Fed. Finance Minister

The following article deals with the Finance Minister and his ideas about reducing spenting by 4 Bil each year over a certain period. I'm not sure he can do it but more power if he can. The main questions are where and how will he get to his goal without doing damage to the government or Canadians lives? This minister also left Ontario with 5 billion debt. http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/06/07/lorne-gunter-flaherty%e2%80%99s-fairy-tale-budget/

The following article deals with the Finance Minister and his ideas about reducing spenting by 4 Bil each year over a certain period. I'm not sure he can do it but more power if he can. The main questions are where and how will he get to his goal without doing damage to the government or Canadians lives? This minister also left Ontario with 5 billion debt. http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/06/07/lorne-gunter-flaherty%e2%80%99s-fairy-tale-budget/

Nice month old article bro.

The entire article is complaining that there are no cuts in the budget when we've already witnessed the cuts commencing. Another useless Topaz Harper-bashing thread.

Nice month old article bro.

The entire article is complaining that there are no cuts in the budget when we've already witnessed the cuts commencing. Another useless Topaz Harper-bashing thread.

Except the "This minister also left Ontario with 5 billion debt" part which is years old now and still stands as an indicator of sorts.

More like a Flaherty bashing thread and I am all for that!

Ok another useless Harper Cabinet bashing thread.

So....just because those of us who have lived through his shitty ways while ONT FInance Minister we should be respectful and not criticize his shitty way while a Fed Minister?

Makes sense. Harper Cabinet could never smell like shit.

So....just because those of us who have lived through his shitty ways while ONT FInance Minister we should be respectful and not criticize his shitty way while a Fed Minister?

How about create a thread when he actually does something worth mentioning? Not write another editorial and then link to an outdated and irrelevant article?

Hey, you could always move to Alberta, things are much better there no matter who's in control of the nation's purse strings. Bring lots of Muskol.

Hey, you could always move to Alberta, things are much better there no matter who's in control of the nation's purse strings. Bring lots of Muskol.

I need Muskol here, worst bugs in decades.

Alta is robbing peter to pay paul, I will stay where I am thanks. Lots of family like living out there and wish I would visit but no time.

Wow. It's really impressive how Mr. Gunter manages to close that piece with an unsupported, gratuitous off-topic slam at the NDP.

By marginalizing rates under the inflation rate I think it is doable. The only catch is how much more spending in alternative programs like the "rollout" of f35 and navy programs. Part of the "secret" is that they are making payment periods over long time frames like 25 years (30 year bonds) etc.. so that their annual costs are "lower" but the total costs are higher. So it creates an illusion of lower spending, but in reality it is just deferred spending.

Its really a game of, make the other guy pay for it. Its invisible debt.

An article just released on this.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/markets/markets-blog/trouble-brewing-for-canadian-inflation/article2090006/

Right now though the US budget (it has to be ok right...) and another failure in the Eurozone.. could both impact Canada heavily.

Edited by William Ashley

According to PSAC and other civil service unions, every government program is underfunded all the time. No government is too big. Every civil service job is sacred; every civil servant overworked. Taxes are never too high. And there is never waste or bloat in the public sector.

Thanks for the month old article Topaz but I think that statement says it all.

Canadians have been getting wise to union shenanigans. The times are right for some realistic adjustments to public service contracts. Fortunately, Canada doesn't have to come anywhere near the drastic cuts that many US states are going through with their overentitled civil service. But holy moly - what's really wrong with not replacing some retiring workers? What's wrong with not getiing a raise for a year or two? What's wrong with making some adjustments to pensions for new employees to bring them somewhat more in line with private sector offerings? Government jobs will always be more secure than private sector jobs but I think most Canadians would agree that not every job should be guaranteed for life - especially for those who might not be very good at their job.

The time is right.....we're ready for the union cries of slashing, burning, blah, blah, blah.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Thanks for the month old article Topaz but I think that statement says it all.

Canadians have been getting wise to union shenanigans. The times are right for some realistic adjustments to public service contracts. Fortunately, Canada doesn't have to come anywhere near the drastic cuts that many US states are going through with their overentitled civil service. But holy moly - what's really wrong with not replacing some retiring workers? What's wrong with not getiing a raise for a year or two? What's wrong with making some adjustments to pensions for new employees to bring them somewhat more in line with private sector offerings? Government jobs will always be more secure than private sector jobs but I think most Canadians would agree that not every job should be guaranteed for life - especially for those who might not be very good at their job.

The time is right.....we're ready for the union cries of slashing, burning, blah, blah, blah.

Well for one, you are making a bit of a false literary argument in that you are basing your opinion on a rhetorical response to rhetoric.

Of course there is nothing wrong with attrition, something the federal government will use to handle the cutbacks and I think wage increases in contracts arelower than the inflation rate.

The point is that you quoted someone who is responding to union rhetoric as some sort of measurement of truth. It isn't and almost never is. Kind of like quick-fix weight loss adverts on TV.

Edited by Shwa

Well for one, you are making a bit of a false literary argument in that you are basing your opinion on a rhetorical response to rhetoric.

You lost me there. I said what I said....period....and you can agree or disagree: