Is Harper going after the unions?

Is that the same right that allows uneducated, unskilled employees of essential public services and crown corporations to shake tax payers down for salaries and benefits they'd never get in the private sector?

There are no "uneducated, unskilled employees" in essential public services or crown corporations.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no "uneducated, unskilled employees" in essential public services or crown corporations.

Let me rephrase. Instead of "uneducated, unskilled", I'll say, "high-school educated, and skilled at walking around and dropping pieces of paper in boxes."

Actually, I think my first statement was bang-on.

Let me rephrase. Instead of "uneducated, unskilled", I'll say, "high-school educated, and skilled at walking around and dropping pieces of paper in boxes."

Actually, I think my first statement was bang-on.

So really, instead of "public services and crown corporations" you are only referring to Canada Post. Because in the list of other Crown Corporations, I am certain that there are different skillsets required. For example, the Royal Canadian Mint. They might have someone walking around and dropping pieces of paper in boxes, but they might also have very technical and specialized skills required to mint money.

and those educated, technically skilled and valuable employees will be well paid because they'll go work elsewhere if the Crown Corporation does not pay them sufficiently. They don't rely on the farcical tool of collective bargaining to hold the taxpayers ransom for wages and benefits they'd never receive in the private sector.

I have no problem paying, as an example, a CA or CFA or something at Canada Revenue the salaries/benefits they'd get in the private sector. I do, however, have a problem with overpaying a bunch of dummies with legs to walk around and drop our mail off.

It's monkey work. Anyone with two legs and the ability to read can be a Canada Post worker. Some of them need to be able to drive a truck of course, but that's not exactly deeply technical stuff. Why should they earn an above average, or even average, salary, when there are more skilled workers earning less?

The benefits and pensions of these workers are also FAR beyond that of a private sector worker with similar skills and abilities.

and I'd hardly claim that someone making less than 50k a year is being grossly overpaid.

:lol:

You're so out of touch with reality. Yes almost 50k + a defined benefit pension is grossly overpaid for the type of work most post office workers do. That's significantly higher than the median income in Canada. Do you really think the mailmen and cashiers that run the post office possess any unique skills that have earned them an above average salary (even ignoring the pension plan)?

These are jobs that should be paying min wage to $12/hr and the only benefits they should have is free postage. :lol:

It's time for Canada to stop subsidizing the lucky freeloaders who managed to snag a public union job. These people have no right to demand taxpayer money to subsidize participating in a "strong middle class" while workers with similar skillsets and knowledge (or lack thereof) are working for 1/3 to 1/4 the total compensation at Wal-Mart and Tim Horton's.

All this union whining reminds me of the people who rented lakeside mansions from TCHC for less than 50% of market rent for 30 years. When the city of Toronto decided to sell these million dollar homes to invest in more efficient community housing, these greedy freeloaders started whining that the government was stealing their homes. :lol:

Edited by CPCFTW

Says an anonymous moron on a messageboard. I am sure the postal workers would love to dictate what you make too.

The market dictates what I make... unlike postal workers. :lol:

The market dictates 10-12$/hr for cashiers.

20-35k salary for Fedex delivery drivers. I wonder if they get a DB pension with that... :lol:

http://fedexcanadaeng.hire.com/viewjob.html?optlink-view=view-80316&ERFormID=newjoblist&ERFormCode=any

Package handler: "Competitive wages with scheduled pay increases ($12.65/hr- $13.65/hr)"

http://fedexcanadaeng.hire.com/viewjob.html?optlink-view=view-79150&ERFormID=newjoblist&ERFormCode=any

Evil Oppressive Management: 35-50k (likely with no pension.. certainly not DB)

http://fedexcanadaeng.hire.com/viewjob.html?optlink-view=view-80355&ERFormID=newjoblist&ERFormCode=any

Edited by CPCFTW

He makes a rational statement and you blather on?

Even if I was blathering his statement is not rational. There is no fantasy land in which the market did not already have a hand in determining what postal workers make, and any suggestion to the contrary is just ignorant of reality.

Even if I was blathering his statement is not rational. There is no fantasy land in which the market did not already have a hand in determining what postal workers make, and any suggestion to the contrary is just ignorant of reality.

I posted links of what the market dictates postal workers should make. Keep blathering. :lol:

Edited by CPCFTW

Translation: I am a special flower who deserves every penny I make even though no one else does.

Pathetic.

Translation: I'm going to keep resorting to insults because I can't form a coherent, rational argument and I think I'm smarter than all the "morons" who haven't taken 1st year sociology and philosophy undergrad courses like me.

Typical.

Edited by CPCFTW

and those educated, technically skilled and valuable employees will be well paid because they'll go work elsewhere if the Crown Corporation does not pay them sufficiently. They don't rely on the farcical tool of collective bargaining to hold the taxpayers ransom for wages and benefits they'd never receive in the private sector.

I have no problem paying, as an example, a CA or CFA or something at Canada Revenue the salaries/benefits they'd get in the private sector. I do, however, have a problem with overpaying a bunch of dummies with legs to walk around and drop our mail off.

Collective bargaining is "farcical"?

The market dictates what I make... unlike postal workers. :lol:

The market dictates 10-12$/hr for cashiers.

20-35k salary for Fedex delivery drivers. I wonder if they get a DB pension with that... :lol:

http://fedexcanadaeng.hire.com/viewjob.html?optlink-view=view-80316&ERFormID=newjoblist&ERFormCode=any

Package handler: "Competitive wages with scheduled pay increases ($12.65/hr- $13.65/hr)"

http://fedexcanadaeng.hire.com/viewjob.html?optlink-view=view-79150&ERFormID=newjoblist&ERFormCode=any

Evil Oppressive Management: 35-50k (likely with no pension.. certainly not DB)

http://fedexcanadaeng.hire.com/viewjob.html?optlink-view=view-80355&ERFormID=newjoblist&ERFormCode=any

Sucks to be a stupid free marketeer...

Maybe you should stop worrying about your philosophical and sociological shortcomings and start thinking about your shoddy understanding of economics.

Maybe you should save this comment for a thread about economics where anyone is even talking about economics. Once you find that thread, you can go ahead and tell me how Professor Layton told you that paying paperboys 50k/yr with a DB pension is good economics because it creates a "strong middle-class" (by creating a lower class out of better educated private sector workers).

Thank you for supporting my point.

Hahaha all the mini Jacks think they're experts on economics now that they've listened to a few Layton quips. How cute. :lol:

Feel free to offer your educational background in economics Professor Union. :lol:

Edited by CPCFTW

:lol:

You're so out of touch with reality. Yes almost 50k + a defined benefit pension is grossly overpaid for the type of work most post office workers do. That's significantly higher than the median income in Canada. Do you really think the mailmen and cashiers that run the post office possess any unique skills that have earned them an above average salary (even ignoring the pension plan)?

Median income in Canada is 58K, good to see you can't even research basic facts.

These are jobs that should be paying min wage to $12/hr and the only benefits they should have is free postage.

Who the fuck is going to be a postie for 20K a year? Yeah let me head on out into some minus 40 weather to scrape in 12 bucks an hour.

It's time for Canada to stop subsidizing the lucky freeloaders who managed to snag a public union job. These people have no right to demand taxpayer money to subsidize participating in a "strong middle class" while workers with similar skillsets and knowledge (or lack thereof) are working for 1/3 to 1/4 the total compensation at Wal-Mart and Tim Horton's.

The fact that you would compare a letter carriers job to that of a cashier shows how laughably stupid your argument is.