anybody but harper-project democracy

if you cherish your democratic rights and reject the harper regime chipping away at our parliamentary system then voting strategically is a valid option in my opinion others will obviously disagree...not something I would do early in a campaign but at this late date it's time to choose the party most likely to defeat conservative candidates for the good of our democratic process, without democracy we have nothing...

Project Democracy offers recent polling in ridings to help avoid situations where vote splitting will benefit the conservatives...

http://www.projectdemocracy.ca/

Edited by wyly

I wholeheartedly disagree with voting negatively. Voting against the Canada you don't want will do nothing towards electing the Canada you do want. Vote for the party that represents you, regardless of their chances in your riding.

I disagree with voting for pie-in-the-sky, and thus allowing the worst-case scenario to occur.

What I want simply will not happen. My choice, therefore is between what I can and cannot accept.

if you cherish your democratic rights and reject the harper regime chipping away at our parliamentary system then voting strategically is a valid option

Is Harper going to end our right to vote? Harper regime?

Our democracy is based on Canadians selecting an MP to represent their riding. Vote swapping is threatening that.

I wholeheartedly disagree with voting negatively. Voting against the Canada you don't want will do nothing towards electing the Canada you do want. Vote for the party that represents you, regardless of their chances in your riding.

normally I agree with you but sometimes there are issues that are more important than any others, democratic rule trumps all other issues, a potential harper majority is real threat to our democracy something to be avoided at all costs...

normally I agree with you but sometimes there are issues that are more important than any others, democratic rule trumps all other issues, a potential harper majority is real threat to our democracy something to be avoided at all costs...

So vote for the other disgusting party? Dream on.

Voting strategically assumes that the polls are going to be as close this time as they were last time. It suggests that people are just going to keep voting as they always have and that's not necessarily the case. Where the NDP are gaining in support, people may find that their NDP candidate this time around actually had a better chance, surprisingly, of beating the Conservative candidate, where last time it was the Liberal. Consequently, where they would have supported their NDP candidate in the past, voting strategically for the Liberal may actually punish their own party. Fast forward to another election, people shift their support to the NDP because that was the best candidate last time. However, a new leader for the Liberals has brought renewed interest to the party. Rinse and repeat the previous scenario. I believe all of this ABH stuff is actually doing more harm than good. People need to support the party they believe in and let the chips fall where they may.

Voting strategically assumes that the polls are going to be as close this time as they were last time. It suggests that people are just going to keep voting as they always have and that's not necessarily the case. Where the NDP are gaining in support, people may find that their NDP candidate this time around actually had a better chance, surprisingly, of beating the Conservative candidate, where last time it was the Liberal. Consequently, where they would have supported their NDP candidate in the past, voting strategically for the Liberal may actually punish their own party. Fast forward to another election, people shift their support to the NDP because that was the best candidate last time. However, a new leader for the Liberals has brought renewed interest to the party. Rinse and repeat the previous scenario. I believe all of this ABH stuff is actually doing more harm than good. People need to support the party they believe in and let the chips fall where they may.

which is why I wouldn't do it until the last moment...the website for project democracy gives the most up to date polling for each riding I wouldn't leave my preferred choice unless I thought the alternative was worse...if the cons had a different leader I wouldn't be concerned and not switch my vote...

I see no problem with strategic voting.

"My favorite candidate has little chance to win. Of the two candidates who do have a chance, I prefer one and dislike the other. I should change my vote to support the candidate I prefer, to reduce the chances of the outcome I least want"

It's a completely legitimate decision making process.

-k

I see no problem with strategic voting.

"My favorite candidate has little chance to win. Of the two candidates who do have a chance, I prefer one and dislike the other. I should change my vote to support the candidate I prefer, to reduce the chances of the outcome I least want"

It's a completely legitimate decision making process.

-k

+1.

