We have a traitor in our midst - Harper

Loss of sovereignty? WTF?

If you forbid me from shopping at Walmart, how does that make you or me more "more sovereign"?

What does your ability to shop at WalMart have to do with the topic at hand? We had American retail chains long before FTA or NAFTA or G8 or G20.

The loss of sovereignty is, we agree to not attempt to make Canadians buy Nova Scotian-made tube-socks by slapping punitive tariffs on tube socks made in Alabama. We've voluntarily surrendered our ability to promote Nova Scotian tube-socks at the expense of tube-socks made by our American friends. That's a loss of sovereignty. In return, our American friends voluntarily stop attempting to promote American-made wood products by slapping punitive tariffs on products made in Quebec. They've surrendered some sovereignty as well. Good for Alabama tube-sock mills and Quebec shelving-unit factories, bad for Nova Scotia tube-sock mills and Indiana shelving-unit factories, but everybody gets cheaper tube socks and shelving units.

-k

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm yeah....

Chretian brougyht in NAFTA....thanks for coming

That is wrong M.Dancer. U.S. President George H. W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas met in San Antonio, Texas, on December 17, 1992 to sign NAFTA. That is the main reason why the Conservatives got only 2 out of the 308 federal ridings in the following election.

What does your ability to shop at WalMart have to do with the topic at hand? We had American retail chains long before FTA or NAFTA or G8 or G20.

The loss of sovereignty is, we agree to not attempt to make Canadians buy Nova Scotian-made tube-socks by slapping punitive tariffs on tube socks made in Alabama. We've voluntarily surrendered our ability to promote Nova Scotian tube-socks at the expense of tube-socks made by our American friends. That's a loss of sovereignty. In return, our American friends voluntarily stop attempting to promote American-made wood products by slapping punitive tariffs on products made in Quebec. They've surrendered some sovereignty as well. Good for Alabama tube-sock mills and Quebec shelving-unit factories, bad for Nova Scotia tube-sock mills and Indiana shelving-unit factories, but everybody gets cheaper tube socks and shelving units.

-k

:lol:

Tube socks.... how pre-NAFTA.

The loss of sovereignty is, we agree to not attempt to make Canadians buy Nova Scotian-made tube-socks by slapping punitive tariffs on tube socks made in Alabama. We've voluntarily surrendered our ability to promote Nova Scotian tube-socks at the expense of tube-socks made by our American friends.

End of story.

Your definition of "sovereignty" means that someone in Canada can prevent me from buying socks/trading wherever the Hell I please. That's sovereignty?

Kimmy, your "sovereignty" to promote Nova Scotian tube-socks seems more like a scam.

... but everybody gets cheaper tube socks and shelving units.
I think true sovereignty is letting individual Canadians decide where they'll get the best benefit in any bargain.
That is wrong M.Dancer. U.S. President George H. W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas met in San Antonio, Texas, on December 17, 1992 to sign NAFTA. That is the main reason why the Conservatives got only 2 out of the 308 federal ridings in the following election.
The failure of the Meech Lake Accord had nothing to do with the collapse of the Progressive Conservative Party into a Western and a Quebec wing.

Free trade with the US united Canadians (outside certain urban elites, particularly anglo).

Mulroney unfortunately pushed the envelope on including Quebec in Canada on terms reasonable for all. This, and the GST, were political killers.

Nevertheless, Harper has benefitted from Mulroney's good work.

----

BTW, Laurier also signed a Free Trade Agreement with the Americans.

Edited by August1991

-k

I agree with you in theory, but in practice the trade-off is not an equal one.

Your definition of "sovereignty" means that someone in Canada can prevent me from buying socks/trading wherever the Hell I please. That's sovereignty?

Kimmy, your "sovereignty" to promote Nova Scotian tube-socks seems more like a scam.

I think true sovereignty is letting individual Canadians decide where they'll get the best benefit in any bargain.

If you're talking about individual sovereignty it is. When you're talking about sovereignty of the nation, it isn't.

If you're talking about individual sovereignty it is. When you're talking about sovereignty of the nation, it isn't.
Sovereignty of the nation?

As individuals, we surrender our individual sovereignty to the nation/country in certain conditions. We fight and die for our country. More mundanely, we pay taxes. Maybe I'm playing with the word "sovereignty" but I don't think so.

----

If I'm going to surrender my freedom to others, then I want to make damn sure that my loss is someone else's clear gain. I don't want to die for nothing. And I want to make sure that my taxes are used to do good.

How is being forced to buy Nova Scotian Tube Socks an acceptable, good infringement of my individual sovereignty? As I say, it strikes me as a scam - that Mulroney rightly stopped.

