The bravest person in Canada

Aah, the "Stop Harper" sign.

Mighty stupid of her. Little moron forgot Canada has free elections.

If she carried sign "Stop Chretien" while he was PM he would just grab her by the neck and choke her. And then he would order to pepper spray her.

She's lucky the PM is Harper.

Edited by Saipan

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right to free speech isn't subject to your employer's permission.
Actually it is. Employment case law makes it very clear that employeers have a right to decide what speech takes place on their premises and employees can even be fired with cause for bad mouthing the boss on twitter or facebook.

I doubt trying to embarrass the tories will be a detriment to her prospects there.

Not at all. There's lot of money around. Even for televangeliests, Greenpiss, Sky-is-falling-give-Gore-more-money, etc..... and no shortage of donors to anythng.

And why stop at just the page uniforms? ALL Parliamentary staff should have some form of sponsorship going. Heck, the Speaker could wear a Walmart greeters bib, you know, imagine the coin that could be brought in doing this! Heck even the MP's could be wearing sponsored corporate wear. SO the coproration buys the rights to when an MP appears on TV, like, "MP from Ottawa Centre, brought to you by Frankenfurters" or "The Right Honourable Potash Corp, MP from Saskatoon."

If this idea is played out right, we could erase the debt in no time!

i like this idea. MP's looking like Nascar drivers, even ads hanging off Parliament Hill. Or "remember to vote in the BMO Bank of Montreal 2011 federal election!". Easy money.

Actually, if you want to get technical, she did break the law. Her actions constitute contempt of parliament, and she could be arrested for it.

You could make a case for that. But only a case, it would have to tried in court of course. Can you disrupt Parliament by simply standing somewhere silently holding a sign? The throne speech was never actually interrupted.

Her Arab Spring comments were pretty dumb.

Actually for there to be any signifigant real change in this country there would have to be continuos,relentless and unfortunetly possibly violent protests in this country involving many.In the end we it would have to be something very similar to what has happened in some arab nations in the last few months.

So that comment she made is in my opinion not far from reality.

Judging from the views of some here any protest made against the current government would be labelled as bad and unjust even if the end result will benefit Canada and her citizens.

WWWTT

Aah, the "Stop Harper" sign.

Mighty stupid of her. Little moron forgot Canada has free elections.

If she carried sign "Stop Chretien" while he was PM he would just grab her by the neck and choke her. And then he would order to pepper spray her.

She's lucky the PM is Harper.

Ya thats right Canada has "free elections"

I live in the riding of Brampton West,the most populous riding in Canada.PEI has about the same population and has four representatives!

Ya thats real free or fair.

The system is fixed to benefit a few privilaged and if you get out of line your a criminal and condemned as an enemy of the state.

This country needs more people like Bridgette DePape and less people who always say "yes sir no sir".

WWWTT

I live in the riding of Brampton West,the most populous riding in Canada.PEI has about the same population and has four representatives!

The system is fixed to benefit a few privilaged and if you get out of line your a criminal and condemned as an enemy of the state.

This country needs more people like Bridgette DePape and less people who always say "yes sir no sir".

WWWTT

Do you see any distinction between this issue of riding distribution and the situation in Libya or Syria? The people who are actually trying to tackle issues like electoral reform are not being condemned as enemies of the state. Nor are they simply holding up signs that say "Stop Harper!" while they're at work.

Actually for there to be any signifigant real change in this country there would have to be continuos,relentless and unfortunetly possibly violent protests in this country involving many.In the end we it would have to be something very similar to what has happened in some arab nations in the last few months.

Yes, that is what we need. Sharia law, and Islamic dictatorship. And if we can't get that then at least Communist dictatorship :)

So that comment she made is in my opinion not far from reality.

Yes, kids know best.

Judging from the views of some here any protest made against the current government would be labelled as bad and unjust even if the end result will benefit Canada and her citizens.

WWWTT

Protest against democraticaly elected government is a protest against democracy.

One thing to protest against specific law or bill, and another against the very government. But that simple rule doesn't stop extremists of ALL stripes.

Do you see any distinction between this issue of riding distribution and the situation in Libya or Syria? The people who are actually trying to tackle issues like electoral reform are not being condemned as enemies of the state. Nor are they simply holding up signs that say "Stop Harper!" while they're at work.

That's one evil laugh at another evil.

Yes, you have a vote, but you still have to pay HST even if it is against most people's wish.

The system is fixed to benefit a few privilaged

Yes, them friggin' spud growers are so priviledged it's not even nice.

Of course we can push for American style elections. Different, and also democratic. So what was exactly your peeve?

Yes, you have a vote, but you still have to pay HST even if it is against most people's wish.

Who'd really want to even pay taxes?

As for people's wish. Check how many spend FAR more on 6/49 and other ridiculous gambling :D

sez you and all of the others around here who don't really give a shit about what Harper and his cronies are doing to democracy. Sure he's a bastard - but he's your bastard, right?

