Ontario employees sent memo about "sensitivity" to Muslims.

Bob

The new new ways must embrace the rights of individuals over the collective, allow humans beings the right to express themselves from the viewpoint of their religion, culture, heritage. Even in the workplace... we are more than simply units of production to allow wealth to trickle up to some otherwise abstract concept such as a business corporation. The best workplaces will be the ones that have a 'quiet room', where employees can take a break and find themselves for a while, through prayer, meditation or what have you. Even just a place to stretch out and have a nap. The "humanity room", it could be called.

Are you kidding? I mean, is this some sort of dry, stylized humour which attempts to mimic the brainless far left social engineering crowd?

Here's a news flash. When you're at work, you're paid to WORK. You can go 'find yourself' on your own time.

And enforcing a monoculture is a necessary thing given the wild variations of human behaviour and the close interaction needed in many work places. Anything else leads to constant fighting and arguing which disrupts that WORK you're supposed to be doing.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what is interesting or even disturbing is how things like this provoke a response in some people who fear that it represents making concessions to Islamic fundamentalism, as though being considerate to people of other cultures means we must somehow become them.

That's because we feel its important that 'them' become 'us'. Their old culture should have been left behind in the miserable hole that they came from. They came here to partake in all that is Canada, and that means abandoning their primitive, failed cultures. We should be encouraging them to do so, not aiding them in retaining them.

I've just discovered a quick way of skimming through lots of posts. You simply ignore any which have those stupid smileys in them! It works great, since the posts with the smileys tend to be largely substance free and full of insults anyway.

That pretty much lets out anyone who believes in innovation and new ideas, and leaves behind dull, bureaucratic drudges who just plod along, doing the same thing over and over....

I disagree. Good team mechanics encourage idea sharing. You certainly wouldn't have an environment like that if people felt threatened by a hostile team member.

Good God. If this isn't against the rules, it should be. I've told you repeatedly that I did not say what you claim I said. Keep repeating your false claim if you must - I have better things to do with my time that point out your lie every time you repeat it - which will obviously be until the end of time if I keep refuting it. So have your way. And while you're at it, go to hell.

But do have a nice day. :)

You can be so sweet....and so sensitive - you don't need "sensitivity" training - all people are sensitive - they do not need to be forced or reminded to be sensitive and aware of others - the fact that some one wears the tag of Muslim is of no consequence - they should have sent out a memo that stated "remember my friends to be aware of others...that you must think of the needs of others" ----- that is called practical and good social behaviour...to tell people to be aware of certain groups is redundant.

And they see it everywhere except in their own ranks.

Sometimes the stereotypes are true.

Especially when it comes to immigrant hating rednecks voting PC :)

Stop giving us so many examples.

"Dey took r' jobs!"

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Ramadan memo creates controversy

So Ontario public service employees were sent some memo about being "sensitive" to Muslims during the holy month of Ramadan, and "accommodating" their prayer/washing needs, and no displaying food during meetings and other gatherings because of their fast. So pathetic.

It would be OK and not pathetic if the courtesies were reciprocal. Jewish workers should be allowed to work in Saudi Arabia and not have their heads separated from their bodies. And their holidays should be honored.

It would be OK and not pathetic if the courtesies were reciprocal. Jewish workers should be allowed to work in Saudi Arabia and not have their heads separated from their bodies. And their holidays should be honored.

You are right in principle, but we cannot control what they do in Saudi Arabia. Is it justified then for us to adopt their attitude? Because that seems to be your logic here.

All we can do is demonstrate what we believe to be right. If we don't do that, who will?

You are right in principle, but we cannot control what they do in Saudi Arabia. Is it justified then for us to adopt their attitude? Because that seems to be your logic here.

All we can do is demonstrate what we believe to be right. If we don't do that, who will?

My problem is that other cultures see fit to protect their traditions and way of life. Why are we any different?

My problem is that other cultures see fit to protect their traditions and way of life. Why are we any different?

According to a wiki article, Saudi Arabia law is based on Islamic principles. By restricting other cultures from emigrating there they are merely trying to protect their own culture and traditions....something you appear to support....

The core elements of our way of life have to be protected. I guess the question is, where does that line get crossed, or rather, what is it that threatens our way of life. There are definitely some things to e concerned about. I think that asking people (not ordering them) to not eat during a meeting is still reasonable. Eating during meetings is kinda gross anyway, and people deserve to have "protected time" to eat their lunch, and break away from work for a little while. Otherwise the corporate culture becomes eating while working, because we're overworked, because the a-holes won't hire a few more people to spread the work out a little. Strangely many people don't have a problem with that, ever increasing demands on our personal time for the sake of increasing production.

Muslims are so very different from us culturally speaking, in their attitude towards production and capitalism. At times they make a conscious decision NOT to make profit, or for that matter progress. This is based on their religious belief. In a more idealized view it could be said they are the last bastion of old-world spiritual anti-materialism, and as such, they should be protected.

The seductive values of western living will take their toll on Muslim values..the nice cars...our irresponsible recreational sex...matieralism in general....Watching the parking lot near my house _ I saw a couple of young Muslims get out or a very expensive car - and saunter off into the strip club for some western entertainment...give it time - we will corrupt them as we corrupted our own.