Long-gun registry to be shot down Thursday

Guest Derek L

I'd say it's the left and the mentally ill you folks hate the most.

If I ever needed a reason to own a gun for defence, that might be it.

Well that was an incredibly stupid thing to say, completely irrelevant, but i suppose that's what it comes down to for people like you when your arguments (using that term loosely) are so easily refuted.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another way to prevent people from suddenly deciding to go postal with weapons stored at home comes to mind. A gun storage unit could require the actions of two people to open. In addition to the sudden enraged and psychotic shooters this could also prevent a lot of domestic gun killings and murder suicides.

"Honey, I want to clean the guns okay?"

"You mean right now while I've got this moose steak on my black-eye"?

So you're insinuating that gun owners abuse their wives?

You are disgusting in addition to being ignorant.

... but i suppose that's what it comes down to for people like you when your arguments (using that term loosely) are so easily refuted.

interesting... your post level profile shows you've been on the board for about a week... you have about a dozen posts. MLW member eyeball, quite often, quite regularly, has no trouble successfully arguing his positions. Perhaps you should actually try to refute before claiming "victory", hey?

ha! The following quote from the post immediately preceding yours... perhaps you should sprinkle your disgust around a tad!

I fail to see how by the government having a list of the hunting rifles, shotguns and rimfire rifles in my home, will reduce the risk of me beating/killing my wife and children or shooting myself

Guest Derek L

interesting... your post level profile shows you've been on the board for about a week... you have about a dozen posts. MLW member eyeball, quite often, quite regularly, has no trouble successfully arguing his positions. Perhaps you should actually try to refute before claiming "victory", hey?

ha! The following quote from the post immediately preceding yours... perhaps you should sprinkle your disgust around a tad!

I see you reference my previous reply, and though not directing your response towards myself, I still must ask you, how does/would the long gun registry prevent me from beating the tarmac out of and/or offing my family or myself?

You imply (Or how I read it) a level of disgust with my post………What in my post would make you trigger (pun intended) such a response?

You imply (Or how I read it) a level of disgust with my post………What in my post would make you trigger (pun intended) such a response?

not at all... I only used your post as a countering foil to MLW members expressed 'disgust' towards MLW member eyeball... each of you made reference to a similar/like degree of 'domestic assault' that the expressed 'disgust' was targeted at. I interpret your respective positions on gun control as being different... hence, the suggestion to MLW member huh to perhaps spread his eyeball directed disgust around. Clearly, after having to explain myself, I obviously missed the mark.

Guest Derek L

not at all... I only used your post as a countering foil to MLW members expressed 'disgust' towards MLW member eyeball... each of you made reference to a similar/like degree of 'domestic assault' that the expressed 'disgust' was targeted at. I interpret your respective positions on gun control as being different... hence, the suggestion to MLW member huh to perhaps spread his eyeball directed disgust around. Clearly, after having to explain myself, I obviously missed the mark.

Fair enough, to be honest, wasn't entirely sure of your point......carry on ;)

Your opinions, though usually different than mine, tend to take a more reasoned approach, with the ability to put emotional reactionary responses aside……….What is your opinion on the effectiveness of the Long gun registry and personal gun ownership? I’d be interested in knowing and thanks in advance.

Nothing you said here refutes any arguments i have made (despite my low post count, as if that matters..), or changes the insinuation made by eyeball that gun owners beat their wives any more than any other male would, that should simply be unacceptable. Simply put, the arguments I have made, and the numbers i have presented on this issue couldn't be any more obvious, i have yet to see a single argument for the gun registry that either can not be completely refuted or at least considered an unknown.

No amount of desperation, twisting or outright ignoring the facts, or wild unfounded accusations will change that.

You nailed it right there and that is one of the biggest problems we gun owners have is the myths that these losers come up with, no wonder this has been one of the most dividing policies ever.

Guest Derek L

Why U.S. Gun Sales Are Shooting For The Moon

A couple of interesting points from the article:

According to the FBI, over 1.5 million background checks on customers looking to purchase a firearm were requested by gun dealers to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) last December. That’s a record. In fact, nearly 500,000 of those background checks occurred during the six days before Christmas—people were putting more than Red Rider BB guns under their trees!
This $4.1 billion industry “has had nineteen months of growth in an otherwise anemic economy,” boasts Sanetti. “We’re grateful and proud that our industry has helped maintain jobs from the manufacturer through retail levels during these difficult economic times.”