Edited by August1991

The only traitor is Duceppe. We need to enact the Emergencies Act and detain the entire BQ cabinet. Ban the party and any like it from Canada and move on.

lol

Conservatives- we must fight authoritarian rule! (Unless we're in control, of course!)

Nafta only had a few MAJOR problems that were aligned to US interests.

1. Access to buy out Canadian companies and ship out Canadian resources. Americans have WAY more capital so can just buy out all the successful public companies, without the trade restrictions they can just move product across the border - at no gain to Canada.

2. It placed restrictions on internal Canadian trade - that is not free trade that is "trade blockage". It happens that this meant Canada an incredibly resource self sufficient country could not internally trade its own resources and was FORCED to buy foreign products - with markups in a global market rather than establish strong domestic companies able to internally trade to be competitive on a global market rather than taken over by multinational giants headquartered in the US.

3. It opened up Canada's resources to US companies on equal basis on Canadian companies this outright also gave the American's an edge because they had more capital. You could say but there is no difference between a US company and a Canadian company. You are wrong. US steel and other US companies show that they favour strengthening their US homebase and employees at the cost of Canadian jobs. It is reverse dumping -- basically they come in buy the industry and resource rights, then scuttle -- so that they can force up the market and bring home the money to their US assets... that is why Nafta doesn't work, there are still different nationalities, and US companies favour US nationals to Canadian nationals, meaning the US gets jobs that Canadians could compete for.

Anyone who doesn't get the issue of Nafta is a moron or a traitor.

Edited by William Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, Laurier also signed a Free Trade Agreement with the Americans.

That is nonsense August1991. Starting in 1855, while Canada was under British control, free trade was implemented between the colonies of British North America and the United States under the Reciprocity Treaty. In 1866, a year before Canadian Confederation, the United States Congress voted to cancel the treaty. Every Prime Minister since Confederation had said that Canada can not have reciprocity (free trade) with the US because of the difference in the economy of scale between the countries. Every Prime Minister up to Mulroney.

infringement of my individual sovereignty

You know what you can do with your "individual sovereignty" or any other Austro-Libertarian philosophy, policy or pipe dream. If one man was to blame for the financial meltdown that many countries around the world are still struggling from it's that Libertarian Greenspan, the former head of the US Federal Reserve. If Harper likes his Libertarian policy so much then let him pack his bags and head south.

I heard this catchy tune on a local radio station today,

"Steve It's Time to Leave"

You can see who has the best chance to beat out the conservative in your riding at the Project Democracy web site.

http://www.projectdemocracy.ca/

That is nonsense August1991. Starting in 1855, while Canada was under British control, free trade was implemented between the colonies of British North America and the United States under the Reciprocity Treaty. In 1866, a year before Canadian Confederation, the United States Congress voted to cancel the treaty. Every Prime Minister since Confederation had said that Canada can not have reciprocity (free trade) with the US because of the difference in the economy of scale between the countries. Every Prime Minister up to Mulroney.

You're sure? From the Canadian Encyclopedia article on Sir Wilfrid Laurier`:

After 1908, despite his desire to correct certain abuses arising from the far-reaching changes in society, Laurier focused his attention primarily on 2 bills which, in the final analysis, resulted in his defeat (...). The second bill concerned reciprocity with the US, the old Liberal dream of 1891. Brought to the Commons early in 1911, it provided for the free trade of several natural products and reduced duty for an imposing number of Canadian manufactured products entering the US. Despite the attractions of the plan, it raised the ire of Canadian industrialists and provided a target for the Conservative Party under R.L. BORDEN, who accused the Liberals of disloyalty toward England and of leading the country towards political annexation. To settle the issue the prime minister called a general election and, on 21 September 1911, suffered a bitter defeat.

You know what you can do with your "individual sovereignty" or any other Austro-Libertarian philosophy, policy or pipe dream. If one man was to blame for the financial meltdown that many countries around the world are still struggling from it's that Libertarian Greenspan, the former head of the US Federal Reserve. If Harper likes his Libertarian policy so much then let him pack his bags and head south.

I heard this catchy tune on a local radio station today,

"Steve It's Time to Leave"

You can see who has the best chance to beat out the conservative in your riding at the Project Democracy web site.

http://www.projectdemocracy.ca/

mikemac-- project democracy shows the candidate from the last election that had the best chance of defeating the Conservatives. The same thing might not be true today. We're wading into uncharted territory with the NDP polling above 30%. Project Democracy is going to do more harm than good. Vote for the party that represents YOU, not against the party that doesn't.

A party dedicated to the breakup of Canada is treasonous, end of story. These traitors need to be banned from ever poisoning Canada ever again.

So we should just throw away a person's right to free speach? If there are enough people in a given area to support a certain view then they have that right to have that view heard. Out-lawing any political party or view is just a disgusting idea.