Ford Outsources Business Card Printing to Family Company

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1078106--ford-outsources-business-cards-to-his-family-s-firm?bn=1

Mayor Rob Ford has outsourced the printing of business cards for himself and his staff to his family’s printing company, billing taxpayers up to four times as much per card as councillors who have them printed by the city.

No seriously... is Ashton Kutcher Punking Toronto?

Looks like Deco Labels, his family business, also made an undisclosed campaign donation by waiving late fees.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/ford-family-firms-gave-mayors-campaign-a-break-on-late-payment-fees/article2202137/

Ford also stiffed the city out of its fines for his campaign sign violations by saying, "Uh... gee... I don't know how those signs got there." [paraphrasing] As it relates to the Deco Labels deal above, the article also mentions that he "has gone to court seeking to quash a city committee’s order for a full audit of his campaign funding."

http://www.thestar.com/news/torontocouncil/article/1030383--sign-fees-waived-for-mayor

So, the question, Best Toronto mayor ever?

Ford to pay for business cards

As I understand it, the expense for business cards doesn't have to come under the scrutiny of tender and really, if you know the product and can get a really good deal, why not?

“If he pays it back, I think that’s a fine move on the mayor’s part,” said Councillor Josh Matlow.

But he added that even if Ford pays back the money, it raises questions about why he contracted out work to his family firm.

As a penny-pinching city councillor Ford routinely filed no office expenses.

No see the mayor is supposed to print crappy 1 cent cards not these pimped out 7 cent cards that he ordered.

No he can print whatever he wants from whomever he wants. But chose to pay back his expenses because he is a guy with a lot of integrity. Quit being such a Ford-hater.

No see the mayor is supposed to print crappy 1 cent cards not these pimped out 7 cent cards that he ordered.

:rolleyes:

You honestly see nothing wrong with paying 7 times more money to family members than the office would normally pay? And then paying it back when you get caught??? You really think this is proper behaviour for an elected official?

So I guess the sponsorship scandal was OK with you then eh? :lol:

You honestly see nothing wrong with paying 7 times more money to family members than the office would normally pay? And then paying it back when you get caught??? You really think this is proper behaviour for an elected official?

So I guess the sponsorship scandal was OK with you then eh? :lol:

Yes of course. Compare the Sponsorship scandal to the purchase of freakin' business cards! :rolleyes:

There were criminal charges files for the Sponsorship Scandal. Has Bill Blair been called regarding CarScam?

Unless Ford was skimming public health money to pay for these cards I don't see a problem here.

As opposed to ex-councillors that use public money to pay for French lessons and Retirement parties. :D

The Mayor of a city uses public funds to buy business cards at 7x the price from his own family's business and you don't see a problem? Is this just willful ignorance?

If he used his office budget then no, did he? The story indicates he did.

BTW

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/5a/76/af0ab8174bd7abbb724fa7312e81.jpeg

Ford's Card is much nicer than Josh Matlow. :P

Edited by Boges

He funnelled city cash into his family's business, then when he was caught he said he would pay it back. If you don't see something wrong with that, then there's something wrong with you.

So he's obliged to use a 3rd party just cuz?

So if he owned a graphic design company and wanted to design a brochure or something like that for city purposes he can't use his company either?

It's not like he was tendering contracts for the city or anything.

I think the reason he's paying it back now because he'll look like a hypocrite by using his office budget after so many years of not using it at all. Even though that money is going straight into his pocket which is kind of smart.

It's no scam though.

Edited by Boges

He funnelled city cash into his family's business, then when he was caught he said he would pay it back. If you don't see something wrong with that, then there's something wrong with you.

Take off your blinders. Do you really think that Rob Ford - who donates any of his pay raises to charity or back to the city - would try and stiff the city for the profit (probably $150) from $1500 worth of business cards? On top of that, for 10 years, the guy never claimed any office expenses while he was a councillor.

I get it - you don't like the guy......but heavens, give yourself a shake.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Take off your blinders. Do you really think that Rob Ford - who donates any of his pay raises to charity or back to the city - would try and stiff the city for the profit (probably $150) from $1500 worth of business cards?

Actually, this is a very good point.

I don't think this or the 911 call issue are anything substantive. For the Ford haters out there (or those who love political comedy as I do) it was good fuel for the furnace for awhile, but these stories are starting to become annoying.

They're having serious discussions around the city's programs and finances and we should be focusing on that.

Do you think The Star will graciously apologize for this most recent attack? I doubt it. They'll probably say he was forced to pay it back because of all the negative publicity - generated by who else, why, The Star of course. And the childish vendetta continues.

TORONTO - Mayor Rob Ford has paid the city back $4,000 in office expenses.

Ford wrote the cheque to reimburse the city for taxpayer-funded expenses from his office budget on Tuesday, the same day he was back at city hall from Mexico and one day after his office told the Sun he would repay the costs.

According to records posted on the citys website, Ford reimbursed the city for three different expenses totalling $4,000.

Ford paid the city back for $1,499 in business card printing, a job done by his familys firm, Deco Labels and Tags. His office maintains Ford got three bids for the printing job before going with Deco.

The mayor also paid the city back for $1,422.08 for his offices newspaper subscriptions to four daily newspapers, including the Sun, and for $1,078.92 in fleet maintenance expenses for his vehicle.

He always intended to pay it back, Adrienne Batra, Fords press secretary, said Friday.

When he was a councillor for 10 years, the mayor always covered the costs of his business cards out of his own pocket. The fact that he is doing so again as mayor should be neither new nor unanticipated, she said.

Link: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/04/ford-reimburses-4gs-in-office-expenses

Edited by Keepitsimple