Failed Conservative Candidates Find New Home...

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Politics/20110518/harper-appoints-new-senators-110518/

You may not be able to win a seat in an election to represent the people of Canada.

But, fear not conservative faithful candidates!

Stephen Harper will consider your failiure as an asset and can appoint you to represent the people who rejected your representation!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Politics/20110518/harper-appoints-new-senators-110518/

You may not be able to win a seat in an election to represent the people of Canada.

Stephen Harper will consider your failiure as an asset and can appoint you to represent the people who rejected your representation!

Liberal PMs packed the Senate with Liberals and New Democrats. So why is it suddenly wrong if Harper puts in Conservatives? This is why we need an ELECTED Senate, but Quebec and Ontario are dead set against it.

"The people of Canada" aren't represented by an MP. Each MP represents a majority of voters in a riding.

Senators don't represent ridings. The voters in the ridings where these senators failed to win in the last election will be represented in parliament by the MPs who were elected.

And who voted for the other senators?

These senators were elected to their positions when Canada elected Harper as PM.

It's too bad the left hates democracy when it doesn't benefit the liberals or NDP.

Ah yes the oft used "The CPC is no worse than the Liberals" argument that is indeed a classic and never waxes old in the least.

The CPC was supposed to hold to a higher standard for the senate than the LPC before them, this was one of their major criticisms of the LPC. Now previously the CPC and their supporters would blame the fact that the senate was stacked with LPC party hacks, now it's stacked with CPC hacks. Then they complained that it was the opposition parties and the fact that Harper had only a minority that was the roadblock to reform. Now we're left with the tired ol' excuse of "but but the Liberals did it too!"

As I've said from the very beginning the more things change the more they stay the same.

Also on a side note, you cannot rightly categorize the LPC or their supporters as "left wing" a rather loosely bantered about term. Given the Record of the previous LPC government and the current CPC government the LPC were far more fiscally to the right than the CPC ever dreamed of being.

Many of us supported the LPC because they were fiscally reasonable (read conservative) but socially Liberal. Not supporting the CPC and or criticizing them for their vapid promises make neither me nor anyone else a dreaded "leftist".

These senators were elected to their positions when Canada elected Harper as PM.

Maybe you should stick to activites that do not require any understanding of big words like " elected " .

Liberal PMs packed the Senate with Liberals and New Democrats. So why is it suddenly wrong if Harper puts in Conservatives? This is why we need an ELECTED Senate, but Quebec and Ontario are dead set against it.

Can you name even one New Democrat senator? And even if it were true that Liberals " packed the Senate with Liberals and New Democrats " that would only indicate that they actually considered people from other parties for such plum appointments. How dare they have so much integrity? ( If that is not clear enough for you, I can say it another way: your logic is pathetic. )

That is not why we need an elected Senate. There are other ways to reform the process of selecting senators, if it's really necessary.

[c/e]

Agreed though correct me if I'm wrong this would require a modification to the Constitution to do so. I would think that since it is supposed to be regional representation, we should at least let the appropriate Premieres make the senate appointments. I'm not certain which part of the amendment formula this would require to implement however. I do agree with Benz that having the Senate as an appointment of the PM somewhat defeats the purpose of its original intent.

Maybe you should stick to activites that do not require any understanding of big words like " elected " .

Alberta had an election for potential senators, so two candidates were elected by the Alberta citizens. Unfortunately, the feds ignored the wishes of Albertans, but yes, we did elect (recommended) senators.

Harper has tried to get the mechanism to install an elected senate & has been defeated at every attempt--- so appointments are the norm & I can't visualize him appointing --- say Kreetin or Martin so the appointees will be CPCs or non partisan (sort of )

Can you name even one New Democrat senator? And even if it were true that Liberals " packed the Senate with Liberals and New Democrats " that would only indicate that they actually considered people from other parties for such plum appointments. How dare they have so much integrity? ( If that is not clear enough for you, I can say it another way: your logic is pathetic. )

I can't give you a name but Paul Martin did appoint a woman that was a NDP and he also appointed Huey, a PC. What are the chance that Harper would do that? NONE. He'll appointed another 18 by the end of 2014.

And who voted for the other senators?

It's too bad the left hates democracy when it doesn't benefit the liberals or NDP .