However, this upbeat sector of the economy hasn’t yet been praised by a president looking for good economic news to tout, which is too bad, as he’s helping these manufacturers.

I do wonder why President Obama isn't touting this fact.....

Back in 2009 gun manufacturers labeled President Barack Obama as the “best gun salesman of all time.” They weren’t even jesting. The FBI recorded a 49 percent rise in gun background checks during the 2008 election week compared to the same week a year earlier. Fear of coming gun-control legislation certainly helped sell those guns, though how much is impossible to say.

Indeed, this prolonged surge in gun sales has driven Sarah Brady’s group to some very creative spin; for example, Caroline Brewer, of the Brady Campaign, said, “The research we’ve seen indicates fewer and fewer people are owning more and more guns.”

Sanetti doesn’t think the Brady Campaign’s spin has a syllable of truth in it; after all, he pointed out that the NSSF’s First Shots Program (a program that holds shooting lessons for the public) has been growing fast. “Fun, new action-shooting sports, such as 3-gun and sporting clays, are also bringing in a lot of new shooters, especially women,” he says.

And popular shows, such as The History Channel’s Top Shots, have helped to showcase how much fun shooting can be; as a result, Sanetti says, “President Barack Obama can certainly be credited with some of the increase in gun sales. His Supreme Court nominees have been anti-gun and his administration has been hostile to the rights of law-abiding gun owners. And anti-gun activist Sarah Brady did stoke this fear when she was quoted in the Washington Post saying President Obama told her he’s working on gun control “under the radar.”

So the “threat or rumour” of gun control laws being passed has led to a dramatic increase of sales……Perhaps a prudent strategy for those Opposition parties here in Canada that wish to put limits on private ownership of firearms is to not talk about it….

Sanetti explained that in 1959 some 70 percent of the American public favored handgun bans, whereas today that number has flipped. “We’ve been able to conclusively prove scientifically that, as John Lott wrote, more guns do equal less crime. Other factors include the fact that the number of hunters has actually risen in a number of states. Then you have returning servicemen and women who are staying with the shooting sports. Meanwhile, the advocacy of the NSSF, the NRA and other groups have shown that the Second Amendment is a fundamental part of our freedom.”

The reference to John Lott is telling……..As his prior research has shown, an increase in gun ownership coupled with friendly concealed carry laws have seen a reduction in gun crime………The Opposition parties are taking the wrong tract……Since gun control doesn’t work in preventing criminals gaining access to firearms, perhaps they should put forth a proposal for a concealed carry provision in the Firearms Act, thus doing an end around on the CPC’s locked vote of gun owners….

Edited by Derek L

I've read your posts Derek and I think we agree on most things regardng guns, but I'm not in favor of a backlash that sees us all armed to the teeth against a further ban/restriction on various weapons. I think we are on the cusp of turning back the stupidity of the long-gun registry, and that's great, but I for one would just like to see a return to normalcy where my huning weapons no longer put me on a special list that makes me a target of a SWAT intervention. I think we can agree that regular hunting guns should be available to those who just want to hunt, and for those who want to shoot handguns, there should be yet another classification. I personally do not want an American system where people can have hidden handguns in their glove compartment to settle road rage incidents. As a responsible hunter, I just don't see the need for such a classification. If I'm missing something, let me know.

Guest Derek L

I've read your posts Derek and I think we agree on most things regardng guns, but I'm not in favor of a backlash that sees us all armed to the teeth against a further ban/restriction on various weapons. I think we are on the cusp of turning back the stupidity of the long-gun registry, and that's great, but I for one would just like to see a return to normalcy where my huning weapons no longer put me on a special list that makes me a target of a SWAT intervention. I think we can agree that regular hunting guns should be available to those who just want to hunt, and for those who want to shoot handguns, there should be yet another classification. I personally do not want an American system where people can have hidden handguns in their glove compartment to settle road rage incidents. As a responsible hunter, I just don't see the need for such a classification. If I'm missing something, let me know.

