Vive le Québec ! Vive le Québec Libre !

Why are Quebec songsters all old guys that sound and look the same. Their voices remind me of aging Italian pop heros who all have the tone of a gravel truck with a transmission problem.

Names? Perhaps Paul Piché, Richard Séguin or Claude Dubois? Hmm gravel truck with transmission problems.. perhaps Plume Latraverse or Robert Charlebois? I'm trying to figure out who you believe to be the archetype of the Québec songster. I'd enjoy a name.

Perhaps it simply has to do with your inability to keep up with the new trends? Should I still think of The Guess Who when any allusion is made to English Canadian music or should I try to look a bit beyond what has been done since, say, I don't know, the 80s?

I'll just assume you have no understanding of either the Québec cultural scene, nor the Italian one.

Names? Perhaps Paul Piché, Richard Séguin or Claude Dubois? Hmm gravel truck with transmission problems.. perhaps Plume Latraverse or Robert Charlebois? I'm trying to figure out who you believe to be the archetype of the Québec songster. I'd enjoy a name.

Perhaps it simply has to do with your inability to keep up with the new trends? Should I still think of The Guess Who when any allusion is made to English Canadian music or should I try to look a bit beyond what has been done since, say, I don't know, the 80s?

I'll just assume you have no understanding of either the Québec cultural scene, nor the Italian one.

Go with The Tragically Hip...

• 2 weeks later...

Cool video. I have no strong opinion whether quebec should or should not separate. What interests me about this province is how beholden the young are to the ideas of the old, established elite. The real liberation of quebec would be for the new generation to set their own course and think original thoughts.

Cool video. I have no strong opinion whether quebec should or should not separate. What interests me about this province is how beholden the young are to the ideas of the old, established elite. The real liberation of quebec would be for the new generation to set their own course and think original thoughts.

And because this music piece is titled 'Vive le Québec libre', I feel obligated to ask if the Québec sovereignty project is one of those 'unoriginal thoughts' you had in mind. If so, perhaps the "real liberation of quebec", as you say, can only become reality once the idea is deemed entirely outdated... and dropped?

And because this music piece is titled 'Vive le Québec libre', I feel obligated to ask if the Québec sovereignty project is one of those 'unoriginal thoughts' you had in mind. If so, perhaps the "real liberation of quebec", as you say, can only become reality once the idea is deemed entirely outdated... and dropped?

Part of the reason why sovereignty is losing ground is because Quebec has undergone a second quiet revolution, away from ethnic nationalism and toward pragmatism. The economy here is diverse and sophisticated - biotech, aerospace, a self-sustaining cultural-sector, hydro-electricity, etc. Certainly, anglophones and allophones are treated with increasing respect and have a more substantial position in the collective psyche than even a decade ago. Also, concessions from the feds have essentially already seated quebec with quasi-nation status. Most people are happy with the new status quo.

The old timers with their foot-stomping jig music are lost in nostalgia, but they do have a following amongst the youth, I suspect because quebec nationalism is a cocktail of pride and rebellion. Kids love that shit.

Edited by dizzy

You can reduce any political state to its geography. Political borders are arbitrary in a sense, sometimes following formations such as rivers and mountains, other times not. Sometimes the boundaries divide different cultural settlements, again other times they don't. One thing is for certain though, the vast majority of state and especially Canada are nothing more than an arbitrary construct. Nationalism and some unified vision of Canada is, including our symbols, are even more arbitrary. That too means that Quebec's nationalism is an arbitrary construct. Its political boundaries do not exist around geographical or sociocultural formations. Its symbols and identity is constructed through its government and media just the same. Even the idea of self-government for Quebec is difficult because that idea of what "self" is has been constructed. Do Quebeckers include the Anglophones, First Nations and Allophones? Are they included in the "self" of Quebecois self-government and sovereignty? What division do they want if not the arbitrary geopolitical one already created and whose Quebec is it in that case?

In other words, I don't even think Quebec knows what Quebec wants.

