New leader of the NDP - A Sepratist?

I realize that the letter was posted on PSAC website before it was published in the Ottawa Citizen with that same title. Weird how they predicted what title the Ottawa Citizen would put on it. They should use their new psychic powers to help the country out a little don't you think?

Even weirder is how you know that...and how they knew it would be published...

No really....the date it is posted is the same date it was published...

You have lost what little credibility you've had...but please...keep flailing ...

Edited by M.Dancer

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it really isn't. If you ask a yes no question depending on what you ask you might get that number. However when you make the question like AR did you get a 20-25% hard line separatist base, and you find everyone else in Quebec wants to be part of Canada with differing degrees of power invested in the province.

For someone that claims to know anything whatsoever about Québec politics, you sure do a disaster of a job interpreting polling in the province. I swear polls regarding Québec sovereignty are nearly published weekly in the province and never in 30+ years has support for sovereignty been as low as 20-25%, not even when the "hardest question" is asked.

Can we get a single source that would corroborate that number?

Even weirder is how you know that...and how they knew it would be published...

No really....the date it is posted is the same date it was published...

You have lost what little credibility you've had...but please...keep flailing ...

Yeah it was because it was a response to a Citizen story about PSAC endorsing the Bloc. Mrs. Turmel wrote it and sent it into the Citizen to set the record straight about her unions stance on Separatism. You didn't read the letter did you? You see how it is a response the citizen story Labour pains, March 1? Right?

For someone that claims to know anything whatsoever about Québec politics, you sure do a disaster of a job interpreting polling in the province. I swear polls regarding Québec sovereignty are nearly published weekly in the province and never in 30+ years has support for sovereignty been as low as 20-25%, not even when the "hardest question" is asked.

Can we get a single source that would corroborate that number?

You are right in 2009 it was 28%. I bet if you asked the same question now it would be even lower.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/32029410/Separation-from-Canada-Unlikely-for-a-Majority-of-Quebecers

Yeah it was because it was a response to a Citizen story about PSAC endorsing the Bloc. Mrs. Turmel wrote it and sent it into the Citizen to set the record straight about her unions stance on Separatism. You didn't read the letter did you? You see how it is a response the citizen story Labour pains, March 1? Right?

I see you squirming....

Published in the Citizen, March 6th

Posted on the PSAC website....

Published by Patrick March 6th, 2006 in News / OpEd, Nycole Turmel

You are right in 2009 it was 28%. I bet if you asked the same question now it would be even lower.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/32029410/Separation-from-Canada-Unlikely-for-a-Majority-of-Quebecers

The poll you cite shows that

40% want sovereignty Association

34% want out right independence

I see you squirming....

Published in the Citizen, March 6th

Posted on the PSAC website....

Please tell me more about the intent of the letter that was sent in to set the record straight about PSAC support Bloc Candidates. Tell me more about how they needed to the set record straight on a story that was correct. Please do that for me. Tell me more about the intent of the letter titled "PSAC endorses Bloc’s progressive policies, not its goal of separatism". Face it you are a Canadian Birther now. Sad you fell so fast.

The poll you cite shows that

40% want sovereignty Association

34% want out right independence

No the poll I cite says

"Polling data showed that 32% of Quebecers believe that Quebec had enough sovereignty and should remain part of Canada, 28% thought they should separate, and 30% say they believe that Quebec does need greater sovereignty but should remain part of Canada."

Again it is how you ask the question.

Which means 62% want to stay in Canada with 28% wanting to leave and 20% not sure. We can assume as always those numbers break even so we get of decideds 78% for staying and 22% for going.

Edited by punked

Please tell me more about the intent of the letter that was sent in to set the record straight about PSAC support Bloc Candidates.

The intent of the letter was to suck and blow and the same time.

Tell me more about how they needed to the set record straight on a story that was correct.

The story was correct, I agree with you. PSAC endorsed a party in favour of ending Canada...a great worry for their membership...

The intent of the letter was to suck and blow and the same time.

The story was correct, I agree with you. PSAC endorsed a party in favour of ending Canada...a great worry for their membership...

Keep it up and maybe you will get your wish a new separatist movement. I can see you are cheering it on.

No the poll I cite says

"Polling data showed that 32% of Quebecers believe that Quebec had enough sovereignty and should remain part of Canada, 28% thought they should separate, and 30% say they believe that Quebec does need greater sovereignty but should remain part of Canada."

Which means 62% want to stay in Canada with 28% wanting to leave and 20% not sure. We can assume as always those numbers break even so we get of decideds 78% for staying and 22% for going.

Read it again

Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within a scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec?" support for separation increased to 40%

What the hell is this? This is not what I was asking for. Moreover, there is a figure in there, at 34% (hardest possible question) on whether Québec should separate or not, that you entirely decided to ignore. That % is more in touch with the actual base that always supports sovereignty, regardless of which way the wind blows.

You simply should not divide the answer into 3 possibilities. One of them is essentially federalism reform and it has shown to be an impossibility with both the failures of Meech and Charlottetown. What happened in the past in these cases of failure, is a swing from those that seek reform to suddenly support Québec sovereignty.

