96-99%'rs ... YOU ARE the 99%

jacee

96-99%'rs take note:

NOBODY's winning in this 'game'

EXCEPT the 1%

Check the graph ...

5. Normalized to 1979, the top 1% have seen their share of America’s income more than double. The bottom 90% have seen their portion shrink.

if-you-arent-in-the-top-1-of-americas-earners-youre-pretty-much-screwed

With thanks to cybercoma, who originally posted the link to this report

wheres-the-moral-outrage-regarding-financial-situation-in-america

that contains many very informative graphics.

Edited by jacee

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More American data....come on...you can do better than that for Canadian Politics. Have some pride for Krissakes!

I think we have already determined that the Canadian 1% makes about 50% of the American 1%. We haven't figured out why...yet.

If this is getting 'screwed'....I want more of it! ;)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

That's the spirit...you don't need no 'steenkin American data!

Make the Canadian 1% proud.

We know that the gap between the 1% and the rest of us is slightly smaller in Canada,

BUT GROWING FASTER.

We also know that 'aftertax' income in Canada means

ALL HEALTH CARE COSTS ARE ALREADY PAID.

IE, `AFTERTAX' means different things in the US and Canada.

Some Canadian info ...

The rise of Canada's richest 1%

This generation of rich canadians is staking claim to a larger share of economic growth than any generation that has preceded it in recorded history. An examination of income trends over the past 90 years reveals that incomes are as concentrated in the hands of the richest 1% today as they were in the Roaring Twenties. And even then, the Canada’s elite didn’t experience as rapid a growth in their income share as has occurred in the past 20 years.

Canada’s richest 1% — the 246,000 privileged few whose average income is $405,000 — took almost a third (32%) of all growth in incomes in the fastest growing decade in this generation, 1997 to 2007.

As for your "50%" comment, I think there's some confusion between

Mean/average income, and

Median/middle income.

Median is more reliable for income because of the inordinate effect of very high incomes.

Stats Canada tends to focus on Median for that reason, but I've noticed that US data tends to report Average income.

I suspect they're not so different.

Edited by jacee

We know that the gap between the 1% and the rest of us is slightly smaller in Canada,

BUT GROWING FASTER.

We also know that 'aftertax' income in Canada means

ALL HEALTH CARE COSTS ARE ALREADY PAID.

IE, `AFTERTAX' means different things in the US and Canada.

OK...that helps to explain part of the delta, but the difference is like $200,000. That is, the American 1% income threshold is about $400,000 give or take a few dollars, but Canada's 1% threshold is only about $200,000.

No wonder you guys are pissed! :)

I'd kindly ask you to stop pretending you speak for me, or anyone else in the 99%. You don't. You never will. I don't know how much more clearly I can make that. I'm part of the 99%, and you don't represent me in any way, shape or form. People like you are the real 1%. Because only 1% of the population subscribes to your ridiculous beliefs. :)

I'd kindly ask you to stop pretending you speak for me, or anyone else in the 99%. You don't. You never will. I don't know how much more clearly I can make that. I'm part of the 99%, and you don't represent me in any way, shape or form. People like you are the real 1%. Because only 1% of the population subscribes to your ridiculous beliefs. :)

No... actually the belief that wealth concentration at its current level is unsustainable, and that our financial system is broken is actually pretty mainstream.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Americans are more distrustful of their financial institutions, according to a new poll that shows only 23% of those surveyed said they trust the country's financial systems

The 23% are made up of the 1% thats getting rich off the scam, and the 22% that dont have access to calculators.

Does the REAL truth scare you Shady? :lol:

Did you even have the courage to LOOK at the graph?

I speak for no one but myself, and I let the data speak for itself. :)

Edited by jacee

Thought this was relevant:

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2011-11/03/content_23806814.htm

Seems to me the movement of the world's wealthy to the US is going to have the effect of increasing the size of this 1%.

What this statistic also illustrates is trying make the 1% 'pay their share' may not actually generate much revenue since they have the ability to structure their finances to protect them from the taxman.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/10/13/101311-opinions-column-millionaire-tax-dalmia-1-2/

Millionaires have a mysterious way of vanishing from states that institute such taxes. Maryland imposed a millionaire tax in 2008; a year later, a third of its millionaires disappeared from its tax rolls. After Oregon raised income taxes on the richest 2 percent of its residents in 2009, about one-quarter of rich filers went missing.
Edited by TimG

Thought this was relevant:

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2011-11/03/content_23806814.htm

Seems to me the movement of the world's wealthy to the US is going to have the effect of increasing the size of this 1%.

What this statistic also illustrates is trying make the 1% 'pay their share' may not actually generate much revenue since they have the ability to structure their finances to protect them from the taxman.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/10/13/101311-opinions-column-millionaire-tax-dalmia-1-2/

Read further ... a national tax would address that.

Auditing those whose income suspiciously drops would help too! :)

Read further ... a national tax would address that.
A bit in the short term. Over time you would see the number of people in those income categories drop as people make choices that reduce the taxable compensation that they would see. This means the tax will inevitability bring in a lot less revenue that than the 'soak the rich' crowd believes.
Auditing those whose income suspiciously drops would help too!
That is another leftie myth. The top 1% is changing constantly. More than 60% of the people in the top 1% in 1996 had dropped out by 2005.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/tax-policy/Documents/incomemobilitystudy03-08revise.pdf

Edited by TimG