I can see how it angers some though.

which is why I wouldn't do it until the last moment...the website for project democracy gives the most up to date polling for each riding I wouldn't leave my preferred choice unless I thought the alternative was worse...if the cons had a different leader I wouldn't be concerned and not switch my vote...

It uses regional numbers, which may not capture how voters feel in a particular riding.

kimmy--of course it's a legitimate strategy. I just don't think it's entirely accurate or effective.

Is Harper going to end our right to vote? Harper regime?

Our democracy is based on Canadians selecting an MP to represent their riding. Vote swapping is threatening that.

Agreed, that tends to undermine democracy more thany alleged rights we are losing - by the way, what rights have we lost...

if you cherish your democratic rights and reject the harper regime chipping away at our parliamentary system then voting strategically is a valid option in my opinion others will obviously disagree...not something I would do early in a campaign but at this late date it's time to choose the party most likely to defeat conservative candidates for the good of our democratic process, without democracy we have nothing...

Project Democracy offers recent polling in ridings to help avoid situations where vote splitting will benefit the conservatives...

http://www.projectdemocracy.ca/

Where does this crap come from? By all means vote strategically if you dont want Harper to win but essentially calling him a fascist is BS. None of your rights have been lost and this just goes to show why Harper controls his press outings and mps. Harper is about as much a fascist as Layton is a commi. Both have there beliefs and I wish people would smarten up and open there eyes to the issues instead of the innuendos and snide bs that comes from all sides in our politics.

Where does this crap come from? By all means vote strategically if you dont want Harper to win but essentially calling him a fascist is BS. None of your rights have been lost and this just goes to show why Harper controls his press outings and mps. Harper is about as much a fascist as Layton is a commi. Both have there beliefs and I wish people would smarten up and open there eyes to the issues instead of the innuendos and snide bs that comes from all sides in our politics.

I can see it all now. Harper gets a majority and in 2 weeks time we will all be in those massive prisons eating wormy food & drinking city water . Then, Hurrah--- Obama's boyz come parachuting in to save the day--- with billions in Foreign aid and hundreds of cases of Budweiser and MREs. Then, across the river from Hull Jilles's boyz come to rescue us from the Amis. He'll bring wine & beg for more balance of payment money.

What a bunch of BS but no more than the thot that a Harper majority will sack the Civil rights of Canadians.

By all means -- vote for Jack (am I missing half his name again??)-- I hear he's going to have free body rub parlors (Schitzu of course) but of course-- Schitzu by any other shorter name.

Edited by Tilter

I can see it all now. Harper gets a majority and in 2 weeks time we will all be in those massive prisons eating wormy food & drinking city water . Then, Hurrah--- Obama's boyz come parachuting in to save the day--- with billions in Foreign aid and hundreds of cases of Budweiser and MREs. Then, across the river from Hull Jilles's boyz come to rescue us from the Amis. He'll bring wine & beg for more balance of payment money.

What a bunch of BS but no more than the thot that a Harper majority will sack the Civil rights of Canadians.

By all means -- vote for Jack (am I missing half his name again??)-- I hear he's going to have free body rub parlors (Schitzu of course) but of course-- Schitzu by any other shorter name.

If it werent for the wife I would have just said, its been a stressfull week at work but I feel MUCH better now thanks.

Vote for the party that represents you, regardless of their chances in your riding.

I had the dilemma too. In my riding, the party I support has liitle chances to win. I considered to go to the "swing" riding where chances are not guaranteed but some help can tipo the balance.

I decided to vote in my riding of residence. Just exactly for the reason not to discourage the party, the candidate of my choice. They should know how much support they have in this riding. Time brings changes.

I decided to vote in my riding of residence. Just exactly for the reason not to discourage the party, the candidate of my choice. They should know how much support they have in this riding. Time brings changes.

Good for you. I mean, even if it were a Conservative supporter voting in Windsor, ON, they should get out and give their party support. If a person holds Conservative views, it shouldn't matter if the NDP are going to sweep Windsor. Get behind your beliefs and give the party that represents them the support they deserve.