory but only 28 % of Russia's population

which is 40 million but still that means 72 % live in the warmer part of Russia

Don't be a big puss and hug the border for some American warmth. Get tough like the Siberians and embrace the great outdoors.

The Gun Culture for sure………I lived in Texas………As a gun owner, there were defiantly more “benefits”………I wouldn’t say entertainment value wrt their politics, other than they’re more interesting.

Yea...you must have loved that. We even have cable TV shows about loving our guns!

Guest Derek L

'Zactly...but that's no fun! Canadians complain if they get too close to the US, and they complain if they get too far. Go figure....

We lived in both Forth Worth & Amarillo……..I preferred Amarillo and it’s dry heat……My wife preferred Fort Worth/Dallas area……She’s originally from South Africa and the climate and “Great Plains” reminded her of it.

Don't be a big puss and hug the border for some American warmth. Get tough like the Siberians and embrace the great outdoors.

That's why Russia would defeat Canada in an arctic war, us Canucks are pussies

plus they're known to burn villages down so no one can get warm

Edited by olp1fan

U.S ain't all its cracked up to be... sure, its probably a better place to live than Mexico or an African country but living in Canada is just as good as living in the U.S
Or living in Europe, Japan, South America.

There's "western/normal" and "third world/screwed up".

-----

The blogosphere has not caught on to this terminology.

Edited by August1991

This is a funny thread.

If Europe is an economic basket case then why should Canada immigration strengthen their efforts to recruit immigrants from there?

Because we have a number of flaws in our current immigration selection. First, far too many of them can't communicate adequately in English or French. That means that even in the event they have a valuable skill they often can't find employment. The economic fortunes of recent immigrants have plunged from years past. Far too many come here not because they have any skills, but because they're related to people who have skills. And most of those who have skills are middle aged. Our main focus should be on bringing in younger people.

Bringing in young, European university grads couldn't help produce a far better economic result.

Socially, of course, such immigrants would find it far easier to adjust to life in Canada, since they come from advanced western democracies with a secular culture. And they are far more likely to be able to speak English, as well.

Actually it would be logical to increase the staff numbers at immigration offices where people "want" to come to Canada!

WWWTT

Do we want more people coming to Canada from the current source countries given that the economic fortunes of these immigrants are continuing to deteriorate? Why bring over yet more immigrants to live life in poverty in unsatisfying, bottom tier jobs, or on welfare?

Why bring over yet more immigrants to live life in poverty in unsatisfying, bottom tier jobs, or on welfare?

Only the first generation generally have and problem, and not all of them do. In recent years, it hasn't been as good for immigrants...or anyone in the Western World.

I know you hate immigrants of colour no matter what though, so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Smallc

Mexicans die trying to get to the USA, and employ them in jobs many Americans won't do.

You might take that as a demonstration of just how bad life is in Mexico, not how good life is in the US

Mexicans would die trying to get to Italy, too, if they were on its border.

Greeces bonds are at 19%, they have the biggest hole to get out of. THe trend is your friend, Ireland's have trended downwards. that's a good thing.

The pundits said that there was no chance for growth in 2011, the numbers said otherwise.

And you have no way of knowing that there will be no GDP growth as well, we'll just have to wait until Q4 is published.

We don't have to wait.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15669197

The European Union has drastically cut its growth forecast for the eurozone in 2012, from 1.8% down to just 0.5%.

"Growth has stalled in Europe and there is a risk of a new recession," said European Commissioner Olli Rehn.

The low growth makes it harder for Europe to escape its debt crisis, with Italy's position seen as unsustainable.

Italy raised 5bn euros from a new issue of bonds on Thursday, but had to pay an interest rate of 6.087% to borrow the money for one year.

Only the first generation generally have and problem, and not all of them do. In recent years, it hasn't been as good for immigrants...or anyone in the Western World.

I know you hate immigrants of colour no matter what though, so I'll leave it at that.

I know you're too ignorant and lacking in both education and wisdom to actually judge what I or anyone else hate or don't hate, so all you can manage is your usual sulky boy routine.

Only the first generation? Oh well, that's only about fifty or sixty years on welfare - for millions of immigrants. That's no strain to our system!