New leader of the NDP - A Sepratist?

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let's put it this way. Who cares if this is how things are done in Quebec or if the NDP is "soft" on separatism.

A woman like this could NEVER!!!! be the leader of the part this party going into an election.

I could just imagine the attack ads associated with this lady. Also it sounds like she has just about as good a command of English as one Stephane Dion.

So if Jack doesn't come back, the NDQ ERRRR NDP will have a very big battle on its hand trying to decide if they want to pander to it's large Quebec faction or try to expand beyond the 44 seats they have outside Lower Canada.

Edited by Boges

Again she wrote a letter and press release that could not have stated it any more clearly. She is a Federalist, she has always been a federalist and has said many many times that she thinks separation should not happen. She said it when she endorsed the Bloc, and she said it when she ran for the NDP.

STOP TRYING TO REWRITE HISTORY.

Again she wrote a letter and press release that could not have stated it any more clearly. She is a Federalist, she has always been a federalist and has said many many times that she thinks separation should not happen. She said it when she endorsed the Bloc, and she said it when she ran for the NDP.

Great she's a pragmatist that joins parties because they are more likely to be elected. Sounds more like a Liberal to me.

Try convincing John Q Voter that her Bloc past means nothing regarding how she views the rest of the country.

Are there many federalist members of the separatist party?

A woman like this could NEVER!!!! be the leader of the part this party going into an election.

In the meantime, she can do a ton of damage to the NDP's image. For example, at one of the first public events she attended she said:

"One of our party's positions is representing everybody, all Canadians, no matter where they come from and no matter who they are. They are all equal for us, so we wanted to make sure to show that we are there for them."

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/31/turmel-tries-to-keep-ndp-party-profile-high

Canadians are immune to that kind of empty rhetoric from politicians. They are not so gullible to think that if they hold a position that doesn't align with the NDP's that their views would be represented, whether the NDP is in opposition or in government.

I could just imagine the attack ads associated with this lady. Also it sounds like she has just about as good a command of English as one Stephane Dion.

I have been paying attention to her speaking English in public. I too am reminded of Dion's performance in that regard and I see similarities.

To recap:

Endorsed the BQ in 2006

Joined the BQ in 2006

Supported a Quebec Solidaire candidate in 2007

Do weed need more clarity?

Nope because her Endorsement of the BQ STATED she does not endorse Separatism you better go read it. Keep up though keep attacking Federalists, calling them separatist that is the best way to kill that movement. Seriously you guys keep daring Quebec and pushing them a way then crying when they get everything to keep them in the country. Sounds like a great conservative plan.

The Quebec people voted for the only party that actually Kicked Separatist out of their party because the party believes in Federalism and it still isn't enough for you guys. As long as they speak French you guys will hate them that is all you are proving.

Nope because her Endorsement of the BQ STATED she does not endorse Separatism you better go read it.

She was a member of the BQ for 5 years...

The Quebec people voted for the only party that actually Kicked Separatist out of their party because the party believes in Federalism and it still isn't enough for you guys.

What's the NPD's position on the clarity act again?

Joined the BQ in 2006

“Enclosed is my Bloc Québécois membership card, which I wish to cancel. I wish to state that my request has nothing to do with the party’s policies, I am doing this for personal reasons,” Ms. Turmel wrote.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-ndp-leader-was-long-time-member-of-bloc-qubcois/article2116721/

Turmel is no dummy. She was well aware of the Bloc's stated mission to work toward separation. I'm thinking she may not have supported the Bloc's separatist agenda but is in fact a deceptive person who will stoop to anything to suit her personal agenda.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-ndp-leader-was-long-time-member-of-bloc-qubcois/article2116721/

Turmel is no dummy. She was well aware of the Bloc's stated mission to work toward separation. I'm thinking she may not have supported the Bloc's separatist agenda but is in fact a deceptive person who will stoop to anything to suit her personal agenda.

No is claiming she didn't know the Bloc worked toward Separatism in fact in her 2006 endorsement she wrote it clearly states she knows the Bloc supports and she that is wrong. What part of that don't people get, no one claiming she didn't know she says as much in her writing. What I am saying is if you can say "The NDP is a Federalist party with Separatists in it" then why can you not have the reverse and if you can then Turmel is clearly in that category. Thus she is a Federalist and your guys problem is solved. If you can't then she is clearly a Federalist because she is in a Federalist party and your problem is solved.

Unless you are just trying to drag her through the mud and you don't care. You would rather rewrite history then know the truth. Which is fine it just makes you a bad person.

What I am saying is if you can say "The NDP is a Federalist party with Separatists in it" then why can you not have the reverse and if you can then Turmel is clearly in that category. Thus she is a Federalist and your guys problem is solved. If you can't then she is clearly a Federalist because she is in a Federalist party and your problem is solved.

No one is saying she can't do what she did. It's just the optics are pretty horrible.

If she didn't support separatism then why did she support the Bloc over the NDP, why did she run for the NDP and not the Bloc?

Go read her endorsement it is posted on this thread are to lazy? It is right there in black and white. There were plenty of Federalist that supported the Bloc in 2006 to stop Harper. The Bloc got 42.1% of the vote in 2006 while Sepratism was polling at 25%. You can all that 20% that voted Bloc but loves Canada separatist and keep calling them stupid and talking about how much you hate them or you can welcome that have finally found a Federalist party they can support. Maybe if we let them, and moved on we could actually stop with the whole movement and put those 50 years behind us and become a country again. I see you and Conservatives around here would rather have a divided country though. You would rather have a French Canada and English Canada then just one country because then maybe you can win some stupid seats in parliament. Which is fine, I would rather have a united country that works toward a way forward. That is just me.

She's the leader now of a federal party but it's obvious that she doesn't care much about other provinces. The Bloc were clear that they'd only support policies if they were good for Quebec, it didn't matter how other provinces faired. If you aren't a separatist and you agree all provinces are equal then how can you support the Bloc?

No one is saying she can't do what she did. It's just the optics are pretty horrible.

Don't care about the optics. I would rather have bad optics and have the whole Separatism movement die. Then great optics and a divided country. Guess that just must be the progressive in me because it appears Conservatives want so bad to have the Separatists back, that they are hoping they can turn a Federalist party into a Separatist one. It really is sad.