Not to come off sounding like a personal attack, but your reaction to concealed carry and/or handguns, is along the same lines as those in favour of the LGR…..You bring up “settling road rage incidents” or a “American system”………My response, like it is to the LGR, if I meet all the requirements for licensing (PAL/RPAL), that should be “good enough”……….You wouldn’t “settle a fender bender” with your deer rifle anymore than I would with my 1911.……..

The same courtesy should be extended to owners of restricted firearms……….And in my “scenario”, a concealed carry permit would also have to be licensed, and like safe storage laws for long guns, rules and requirements would have to be met………..That being said, like those that refused to register their long guns, one would have to be naive to think there aren’t Canadians carrying holsters behind their back or under their jacket already…….You can buy them perfectly legally online or in stores here……So let’s make the carrying of them on ones person legal.

As for a “backlash” and future restrictions……..It won’t be feasible once the LGR is gone….Do you really think gun owners will register their firearms a second time? You give them an inch……and well you know the rest.

You're losing me in the acronyms here, but I'm not sure why you think the average Canadian needs to carry concealed waepons. I bring my hunting guns out around August to sight them in and prepare ammo for the fall hunting season, and I have friends that shoot more regularly because they like to punch paper. Beyond target shooting and hunting I'm not sure I agree with people being armed all the time anywhere. To what purpose?

Guest Derek L

You're losing me in the acronyms here, but I'm not sure why you think the average Canadian needs to carry concealed waepons. I bring my hunting guns out around August to sight them in and prepare ammo for the fall hunting season, and I have friends that shoot more regularly because they like to punch paper. Beyond target shooting and hunting I'm not sure I agree with people being armed all the time anywhere. To what purpose?

Why not? Why do people carry bear/pepper spray? If, hypothetically , my wife worked late nights in a “bad part of town”, I’m sure we’d both feel more comfortable with her carrying a M&P 9mm in her purse then solely relying on the 911 speed dial feature on her cell…..

As the old quote says: “An armed society, is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

Edited by Derek L

Why not? Why do people carry bear/pepper spray? If, hypothetically , my wife worked late nights in a “bad part of town”, I’m sure we’d both feel more comfortable with her carrying a M&P 9mm in her purse then solely relying on the 911 speed dial feature on her cell…..

As the old quote says: “An armed society, is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

How many Airline hijackings would there be if every passenger were handed a loaded pistol on entry?

If I'm missing something, let me know.

Should we be trying to do anything whatsoever to deal with the possibility you might suffer a mental illness and do something awful with your gun that's out of your ability to control?

Assuming you survive would you like us to treat you humanely in a hospital or put you in a cell with Bubba and hope that he repeatedly ass-rapes you?

Maybe you'd prefer we just dump you on an ice floe.

Think about it in this light, would you want someone like Tilter involved in the process that decides your fate?

Edited by eyeball

Guest Derek L

Should we be trying to do anything whatsoever to deal with the possibility you might suffer a mental illness and do something awful with your gun that's out of your ability to control?

Assuming you survive would you like us to treat you humanely in a hospital or put you in a cell with Bubba and hope that he repeatedly ass-rapes you?

Maybe you'd prefer we just dump you on an ice floe.

Think about it in this light, would you want someone like Tilter involved in the process that decides your fate?

What about those that partake in recreational drugs use? Couldn’t continued usage lead to physical and/or mental health issues? What about those already suffering from a mental illness that are on prescription medication, and combined with recreational drugs, leads to negative results……….If only we could regulate their usage, surely all would be well……….We could implement national drug testing, and those that test positive, could be invoiced the cost of enforcing and treating those that take a bad trip………We could take it further…..all recreational drugs will have to be used at central locations (Paid for by the users) and be monitored by medical staff until the effects wear off……….Also to ensure compliance with leaving said drugs at said central locations, we could allow the police extra ordinary rights to search and seizure of registered users homes………

Surely further restrictions on drugs would surely reduce suicides………Well we’re at it, let’s do the same with alcohol………Think of all the instances of suicide, fighting, abuse and murder we could reduce by putting further restrictions on drugs and alcohol……..We’ll call it “Private use Prohibition”……..

Edited by Derek L