Ontario employees sent memo about "sensitivity" to Muslims.

Bob

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ramadan memo creates controversy

So Ontario public service employees were sent some memo about being "sensitive" to Muslims during the holy month of Ramadan, and "accommodating" their prayer/washing needs, and no displaying food during meetings and other gatherings because of their fast. So pathetic.

Why is it "so pathetic?"

Why is it "so pathetic?"

Why are we adjusting to their needs? If your prayer needs interfere with your job requirements, perhaps it's time to look for another job. This is just another example in the West's capitulation to inferior societies and ideologies. In the long-term, unless we can stand up and assert our superiority, we're finished.

What's the maximum percentage of the population you're willing to accept in Canada to be Muslim?

Guest American Woman

I'm wondering if a memo will be passed around during the Christmas season, reminding people to be sensitive to Christians' mangers and Christmas trees and caroling ...... all of which, I'm sure, are allowed to be displayed. :)

If Canada weren't kissing Israeli ass, Bob would be on a terrorist watch list..

Now who's being extremist.

I suppose if you're allowed a smoke break you can have a prayer break.

But the fact you can't just pray at your work terminal seems a bit weird. But banning lunch meetings is a pretty ridiculous policy.

I'm wondering if a memo will be passed around during the Christmas season, reminding people to be sensitive to Christians' mangers and Christmas trees and caroling ...... all of which, I'm sure, are allowed to be displayed.

So the two things are necessarily linked? In your mind I mean... just askin'

Why are we adjusting to their needs?

The same reason we adjust for the needs of Jews, Hindus and Sikhs by making allowances for their religious practices in the workplace. That reason being some of us aren't assholes.

This is just another example in the West's capitulation to inferior societies and ideologies.

Indeed, we should stop catering to any group that believes in magical sky fairies.

Edited by Black Dog

Why is it "so pathetic?"

It's a continuum of accommodating religion in Ontario's public school system.

Toronto’s public schools have been accommodating Muslim students’ requests for time and space to pray, during the school day, on school property. At one school, on Fridays at one p.m., 300 Grade 7 and 8 students join an imam for prayer for 30 to 40 minutes. Muslim girls who wish to be part of the prayer sit at the back of the room.

There is something troubling about this, especially in the acceptance of a diminished or secondary or simply different role for girls and women in an event facilitated by the school. This is different from permitting girls to wear clothing such as a niqab that mark them, in the eyes of some, as inferior to boys. An individual’s right to free expression in clothing needs no facilitation from the school. Schools should not, though, be handing out face-veils to Muslim girls.

Once a school allows such differentiated prayer roles on its property during the school day, it is not the same school any more. Its values are not the same. A public school’s value statement might be: Within these walls, between 8:30 and 3:30, girls may do anything boys can do and boys may do anything girls can do. This is a protected zone for equality. Public schools need to safeguard their essential universalism in which no hierarchy exists, and no privilege is owed to one and not another.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/editorials/public-schools-cannot-be-places-of-prayer/article2091850/

Keep religion out of public schools. Why is that so hard to do?

Although somewhat unrelated, and I think capricorn might appreciate this, is how weak and spineless Hudack is. Can you imagine him actually having the courage to address these issues forcefully? Nope. Neither can I. Another reason why Hudack pretending to be a "conservative" is a sad joke.

Since they'd help keep extremists like you at bay, 99% would be comforting.

You've joined the ranks of dre, GostHacked, and Peter F. All of whom are completely comfortable living in a Canada where all women wear hijabs (which means, of course, that all of Canada's women are Muslims). And guess what unites all of them? They're all leftists. What a surprise, that the left is comfortable with the destruction (or Islamization) of Canada...

Although somewhat unrelated, and I think capricorn might appreciate this, is how weak and spineless Hudack is. Can you imagine him actually having the courage to address these issues forcefully? Nope. Neither can I. Another reason why Hudack pretending to be a "conservative" is a sad joke.

You hit the nail Bob. Hudak is no better than McGuinty in trying to be all things to all people. Both are steadfast in avoiding controversy or insulting some group's sensitivities.

You hit the nail Bob. Hudak is no better than McGuinty in trying to be all things to all people. Both are steadfast in avoiding controversy or insulting some group's sensitivities.

This country is finished. When the political culture of Canada is so far to the left as to describe people like Harper as "far right wing", you know we're done for. When a loser like Hudack is the number one guy running for the premiership of the most important Canadian province as a supposed "conservative".... well...

You've joined the ranks of dre, GostHacked, and Peter F. All of whom are completely comfortable living in a Canada where all women wear hijabs (which means, of course, that all of Canada's women are Muslims). And guess what unites all of them? They're all leftists. What a surprise, that the left is comfortable with the destruction (or Islamization) of Canada...

Good to know I'm in good company then.

Together we can help save Canada from the terrorists who come from the Far-Right-Wing Ultra-Nationalist Extemist movement.

Yes, we have to be sensitive to all such religious groups and we are.

There's no point in singling any religion out, as this is done for all religions.

Actually, minorities should be sensitive to everyone else. This mentality of pandering to minorities is exactly what will be the undoing of this country.

It's a continuum of accommodating religion in Ontario's public school system.

Keep religion out of public schools. Why is that so hard to do?

It's a "continuum?" Hmmmm... well, since you are sure of this, can you provide some defined linkages between the limited controversy at a few Toronto schools to a memo sent to all Ontario government workers?

You know, since you see it so clearly.

Thanks!

Well, you can always just fuck off back to your other country.

It's funny how I'm actually the one patriotic enough to assert the superiority of Western values (democracy, free markets, and secularism) over inferior cultures and societies, and you're trying to take some dig at me on a similar level. You're the one who lives in some moronic world of cultural relativism, where the Western way of life isn't any better, but just a different way of doing things. The irony is quite rich.

Yes, we have to be sensitive to all such religious groups and we are.

There's no point in singling any religion out, as this is done for all religions.

Yep. And I am fairly certain that the Government of Ontario still offers cross-cultural sensitivity training to inform people of all kinds of different cultural traits since the workplace is changing significantly. More information about other cultures, some see it as a bad thing. Go figure.

It's funny how I'm actually the one patriotic enough to assert the superiority of Western values (democracy, free markets, and secularism) over inferior cultures and societies, and you're trying to take some dig at me on a similar level.

Nah, I just question the patriotism and commitment to this country of someone who identifies with a foreign power and rejects many of the principles that make this country and western democracy great.

You're the one who lives in some moronic world of cultural relativism, where the Western way of life isn't any better, but just a different way of doing things.

Cite?

The irony is quite rich.

Nah, you know what's ironic? Some swinging dick espousing the exact same xenophobic tripe that kept his own people on the margins in this country for so much of its history.

Edited by Black Dog