Reject the election. Don’t mark your ballot!

The Plutocracy that actually governs our world is very interested in fostering the different reasons why we shouldn't vote because it is one of the many ways that they are stopping us from freeing ouselves from their control.

And who is this Plutocracy?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether a citizen doesn't vote by spoiling the ballot or leaving it blank or simply not going to the polls. He or She is performing an antisocial act. As members of the human race we have a obligation to participate in our respective societies.

Do we have an obligation to help maintain the status-quo of a undemocratic system from the 19th century by voting for a status-quo party?

Do we have an obligation to help maintain the status-quo of a undemocratic system from the 19th century by voting for a status-quo party?

You are free to do nothing, or spoil your ballot and do nothing..each will suffice to maintain the status qua which has worked admirably well since the 19th century

Try again. Canadians do not select their government.

Really...so the party that elects the most MPs doesn't go on to form the government?

Not relevant?

How can a system be called democratic if people do not select their leader?

Now that we have firmly established you don't know what you are talking about, can we move on?

Edited by M.Dancer

Really...so the party that elects the most MPs doesn't go on to form the government?

No, a majority of the representatives that the people elect do.

Now that we have firmly established you don't know what you are talking about, can we move on?

The GG could ask for a coalition to form a government even if another party has the most seats (unless a majority is achieved then the GG will probably ask the majority). So Canadians do not exclusively select their government. Same with a leader, the parties pick the leaders, not you or me. A party can also turf a PM without permission but the people can't. This is called Legislative Sovereignty, the legislature picks leaders and governments as opposed to Popular Sovereignty where the People decide. So in Canada the legislature trumps the people.

In fact the only thing Canadians exclusively do select is their representative and even that is flawed since FPTP with two+ candidates ensures that the candidate selected will (usually) not have a majority of the vote so the rep only has the active support of a minority of voters, conversely the majority does not support the rep. And of course with declining voter turnout (I wonder why) this is even worse.

Edited by [email protected]

The GG could ask for a coalition to form a government even if another party has the most seats (unless a majority is achieved then the GG will probably ask the majority).

Incorrect. The GG could be asked...not ask.

Incorrect. The GG could be asked...not ask.

Either way Canada's democracy could be greatly improved, the people could have a real say, more people would turn out to vote.

But so what? Right?

Let's discuss credit card rates and debate seating and vote to keep things the way they are.

Edited by [email protected]

There is also another option to disatisfied citizens.Other than spoiling your ballot or making a green protest vote.

And that is protesting publicly.

Has worked wonders in the middle east.However spoiling a ballot there was never an option.

It seems that public protests in Canada has simmered down since the big G20 bltz.

WWWTT

Either way Canada's democracy could be greatly improved, the people could have a real say, more people would turn out to vote.

But so what? Right?

Let's discuss credit card rates and debate seating and vote to keep things the way they are.

Voter turnout rates in most Western countries, regardless of political system, have been falling for years. It's fallacious (to say the least) that because we can't vote for the Governor General, legions of potential voters are staying away. Frankly, if you wanted my opinion, it would have nothing to do with the Queen or the GG, but with the sordid miserable affairs that most of the political parties are, and how little voice our elected representatives at the provincial and Federal level have. Statistically, voter turnout 25 years ago was higher, and we have the same damned system.

I guess it is a good thing that people in Egypt and Libya don't think this way.

Huh? What does this have to do with them?

I happen to believe that if you don't want to pay interest on your credit cards then you have the choice to not use a credit card.

Credit card interest rates are all ready capped (as are all interest rates) although some will argue that cap is too high (I think it is 60% APR).

Since this is what I believe, obviously the NDP's call for such caps is not going to interest me to vote for them (although other policies may) and I will vote accordingly.

Now, since you're going to reject/spoil your ballot, tell us again how this makes you so much like your brethren in Libya/Egypt while M. Dancer and I are somehow anti-democratic?

Now, since you're going to reject/spoil your ballot, tell us again how this makes you so much like your brethren in Libya/Egypt while M. Dancer and I are somehow anti-democratic?

I don't really know anything about M. Dancer and you (and I don't even know if agree with each other) so I don't want to seem to forward, but if you support legislative sovereignty instead of popular sovereignty then I would humbly suggest that you are lean towards authoritarianism and away from democracy.

I don't really know anything about M. Dancer and you (and I don't even know if agree with each other) so I don't want to seem to forward, but if you support legislative sovereignty instead of popular sovereignty then I would humbly suggest that you are lean towards authoritarianism and away from democracy.

I support the current system because it works pretty well.

That hardly makes me an authoritarian. In fact, when I take the test, I am slightly right economically (0.12) and quite libertarian (-5.85).

If you want to change the system to improve it then I may support some or all of those changes - assuming I know what changes are being proposed, of course.

However, by spoiling/rejecting your ballot you're not actively participating in our existing (albeit flawed) democracy and are telling the rest of us "dick" about what you do want.

Once again, a passive aggressive "solution" that will change nothing (well, other than the number of spoiled/rejected ballots).