Postal Strike Imminent

For people living in remote communities and relying on only private delivery service, yes.

Should we start a Canada gas company so their gasoline is subsidized? How about a Canada Beer company? Thye pay a lot for beer too...after the shipping is added on....

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With an unlimited amount of financial resources, sure there's a choice. Except, most people don't have an unlimited amount of financial resources.

Most people who live up north have very handsome resources....

A fellow I know used to live in iqaluit...when he told me what a litre of fresh milk costed, what a case of beer cost, etc...I asked how they did it. He said by being paid twice as much as in Toronto...

Are you proposing that mail be delivered either through pipes or twice a month or less?

For those postal codes that get little mail, once a week or less simply makes sense. How many people should be employed at delivering mail for 1000 households daily?

What happens when their bills are late or they miss important notices? How about people that receive pay-cheques through the mail because they work on contracts through the government?

That would be awesome getting bills in the mail that are passed due because they missed one of the twice a month mailings.

What happens when their bills are late or they miss important notices? How about people that receive pay-cheques through the mail because they work on contracts through the government?

That would be awesome getting bills in the mail that are passed due because they missed one of the twice a month mailings.

Yes....everyone is so stupid that there would be no changes....no one does online banking....no one pays bills online...

And if you receive any government cheques, they can be directly deposited in your bank...

The more I think about it, the more I think the post office could be done away with.

That said, we would have to find other ways of dealing with financial and legal notices sent to clients.

As it stands, registered notices using the Canada Post are legal documents as dictated by law. We would have to provide another avenue that can be upheld in court as a legal entity for doing so.

I dont think as it stands any courier is equivalent.

For those postal codes that get little mail, once a week or less simply makes sense. How many people should be employed at delivering mail for 1000 households daily?

Daily delivery is unnecessary, anywhere. I'm even quite convinced that mail doesn't have to be delivered to each and every residence; banks of mailboxes that serve 50 or so homes are quite feasible (though, their security might be an issue).

Regardless, even getting mail to remote locations once a week seems like a costly venture that no private business in competition with others businesses would take on. Seeing as it would have to charge enough to both cover costs and make a profit, and the cost of getting mail to remote locations (salaries for pilots and drivers, gas for planes and trucks, insurance, etc., etc.) is quite high for relatively little cargo, the price to the consumer for the service would be so high that the consumer would be forced to forgo the service, rendering it pointless for any profit-making organisation to offer the service in the first place.

Perhaps mail could be distributed by private carriers in urban and suburban areas and to remote, sparsely populated regions by a Canada Post that had been greatly scaled back and reverted to a government department. Either that, or a private delivery company contracted by the Crown.

[c/e]

Edited by g_bambino

I've certainly never said that, nor do I believe that to be the case. Since you bring it up, I do think that in an economically healthy society, there will always be differences in monetary outcomes between individuals. Some will earn much more than others. And the definition of success changes with the times. But I think as technology progresses and the economy consequentially grows, all will reap some measure of benefit, just as they have historically.

We cannot separate this from the social safety net.

I'm not so sure. That our society can afford to have any of these nets and frameworks is a result of economic growth and prosperity. You can't redistribute wealth that never existed. The critical component of why most people in the west are now as well off as they are is technological and economic progress.

As well as the social safety net.

I never made that argument. But raising the minimum wage certainly contributes to inflation and the price of goods and services.

Then do you think we should dismantle it? If not, why not?

If we should reeuce it, why, and by how muhc?

If it should stay stagnant, why, and for how long?

And during recessions, there are plenty of people who would be happy to do a given job for minimum wage or even less if they could. Again, why should the minimum wage be raised if there are plenty of people willing to do the work for that wage or even lower?

I don't rate this argument at all. A lot of people are compelled by necessity to take what's available to them.

By your logic, why shouldn't the minimum wage be drastically lowered...say, to two dollars an hour?

There'd still be people working them. To you, that's somehow proof of the rightness of a low minimum wage...but at what rate?

Source?

???? That the internet was created through public funding?????

How do you think it happened?

Btw, I just said I could make money that way if I wanted to and know people who do. Myself, I presently have a real job though.

The point is that people who are successful--without exception--depend on tax-funded infrastructure, of which they have reaped disproportionately large rewards.

That's not a criticism of capitalism. In fact, it's only the "government taxes are bad" crowd who are opposed to this in absolute terms...they just don't know it yet. I'm not talking about "bailouts," which ios a separate issue, but about institutionalized dependency on tax-funded infrastucture and programs.

Rewards that anyone can capitalize on if they so choose. There are plenty of ways to make money in our economy. Again, able bodied/minded adults who grind away at a minimum wage job for years are wasting time and continually making a bad decision, 8 hours a day. There's almost always better options.

