Postal Strike Imminent

In fact, I can't even get UPS to deliver to me in Fredericton. They pass it off to Canada Post for delivery here and it's the capitol of New Brunswick.

That is irrelevant. They can and do pass it off to FedEx or any number of other units, Canada post is not special in this regard.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he is incorrect,

I live here. Prove to me that Fedex delivers to Waterhen, Manitoba. Prove to me that I can send UPS from Dauphin, Manitoba without a return label. Prove to me that I can get DHL without having it handed off to Greyhound and having it deliverd either 1 hour away or 40 minutes away over gravel (even worse) and having no notification.

We get two things here - Canada Post (private contracted driver) and Northern Cartage. Now, as I said, what's important is the distribution system, not the post office. Keep the distribution system, and I wont care. Set up a system where eery community has postage and a drop off point available, and I won't care. Just get rid of the post office and leave it to private companies as they are now, and rural people will suffer.

That is irrelevant. They can and do pass it off to FedEx or any number of other units, Canada post is not special in this regard.

Then there has to be agreements in place for that to happen. There has to be a system in place. You're reducing something very complex to very simple talking points.

Yes, because it doesn't make sense for them to offer a service in a small location that already has a Canada Post. The ridiculous premise that if there wasn't a Canada Post, there'd be no service makes no sense at all.

Canada Post doesn't make money here delivering 3 times a week and having just a contract driver and a contract postal worker. How do you expect Fedex to make money?

A company will absolutely operate even if there's not a current profit to be made. Many companies, at least the good ones, think ahead.

They might think ahead, but they won't risk acting too far in advance. UPS won't set up shop in remote, northern towns, leaving people who live there, in the absence of a postal service, either without or paying exorbitant costs for deliveries.

----

I see cybercoma already made my point for me.

[+]

Edited by g_bambino

Is exorbitant an euphemism for fair market value?

Is that like how if costs more to fly from Winnipeg to Churchill than from Winnipeg to Halifax? If people have to pay $100 to send a small package, that isn't really a good thing. Not everything can be boiled down to the free market.

Interesting....the choice to live in a "remote community" seems to be lacking when it comes to services readily available in not so "remote" communities. Sounds like some folks want it both ways.

With an unlimited amount of financial resources, sure there's a choice. Except, most people don't have an unlimited amount of financial resources.

That's not what a loss-leader does.

I dont think so.

A loss leader is a low price, say milk bags at 99c , which leads lots of people into that store where the store makes upo for it on the other purchases they will make.

The razer co is still making a small margin on the sale of razers, but the pricks ( and I mean that) make a fortune on the blades.

With special rules applied to military members , so not a fair comparison.

The rules were not special...it was a cost and distribution issue, same as it is here. Mail and packages were aggregated and delivered on a reduced schedule, even in peace time.

If a "private contractor" is using their home to support such remote service, then clearly union labor has already been circumvented.

FedEx Canada service from Afghanistan to Waterhen, Manitoba:

Get Rates & Transit Times

1. Ship From / To
 Help   Edit 	 
 	From: Bagram airbase, Afghanistan | To: Waterhen, R0L2C0, Canada on June 15, 2011. 	  	 

2. Package and Shipment Details
 Help   Edit 	   
 	Package Details: 1 package, 4.0 kgs, Your Packaging, 0.00 CAD.  	 

3. Rates and Transit Times
  Help 
Amounts are shown in USD
Select 	  Delivery Date/Time 	  Service 	  Rates 

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:00 PM 	FedEx International Priority® 	349.31

I live here. Prove to me that Fedex delivers to Waterhen, Manitoba. Prove to me that I can send UPS from Dauphin, Manitoba without a return label. Prove to me that I can get DHL without having it handed off to Greyhound and having it deliverd either 1 hour away or 40 minutes away over gravel (even worse) and having no notification.

We get two things here - Canada Post (private contracted driver) and Northern Cartage. Now, as I said, what's important is the distribution system, not the post office. Keep the distribution system, and I wont care. Set up a system where eery community has postage and a drop off point available, and I won't care. Just get rid of the post office and leave it to private companies as they are now, and rural people will suffer.

WhaT Difference does it make if DHL hands it off...or Canada Post hands it off..?

Okay...sell the distributrion system

Then there has to be agreements in place for that to happen. There has to be a system in place. You're reducing something very complex to very simple talking points.

The logistics are complex, the agreements are not. You want complicated, you want a distribution system, consider intermodal rail...

They might think ahead, but they won't risk acting too far in advance. UPS won't set up shop in remote, northern towns, leaving people who live there, in the absence of a postal service, either without or paying exorbitant costs for deliveries.

----

I see cybercoma already made my point for me.

[+]

They don't need to set up shop....they put a drop box in a general store....which is what they normally do in remote communities...and once a week, if there is anything in it, they pick it up