Sorry, but the CCF/NDP haven't been this scummy in their 70 years of existence.

to the rest of the comments...

There are only Conservative apologists and the suckers they are playing...

Lets ignore this and carry on, they are just as bad if not worse then the others... The voters have chosen to give the party of Contempt a Majority and they are going to use it.

Probably because they haven't been given the chance.

With regards to the issue of the Senate the CCF/NDP has a 70 + Year track record. They have been given the chance and never took the bait.

But I am enjoying this Conservative Move.

Really shows true integrity of the Prime Minister.

Bravo Prime Minister Harper....

Canadians elected the man who gets to appoint Senators. Canadians elected to give Harper the power to appoint these senators, hence they were elected. It's only an undemocratic process when a conservative PM gets to do it. Try to keep up.

They have been given the chance and never took the bait.

But they have never been in the position of being able to make a senatorial appointment. Having the power to actually make the appointments - i.e. advise the governor general on who to appoint - comes with the requirement that appointments be made. There's no way for a prime minister to avoid choosing senators; the constitution requires that it be done.

But they have never been in the position of being able to make a senatorial appointment.

Unlike the Liberals, Conservatives..etc.. No Sitting CCF or NDP MP have taken a seat on the Senate. The Patronage Appointments often Cross party lines. There is 70 years of history. Ignore it if you like. But its clear that you have NO idea how much this party interest in abolishing the Senate is, let alone any interest in being a participant in it.

So what if Harper only Appoints Conservatives Hacks and Failed and disgraced Conservative MPs and Bagman. That is his right.

It doesn't mean it is right.

Having the power to actually make the appointments - i.e. advise the governor general on who to appoint - comes with the requirement that appointments be made. There's no way for a prime minister to avoid choosing senators; the constitution requires that it be done.

Well won't this be interesting when the time comes then.

Until then, Lets Watch the Conservative Prime Minister line the Senate with losers.

"Wait a PM can have a majority government with 40% of the popular vote??

Yes he can have a Majority as can anyone else whom is able to win Electoral districts with at least one more vote the competitors have. It has been this way since Confederation. And this percentage is brought up after each election by people who are often on the short end of the stick.

The PM gets to appoint senators rather than have them elected?!? That's not fair (anymore)!!!"

The PM is allowed to appoint to the Senate.

Look at those lovely appointments over the past few years.

Class acts.. so many of them.... yup... I am sure they could get elected .... oh wait a minute... I guess some couldn't win a general election .... could they.

Well its tough times out there.

Conservative Prime Ministers Harper has given them a job. :)

One they couldn't earn.

No Sitting CCF or NDP MP have taken a seat on the Senate.

I said no NDP member has ever been in the position to make a senatorial appointment.

[Y]ou have NO idea how much this party interest in abolishing the Senate is...

I don't know how strongly the party feels about the matter, but I am aware the NDP advocates the abolition of the Senate. That ludicrous position is one of the reasons I'd be happy to never see an NDP government in Ottawa; not, at least, until the party smartens up. The naiveté necessary to believe that dissolving the Senate is a good idea is indication alone that the top levels of the NDP don't have the know-how to run a country as big and complex as Canada.

Well won't this be interesting when the time comes then.

I'd predict that the NDP prime minister would have to put names forward to the governor general for appointment to the Senate, lest that prime minister find himself out of a job.

[c/e]

Edited by g_bambino

Once more it shows that Harper will lie about anything and the man has zero ethics or a sense of integrity in his worthless waste of skin.

Someone needs to shove Harper's own words down his throat and call his hypocritical ass out for this pork barrel patronage move.

"We don't think as a party that patronage has any place in the Parliament of Canada."

Stephen Harper, Calgary Herald, March 22, 1995

"We don't support any Senate appointments."

Stephen Harper, Winnipeg Free Press, January 29, 1996

But of course the Conservative sheep on here will give him a pass because well, it's their great idol who can't do no wrong.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rick

"We don't think as a party that patronage has any place in the Parliament of Canada."

Stephen Harper, Calgary Herald, March 22, 1995

"We don't support any Senate appointments."

Stephen Harper, Winnipeg Free Press, January 29, 1996

Who cares what he said in 1996? He should have, however, at least had a read of the constitution right about the time he was seriously considering becoming prime minister.