Eh ben! I couldn`t have said it better, thank you for your insite on who we really are. Did the rest of canada notice how the quebecois can suddenly change the political landscape and how powerful our right to vote can be.The last election has brought back faithe in the fact that no political party is eternal and things will change. We now need to find something that will unify us. Le quebec est déja libre à l`intérieur d`une grande nation le canada libre.

Where I will admit that I don't know first hand how Quebec feels. But I have noticed that separatism seems to be something that most provinces try now and again. It may very well be something that is used for a long time in Canadian politics. I know not all acts have been in the same light as what has happened in Quebec in the past but they have the same idea. With the West in the 1980's and from my understanding in Newfoundland after a disagreement with Harper the Premiere had all the Canadian flags from Provincial Government buildings in 2006.

So perhaps this is may be something that is just a natural part of Canadian political culture.

That too means that Quebec's nationalism is an arbitrary construct. Its political boundaries do not exist around geographical or sociocultural formations. Its symbols and identity is constructed through its government and media just the same. Even the idea of self-government for Quebec is difficult because that idea of what "self" is has been constructed. Do Quebeckers include the Anglophones, First Nations and Allophones? Are they included in the "self" of Quebecois self-government and sovereignty? What division do they want if not the arbitrary geopolitical one already created and whose Quebec is it in that case?

In other words, I don't even think Quebec knows what Quebec wants.

Québec's nationalism is rooted in the french language, which isn't an 'arbitrary construct'. While I'll instantly agree there are french Canadians outside Québec, the large majority of them happen to live there. It is extremely clear to me that borders between say Manitoba and Saskatchewan are infinitely more 'arbitrary constructions' than borders separating Québec from its neighbours.

I aknowledge there are anglophones, First Nations and allophones but associating Quebec nationalism, which derives from the french fact, with the Québec territory isn't all that odd. French does more or less stop on the Outaouais river, French certainly doesn't it make it far into American territory. Out east, French turns to Chiac in Acadia, a people which has considered itself distinct from the Québec French since the freaking dawn of this continent. I would say Québec is easily in fact very socioculturally shaped, certainly more so than any other province, at the very least. If there is one arbitrary construct, it is the north.

Where I will admit that I don't know first hand how Quebec feels. But I have noticed that separatism seems to be something that most provinces try now and again. It may very well be something that is used for a long time in Canadian politics. I know not all acts have been in the same light as what has happened in Quebec in the past but they have the same idea. With the West in the 1980's and from my understanding in Newfoundland after a disagreement with Harper the Premiere had all the Canadian flags from Provincial Government buildings in 2006.

So perhaps this is may be something that is just a natural part of Canadian political culture.

I think it ridiculous to compare Québec sovereignism with secession threats from extremely marginal groups in other provinces. No province has 'tried' anything quite like (or anything even remotely close to) what Québec has under actually elected secessionist governments.

You don't know me well enough to say I don't keep up to "trends" _ I played and wrote music all my life - presently I reside with my son who is 21 - he has a recording facility in the house - He is a cutting edge artist in his own right _ I am exposed to him and his circle of musical friends - who are all young people who understand and play all sorts of music _ I was just joking about the Quebec singers - what I did notice when I watch them on TV is that they have all aged..that was my point.

It is extremely clear to me that borders between say Manitoba and Saskatchewan are infinitely more 'arbitrary constructions' than borders separating Québec from its neighbours.

I don't see how the borders are entirely defined by use of the French language. Much of nothern Quebec doesn't even speak French. And, for some reason, the Quebec government still considers Labrador to be a part of Quebec, when, as far as I know, French is a minority language there.

I don't see how the borders are entirely defined by use of the French language. Much of nothern Quebec doesn't even speak French. And, for some reason, the Quebec government still considers Labrador to be a part of Quebec, when, as far as I know, French is a minority language there.

Quite right. Most of Quebec up to 1912 was either part of the NWT or the district of Ungava.

And if Canada can be divided, so can Quebec. I fail to see how, if the peoples of Ungava (read first nations) wanted to separate from Quebec, how Quebec could stop them.