If there was a new referendum held today, the choice would be made between Québec sovereignty and status quo, not between Québec sovereignty, federalism reform and status quo. In a 2 choices polling, the Québécois do favour sovereignty by a 38-45% ratio.

Edited by Vineon

What the hell is this? This is not what I was asking for. Moreover, there is a figure in there, at 34% (hardest possible question) on whether Québec should separate or not, that you entirely decided to ignore. That % is more in touch with the actual base that always supports sovereignty, regardless of which way the wind blows.

What is it when you take out the undecideds?

What is it when you take out the undecideds?

The 'undecided' exist very much likely a whole lot more within the federalist %.

You do not vote for so deep a change if you are 'undecided', you stick with the status quo.

What is commonly heard amongst political analysts in Québec, is that the population is divided between a third that are staunch sovereignists, a third that are undying federalists and a remaining third more or less on the fence.

Edited by Vineon

If there was a new referendum held today, the choice would be made between Québec sovereignty and status quo, not between Québec sovereignty, federalism reform and status quo. In a 2 choices polling, the Québécois do favour sovereignty by a 38-45% ratio.

Given the history of referendum questions, there can be no definitive answer what the next question will be, other than it be worded to give the best result.

I would wager on a mandate to negotiate Sovereignty Association...

No the poll I cite says

First Nations have been waiting for Quebecers to seperate, so that they can start filling up banana boats, and ship them back to France where they come from.

Isn't Canada a bunch of seperatists, they seperated from Britian. How many times can immigrants serperate themselves.

you want a divided English and French Canada.

You are wrong and have a lot of nerve suggesting such a thing. And even if I did, which I vehemently deny, nothing I could do could even come close to the division the NDP is causing by having endorsed Turmel as their national interim leader. For once, admit that your beloved NDP screwed up, big time, and must be prepared to pay the price. I won't hold my breath.

You are wrong and have a lot of nerve suggesting such a thing. And even if I did, which I vehemently deny, nothing I could do could even come close to the division the NDP is causing by having endorsed Turmel as their national interim leader. For once, admit that your beloved NDP screwed up, big time, and must be prepared to pay the price. I won't hold my breath.

No you are the one who believes anyone who supported the Bloc can never be welcomed by English Canada. You and your party is sending the message to French Canada that over half of them in your eyes are not welcome in Federal politics. Seems like a poor way of Uniting the country and killing Separatism. Know what might be a better way? Welcoming the Federalist party who knocked the Separatism party out of parliament and its members as the true Federalist that they are.

No you are the one who believes anyone who supported the Bloc can never be welcomed by English Canada. You and your party is sending the message to French Canada that over half of them in your eyes are not welcome in Federal politics. Seems like a poor way of Uniting the country and killing Separatism. Know what might be a better way? Welcoming the Federalist party who knocked the Separatism party out of parliament and its members as the true Federalist that they are.

Well the day First Nations has a seat or multiple seats in Parliment, I will begin to take them serious. First Nations have no representation in any Canadian Parliment. They don't own any seats in Parliment in every level, from MPs to the senate. Everybody is politically appointed with political aspirations to take another chunk out of First Nations rights and Treatys. They are all the same, and have been for centurys.

Well the day First Nations has a seat or multiple seats in Parliment, I will begin to take them serious..

There are seven "first nations" in parliament.

Welcome to yesterdays news....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/record-number-of-aboriginal-mps-heading-to-ottawa/article2014726/

No you are the one who believes anyone who supported the Bloc can never be welcomed by English Canada.

Show me where I have ever put forward such a belief. You can't because I have never commented anywhere on MLW on such a subject. punked I think it's time you stopped this nonsense of ascribing views to other posters that are total fabrications of your imagination.

Welcoming the Federalist party who knocked the Separatism party out of parliament and its members as the true Federalist that they are.

The question is what will the NDP do with its new found, and unexpected, power in Quebec. I suggest to you the NDP is off to a poor start by elevating Turmel to interim leader. The woman even broke one of the NDP's rules that their members cannot belong to another political party.

The former union leader said in an interview with Rosemary Barton to air on Tuesday's Power & Politics that she doesn't support the Quebec sovereignty movement but acknowledged that she not only had a Bloc Québécois membership but one also with Québec Solidaire.

"It's not a federalist party but … at the same time they work on issues for Quebec families, in Quebec," the NDP MP for Hull-Aylmer said early Tuesday afternoon.

---

She told CBC News she thought she could have memberships in two parties. Holding more than one membership in a national party is contrary to the NDP's rules.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/08/02/pol-turmel-bloc-quebecois.html

Imagine that. She's not even aware of the NDP's rules and now she's leading the party. What the hell was Jack Layton thinking when he foisted her on the party? Of course, presently it would inappropriate to ask him to defend his action as he needs to concentrate on beating the cancer which afflicts him. In the meantime, the NDP and Turmel must be prepared to take their lumps. If the party is serious about building its brand in the ROC, the sooner the NDP replaces her as interim leader the better.