Excuse me?

Stephen Harper is the last person in Parliament I support. Her comments seemed stupid on their own merits; however, after talking to some people about, I've changed my mind. The recent protests were peaceful demonstrations where people died for their beliefs because despotic leaders openly attacked them for organizing. Harper is not a despotic leader, so it's merely in bad taste to compare our government to those tyrannies. Nevertheless, she's right to call upon everyone to stand up for what they believe in, considering the majority of Canadians agree with what she said about corporate tax, military expansion and the environment (The LPC, NDP, GRN and BQ all are very close on these topics). In that sense, perhaps an Arab Spring is an appropriate comparison. Maybe people need to get out into the streets and demonstrate peacefully against the policies they disagree with.

If you are saying that I am not being clear I agree.

Riding distribution does contribute to unfair representation in Canada,and that is a fact because the numbers do not lie.

Rep by pop and area rep are only a small part of the status quo picture.

The history of Canada has many examples of necessary signifigant change being ushered in only after protest,legal action or war.

Many Canadians have become lazy and too dependant on only our election system to solve every problem that may come along.

Actually a good cross analogy would be a late nineteenth century flim flam peddler selling a cure all snake oil remedy.

"Buy the Canadian democracy and all your pains and ailments will disapear and you'll feel like a new citizen"

There are many hypocrites here who say young people or many people do not get active in our political system.But when they do but do not like there message or direction they quickly denounce them and marginalize their intelligence.

WWWTT

Excuse me?

Stephen Harper is the last person in Parliament I support. Her comments seemed stupid on their own merits; however, after talking to some people about, I've changed my mind. The recent protests were peaceful demonstrations where people died for their beliefs because despotic leaders openly attacked them for organizing. Harper is not a despotic leader, so it's merely in bad taste to compare our government to those tyrannies. Nevertheless, she's right to call upon everyone to stand up for what they believe in, considering the majority of Canadians agree with what she said about corporate tax, military expansion and the environment (The LPC, NDP, GRN and BQ all are very close on these topics). In that sense, perhaps an Arab Spring is an appropriate comparison. Maybe people need to get out into the streets and demonstrate peacefully against the policies they disagree with.

Yeah ... And maybe a thousand of them will be arrested and/or beaten up without reason like in Toronto last year.

Think maybe Harper had something to do with that?

Protest against democraticaly elected government is a protest against democracy.

One thing to protest against specific law or bill, and another against the very government. But that simple rule doesn't stop extremists of ALL stripes.

That sounds like a comment that an "all knowing" dictator would make

WWWTT

Maybe people need to get out into the streets and demonstrate peacefully against the policies they disagree with.
Except the vast majority of people are not that bothered by the policies. They may not support them when asked in a poll but they are not big issues for them. The people who actually care about these issues enough to protest are a minority.

The Liberals themselves didn't seem that bothered about the corporate tax cuts, considering that they voted for them. (So I'm not actually that convinced that all the Opposition parties are so close on these policies, despite the Liberal platform - which at least Rob Silver has admitted the Liberals didn't even really believe in all that much. NDP and BQ, yes.)

Edited by Evening Star

I see the hypocrisy runs as thick as ever around here.

The Prime Minister tars our international reputation, poisons the political environment, politicizes the office of the Governor General, hides from Parliament, withholds information from Parliament, spends years running US-style attack ads, breaks electoral laws, breaks a fixed election date law that he enacted, uses public money for partisan purposes, runs a corrupt, scandal-ridden gov0ernment after promising to clean up government and is actually found in contempt of Parliament. Apparently nobody fucking cares because the guy is still there.

But a young woman dares to use a brief "time in the sun" moment provided by a glorified gopher job to make a personal statement and this is contempt of Parliament??

Geez, what pettiness. What hypocrisy.

Most of this post is pure unadulterated bullshit

The Prime Minister tars our international reputation

Yes he refused to suckhole the Arab despotic governments and as a revenge the Arab nations in that mighty, democratic totally unbiased organization known laughingly as the "United" Nations denied Canada a seat it has long held.

NJow the downtrodden people in those same shithole countries are dying at the hand of their own dictators and Canada has been asked by that same United nations (Ask us, a "tarred" nation?)to help stop the killing--- I'm glad we are doing our part.

breaks electoral laws

When was that--- at the time the Opposition used the ruling of a very biased committee to righteously censure the government for trying to keep Parliament in the house rather than on the street kissing babies for votes?

By the way, the party that needed censure was the one run by the person now run out of politics. That party was handed it's ass as were it's cohorts in the party of traitors who helped bring the censure about-----that was the best case of poetic justice ever see in Canada and I'm still laughing.

But a young woman dares to use a brief "time in the sun" moment provided by a glorified gopher job to make a personal statement and this is contempt of Parliament??

And what will it cost her to be a dumb bitch?

Edited by Tilter