If there's a human being alive who does not continually make certain "bad decisions," I would surely love to meet this Messiah.

Edited by bloodyminded

Now as for Canada Post - I should clarify. It isn't the post office itself that's important, but the distribution system.
Note that Canada Post feels the same way. That is why they have discontinued rural mail delivery to many farms, closed tons of small post offices and privatized many others. At the same time, they have invested tons of money in their major distribution and sorting centers.

They would make even more $ if they obliged every Canadian to get their mail at a community box instead of some enjoying the privilege of service to their door.

Note that Canada Post feels the same way. That is why they have discontinued rural mail delivery to many farms, closed tons of small post offices and privatized many others. At the same time, they have invested tons of money in their major distribution and sorting centers.

They would make even more $ if they obliged every Canadian to get their mail at a community box instead of some enjoying the privilege of service to their door.

And I completely agree with that. Hell, even putting mail boxes at the end of every street would be an improvement.

Putting in community mailboxes in a country with harsh winters is a great idea with an aging population that is certain to have increasing mobility issues.

It's the norm outside of the cities right now, so I don't see the problem.

UH-oh....now I can't mail you guys any birthday cards!

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Postal Service says it will stop accepting most mail to Canada effective on Saturday night.

Postal officials said they were acting because it appears labor problems being experienced by Canada Post will continue at least into sometime next week.

The post office will continue to accept items to Canada sent by its premium Global Express Guaranteed service, which is delivered in Canada by FedEx Express.

We cannot separate this from the social safety net.

As well as the social safety net.

Then do you think we should dismantle it? If not, why not?

If we should reeuce it, why, and by how muhc?

If it should stay stagnant, why, and for how long?

I don't rate this argument at all. A lot of people are compelled by necessity to take what's available to them.

By your logic, why shouldn't the minimum wage be drastically lowered...say, to two dollars an hour?

There'd still be people working them. To you, that's somehow proof of the rightness of a low minimum wage...but at what rate?

???? That the internet was created through public funding?????

How do you think it happened?

The point is that people who are successful--without exception--depend on tax-funded infrastructure, of which they have reaped disproportionately large rewards.

That's not a criticism of capitalism. In fact, it's only the "government taxes are bad" crowd who are opposed to this in absolute terms...they just don't know it yet. I'm not talking about "bailouts," which ios a separate issue, but about institutionalized dependency on tax-funded infrastucture and programs.

If there's a human being alive who does not continually make certain "bad decisions," I would surely love to meet this Messiah.

And who do you think pays a disproportionately larger share of taxes to fund that safety net? Those who "reaped disproportionally larger rewards".

I have nothing against progressive taxation. I only contest the idea that the wealthy are somehow indebted to society. They pay more taxes then everyone else based on their higher income and progressive taxation

And he is incorrect, but nevertheless, FEDeX delivers millions of units a day, has had massive amounts of capital infusions by investors and operates in a competition rich enviroment.

And it can't compete with Canada Post. I sometimes have stuff delivered by courier. It can be a pain in the ass. If I'm not home, they leave a card, and tell me I can reschedule, once, or go to their depot out in the middle of nowhere to pick it up. Canada Post will reschedule as many times as I want, and otherwise I can just go to one of their many local substations, in a card shop or wherever, to pick up my parcel. It's far more convenient. I also have a postal box for business mail, very nearby at a postal outlet. Oh sure, there are private outfits which rent such boxes - downtown.

I much prefer Canada Post.

Interesting....the choice to live in a "remote community" seems to be lacking when it comes to services readily available in not so "remote" communities. Sounds like some folks want it both ways.

Yeah, all you dumb farmers. Move into the city!

Since I don't have a life, I've been listening on and off to the debates in the House over Bill C-6. I heard Layton deplore that he personally has seen postal workers with braces on their arms due to the physical effort and hardship of handling so many pieces of mail in a repetitive fashion: he praised their tenacity in delivering this most important service to 33 million Canadians at great personal peril. A fellow NDP comrade told us those who deliver mail develop unique relationships with seniors, the disabled and other Canadians who he says value this personal touch in their daily lives. I'm certain this MP thinks only unionized workers can foster these amiable contacts. Oh, well...

Great theater is unfolding right before our eyes. I thank the NDP for forcing MPs of all parties into some discomfort that they have to bunk in their offices to keep this circus going. In the end though, I think it's time for postal workers to bite the bullet and accept what I think are better than average benefits for the type of work they perform. Yes, they serve millions of Canadians and businesses. On the other side of the coin, there are millions of Canadians who would jump at the chance of trading places with disgruntled postal workers.

My solution would be to privatize Canada Post, provide grandfather protection to existing workers and let's move on. It can't come soon enough.