NAFTA is awesome!

So after finishing grad school in the US, I needed to get some kind of visa to let me work in the US. Well, I've read tons of horror stories of people trying to get H1-B visas, green cards, etc. Fortunately for me, being a Canadian, I get to benefit from NAFTA. All I had to do was drive to the border crossing, walk into the little office they have there, show my job offer letter, and five minutes later, boom, authorized to work and live in the US.

Anyone who talks about NAFTA being a bad deal or whatever, lemme tell you, that kind of ease of movement for an individual far outweighs anything else.

Yep....that would be a "TN1" work visa...quite flexible as long as a sponsor is available. And more than enough time to seek permanent residence if desired. My old project manager from Winnipeg did just that, but would scamper back across the border every six months to preserve his "free" Canadian health care!

Or he can marrying an American?

Marrying an American abroad will still require a six to nine month processing period to get that coveted "green card". There is a K-1 "marriage visa" specifically intended for this circumstance, but the marriage must take place within 90 days of landing as an immigrant. The US will deny entry to anyone suspected of manipulating the visa process without real immigration intent. It ain't like Canada and Lebanon! ;)

Marrying an American abroad will still require a six to nine month processing period to get that coveted "green card". There is a K-1 "marriage visa" specifically intended for this circumstance, but the marriage must take place within 90 days of landing as an immigrant. The US will deny entry to anyone suspected of manipulating the visa process without real immigration intent. It ain't like Canada and Lebanon! ;)

Didn`t they say they were Canadian, that what I thought.

Didn`t they say they were Canadian, that what I thought.

Doesn't matter if they are Canadian or not. A K-1 marriage visa request is filed by the US citizen fiance` on behalf of the immigrant. If USCIS approves the package, then a US consulate can issue the visa. Lots of detail here for the Canadian citizen or landed immigrant to the USA:

http://www.visapro.com/Immigration-Articles/?a=463&z=36

PS. No, I will not marry you! ;)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Yep....that would be a "TN1" work visa...quite flexible as long as a sponsor is available. And more than enough time to seek permanent residence if desired. My old project manager from Winnipeg did just that, but would scamper back across the border every six months to preserve his "free" Canadian health care!

Interesting, In BC you have to reside in the province for more than 180 days per year to be eligible for health care.

Interesting, In BC you have to reside in the province for more than 180 days per year to be eligible for health care.

This is true for Manitoba as well (six months physical residence), but I think he went back every six months to an address that would not be otherwise challenged. There must be a sneaky way to keep eligibility alive as long as he was in country before the six month period expires based on border crossings.

This is true for Manitoba as well (six months physical residence), but I think he went back every six months to an address that would not be otherwise challenged. There must be a sneaky way to keep eligibility alive as long as he was in country before the six month period expires based on border crossings.

There are probably ways of staying under the radar but he better not raise any flags.

There are probably ways of staying under the radar but he better not raise any flags.

Right you are....and he was very aware of that risk. But he felt entitled to the health care services and resented the idea that just because he was working in the US he would lose provincial benefits. After all, he did "pay into" the system for most of his working life. It's almost as if relinquishing the health care meant partially giving up on being Canadian.

Meanwhile, the Indian and Pakistani guys on our project team were trying to figure out how to avoid paying US payroll taxes for benefits they would never receive (e.g. Social Security & Medicare).

Right you are....and he was very aware of that risk. But he felt entitled to the health care services and resented the idea that just because he was working in the US he would lose provincial benefits. After all, he did "pay into" the system for most of his working life. It's almost as if relinquishing the health care meant partially giving up on being Canadian.

Meanwhile, the Indian and Pakistani guys on our project team were trying to figure out how to avoid paying US payroll taxes for benefits they would never receive (e.g. Social Security & Medicare).

I know exactly where your Indian and Pakistani guys are comming from, I paid into Social Security for few years when I was working in Alaska and will never see a cent. :(

I know exactly where your Indian and Pakistani guys are comming from, I paid into Social Security for few years when I was working in Alaska and will never see a cent. :(

Well the good news is that Canada, of all countries, probably has a good "Totalization Agreement" for your domestic program, and your account should be credited, as described here:

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/canada.html

Anyone who talks about NAFTA being a bad deal or whatever, lemme tell you, that kind of ease of movement for an individual far outweighs anything else.
Precisely. As cynical as I am of government, I can say in all honesty that your comment now was part of the negotiation then.

Precisely. As cynical as I am of government, I can say in all honesty that your comment now was part of the negotiation then.

That ain't no joke....other nationals traveling home on holiday or family emergency have no guarantee of border entry upon return, especially when home = Pakistan! It was far easier for them to go to/from Canada, then on to the USA.

That ain't no joke....other nationals traveling home on holiday or family emergency have no guarantee of border entry upon return, especially when home = Pakistan! It was far easier for them to go to/from Canada, then on to the USA.

That's cos we are soooo NICE - and YOU are so secretive that you know all along where Bin Laden was but the political fruit was not ripe enough to pick. ......Nafa ruined my career as a toil bowl shruber - now people come up from the south - and steal my job...not to mention the collapse of my toilet plunger buisness!

That's cos we are soooo NICE - and YOU are so secretive that you know all along where Bin Laden was but the political fruit was not ripe enough to pick. ......Nafa ruined my career as a toil bowl shruber

Can't quite figure out what a "shruber" is. The only reference I can see to a similar word is this:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Shrubber

What were you doing to the toilet bowls again?

BC, the 911 guys did not come from Canada.

NAFTA simply makes it easier for ordinary people to enjoy life. The OP makes that plain.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. For one, I wouldn't want to have to drive 3 hours up to Vancouver just to get health care. Secondly, if one is gainfully employed in the US, they probably have health coverage through their employer anyway.

Well, I didn't have to pay any of those while on F1 status. Under TN status I do have to pay those. Fortunately my F1-OPT/STEM thing should be approved soon and then I get another 2.5 years of not paying into them. I've also read that if you (as a Canadian citizen) file all the appropriate forms, years worked in the US paying into social security will count for Canadian CPP/OAS if you move back to Canada.

Edited by Bonam

I've also read that if you (as a Canadian citizen) file all the appropriate forms, years worked in the US paying into social security will count for Canadian CPP/OAS if you move back to Canada.
That's the key point. US social security is more generous than the CPP but you'll only receive CPP and I think everyone is entitled to OAS (assuming residency requirements are met).