7 up in Quebecois is 7 UP + $12,000

Guest Peeves

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zealots such as Thibodeau only help to exacerbate the divide.

He won't get away with it on any other airline, A/C actually offers more bilingual service than any other airline and I think they are the only airline that has to doso, probably because they get gov't money. Strange though, 80% of Canada speaks English, yet 50% of AC's flight attendants speak French., how does that work, especially when he was actually served in French which I guess wasn't good enough for him.

Air Canada offers more bilingual service than any other airline. They are the only ones who have to comply with the Act.
Precisely.

----

But smallc, here's a thought for you.

Across Canada, we offer separate public (State) schools in French and English. In some provinces, our Constitution requires that we even offer schools according to religion: Catholic and Protestant.

We also offer separate (State and private) washrooms for women and men. If you go to a Tim Horton's, or a Revenue Canada office, there are separate washrooms for women and men.

But if you fly on Air Canada, men and women use the same washroom.

Separate but equal? Why are washrooms in Air Canada planes (and some Plateau coffeeshops) unisex but elsewhere they're not?

Edited by August1991

To cite one example, I have flown from Orlando to Montreal - on an American airline - and I was served in (admittedly accented, hesitant) French.

Why? I suspect the American airline knew its market.

Maybe. But I think it had more to do with the fact that this particular steward made quite a few trips back and forth between Montreal and Orlando and probably picked up a few words, or had a working knowledge. I find it difficult to believe that American Airlines go out of their way to hire French speaking stewards. From personal knowledge, finding qualified, French speaking personnel from the US is not an easy task.

Anyone that wants to succeed across Canada offers their good/service in both French and English.

----

The situation of Air Canada is different.

The quote said "airports" not "airlines". I have traveled to many US city airports, and the only airport where they had employees who could speak French, was in Washington DC. But DC is more of a multi-linguistic city than others based on all the embasies they have there. If you are ever there, sit and listen as people walk by at the Pentagon Shopping Center. You'll hear people speaking languages from around the world, including French.

Well smallc, I guess you have a small mind.

Think.

You're trying to say that Air Canada has advantages that others don't...except that isn't true. Air Canada has many disadvantages that other airlines don't, though.

Edited by Smallc

You're trying to say that Air Canada has advantages that others don't...except that isn't true. Air Canada has mand disadvantages that other airlines don't, though.

Uh no, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm wondering why toilets on airplanes are unisex but in most coffeshops (eg. Tim Horton's) they're not.

And I'm asking you to apply your conclusions to the question of educational language.

I'm wondering why toilets on airplanes are unisex but in most coffeshops (eg. Tim Horton's) they're not.

Because there isn't enough room on an airplane, perhaps? They're also single occupancy, where many restaurants and coffeeshops have multi occupancy restrooms. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure where you're going at all.

Edited by Smallc

Because there isn't enough room on an airplane, perhaps? They're also single occupancy, where many restaurants and coffeeshops have multi occupancy restrooms. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure where you're going at all.

When he gets like this, it's best to smile, nod, and back away slowly.

Uh no, that's not what I'm saying.

And I'm asking you to apply your conclusions to the question of educational language.

August, pass the doobie will ya? ;)

An airplane washroom probably costs in excess of a $100 grand, not to mention lost revenue from the seats being removed.

Tims cost $20,000, if that.

This case has more to do with someone taking advantage of legal loopholes instead of a French vs. English thing.

I don't believe so, WWWTT. The Official Languages Act is clear. It applies to Air Canada which must provide services in English and in French where numbers warrant.

The Act applies to federal institutions—that is to say, offices, Crown corporations and federal departments. In addition, certain organizations, such as Air Canada and VIA Rail, retained their language obligations after they were privatized.

http://www.ocol-clo.gc.ca/html/act_loi_e.php

As much as we may dislike the plaintiff or the fact that he was awarded compensation, Air Canada does have the responsibility to offer services, where numbers warrant. I'm actually quite relieved that he didn't receive more. If Air Canada keeps having to pay such lawsuits, it will become even more unaffordable to fly on Air Canada.

You're trying to say that Air Canada has advantages that others don't...except that isn't true. Air Canada has mand disadvantages that other airlines don't, though.

Too true. Among other things, Air Canada is required by law to abide by the OLA and maintain its headquarters in Montreal. Things that are not required of any of its Canadian competitors and perfect for turds like Thibodeau who are catered to by our spineless politicians and courts. While crudely put, Bojes has a point when he says this sort of thing doesn't endear French Canadians to the rest of the country and may have the effect of gaining Air Canada some sympathy outside of Quebec.

If Air Canada wants money from the Feds, it must ask and if granted must borrow it at market rates. It's a private company you know.

I don't believe so, WWWTT. The Official Languages Act is clear. It applies to Air Canada which must provide services in English and in French where numbers warrant.

http://www.ocol-clo.gc.ca/html/act_loi_e.php

As much as we may dislike the plaintiff or the fact that he was awarded compensation, Air Canada does have the responsibility to offer services, where numbers warrant. I'm actually quite relieved that he didn't receive more. If Air Canada keeps having to pay such lawsuits, it will become even more unaffordable to fly on Air Canada.

I agree with you. This award was entirely reasonable. Air Canada is supposed to supply French language services where appropriate. Even Air Canada agreed that French language service should have been available in this case.

Just to clear up the $12000 dollar reward thing;

$6000.00 was punitive damages the rest was to cover the complainants costs.

This wasn't about 7up or sprite.

edit to add: Federal Court of Canada Thibodeau vs Air Canada wich is a lot more usefull that some bullshit NP opinion piece.

Edited by Peter F

If Federal institutions are supposed to provide services in both Languages, then I could have sued for thousands when I first moved to Quebec City. It was extremely hard to find Federal employees in this city, who spoke English. Both at Revenue Canada, as well as Human Resources Canada. And I'm not talking being fluent. I'm talking about having even the slightest working knowledge of English. Some didn't even understand even basic English words. At Human Resources Canada, I was told I had to go to St. Foy for service in English. Thank goodness I speak French as well. But at the time, I was just learning French, and I found it easier to get my message across in English. At Revenue Canada, they had no one available to speak English at the time I went. I feel sorry for someone who has to deal with them and speaks no French at all.

Did anyone look further into this?

I would like to know what law was broken and what was the actual decision of the judge. Any ideas here? If AC was breaking the law, then boohoo for them. I don't feel the least bit bad that this person keeps suing them. What if there were francophones on the flight that just put up with subpar service because they don't want to be accused of being separatist scum?

Guest Peeves

Yes, the greedy and self-interested are surely inspired.

Government requires bilingual service.

Crown companies like Air Canada was a crown service. When it was privatized that requirement should have been dropped in the interest of fair competition. It was stipulated in the change as a continued requirement.

That is patently foolish and Thibidough is a greedy zealot who litigates for profit. If he was doing it for a cause, he would have donated the award to charity.

Guest Peeves

If it takes suing for having Air Canada fulfill its obligations, I can only support initiatives such as Mr Thibodeau's. Hopefully, he'll serve as an example and more will follow into his footsteps.

That is he bilingual or not is inconsequential.

Nonsense. His fluency in English proves Thibodough's motive is pettifoggery for profit, which he has done before.

Air Canada should NOT be required to provide any service not required by competitors. It is a PRIVATE Co., has been for years.

He's an example alright, one of the worst of a litigant society that is willing to incite discord between ctizens of our country for his own mercenary purpose.

Quebec's laws (language),deprive all but French of equal service and it's well past time to change the laws in the rest of our country.