I don't like this kind of music, and I hate the idea of reducing a complex argument to a simple music video.

But in many ways, Canada is not a country. It is a geographic term, like the equator.

I do like this kind of music. I am particular to all music done well that is rooted in the scottish/irish traditions, even if it is in french.

I haven't really been exposed much to the Quebec music scene since I left back in the 80s...but back then I was partial to Beau Dommage, Harmonium....and later, even Mitsou!

Today I only know of a couple of indie montreal bands....The Hangers and Trip The Off.

Here's a couple that also lean heavily on the Scottish/Irish tradition...only in English

Not so different from your videos

...Canada, not so much a country, it's a living tradition

I think it ridiculous to compare Québec sovereignism with secession threats from extremely marginal groups in other provinces. No province has 'tried' anything quite like (or anything even remotely close to) what Québec has under actually elected secessionist governments.

Yes, the ghetto act of 1774 ensured a unique experience in Québec relative to the ROC. Please feel free to initiate another referendum on sovereignty. I'll be sure to vote no along with the majority, not because I don't think quebecers aren't unique but because I don't think them mature enough to govern themselves as a nation and because I think ethnic nationalism is a tired old idea in 2011.

NFLD voted to not join Canada. Then on the re vote they only voted to join by 1% of the vote. Cape Breton has tried to separate from NS twice.

I do like this kind of music. I am particular to all music done well that is rooted in the scottish/irish traditions, even if it is in french.

I haven't really been exposed much to the Quebec music scene since I left back in the 80s...but back then I was partial to Beau Dommage, Harmonium....and later, even Mitsou!

Today I only know of a couple of indie montreal bands....The Hangers and Trip The Off.

Here's a couple that also lean heavily on the Scottish/Irish tradition...only in English

Not so different from your videos

...Canada, not so much a country, it's a living tradition

Mitsou???

"Bye Bye Mon Cowboy"???

Seriously??

Québec's nationalism is rooted in the french language, which isn't an 'arbitrary construct'. While I'll instantly agree there are french Canadians outside Québec, the large majority of them happen to live there. It is extremely clear to me that borders between say Manitoba and Saskatchewan are infinitely more 'arbitrary constructions' than borders separating Québec from its neighbours.

I aknowledge there are anglophones, First Nations and allophones but associating Quebec nationalism, which derives from the french fact, with the Québec territory isn't all that odd. French does more or less stop on the Outaouais river, French certainly doesn't it make it far into American territory. Out east, French turns to Chiac in Acadia, a people which has considered itself distinct from the Québec French since the freaking dawn of this continent. I would say Québec is easily in fact very socioculturally shaped, certainly more so than any other province, at the very least. If there is one arbitrary construct, it is the north.

Have you ever been to New Brunswick or Timmins, ON? Believe me, it's all arbitrary. While Chiac may be considered a distinct language by many, it's mostly confined to Moncton/Shediac region. Northern New Brunswick (Edmunston region) is French-proper.

In any case, I absolutely agree that the Quebecois have a different culture, even than the Acadians, and I'm willing to humour the idea of self-realization. Part of my purpose in that post was to defend Quebec's claim to their political borders, regardless of others living within them (ie. anglophones, allophones, first nations).

And I didn't say they were "entirely" defined by the french language but I certainly did imply that they are less arbitrarely drawn than some other provinces'.

Yes, the Nunavik is certainly an exception and I did note that. French is also a minority language there as well, for the record, and Québec still considers it part of its territory. Besides, is english even the most spoken language in Labrador?

Have you ever been to New Brunswick or Timmins, ON?

No I've never been to Timmins, nor Sudbury, nor St-Boniface or where any small pocket of french still subsists in Ontario and western Canada. There are also still some Germans in Alsace-Lorraine and in western Belgium. What this all doesn't change, is that the border from Québec to Ontario is probably the least "arbitrarely drawn" border in Canada regardless of small pockets of french west of it and small pockets of english east of it.

Edited by Vineon