Federal Election Polls

Slightly off topic, but do any of you "senior members" (in posts, not years) know what the record number of posts in a single thread is? I bet this one has it.

Oh no, there have been longer threads, I think. The Ground Zero Mosque thread comes to mind as a long one.

Edited by Smallc

You're way oversimplifying things. The Liberals could look at an alliance with the NDP as the kiss of death and decide just to prop up the Tories. That's my leading theory at the moment.

Wasn't it a Liberal motion put forward in the House which caused the gov't to fall? That's why I think the way I do. I guess they could prop up Harper, after all they have absolutely nothing to lose. They're in free fall in terms of support atm. Don't you think any credibility Ignatieff has left would evaporate if he supported Harper?

Wasn't it a Liberal motion put forward in the House which caused the gov't to fall?

That might as well have been a million years ago.

That's why I think the way I do. I guess they could prop up Harper, after all they have absolutely nothing to lose. They're in free fall in terms of support atm. Don't you think any credibility Ignatieff has left would evaporate if he supported Harper?

What on earth makes you think Iggy is going to have any part of the decision-making process? He's done like dinner.

That might as well have been a million years ago.

What on earth makes you think Iggy is going to have any part of the decision-making process? He's done like dinner.

TB, ok forget Ignatieff then. Don't you think the LPC will suffer further by voting with Harper? After all the whining about him being corrupt and blah blah blah.

If the NDP does get near 100 seats, and the Conservatives about 125 - 130, the Liberals won't have any type of good choice.

I really want Layton to become PM so he can destroy Canada like Rae did Ontario except worse. The NDP will be done everywhere except Qc. because...well...because they do things differently.

Then Harper will cruise to majority after majority. Hopefully he'll start wearing a military uniform and holding massive military parades in downtown Toronto. Row after Row of Canadian soldier goose stepping and saluting our Leader.

Every public office in Canada will bear a photo of Harper standing proudly in uniform which everyone walking past will have to salute every morning.

I dare to dream.

Edited by Mr.Canada

I'm not being argumentative, or busting anyone's chops, but why is it certain polling firms seem to give results consistently showing an anomalous result compared to the others. I have often noticed this.

Other than Polaris, which is bought and paid for by the Liberal party, IMO.

I've been attempting to look into that...a lot of it depends on how they gather the data...Nanos does it by phone and statistically the people most likely to answer a phone call from an out of province area code or an unknown number are rural, older and undereducated; younger people tend to text and many won't answer a phone call from a unknown source...the former tend to vote conservative the later are more left leaning so a phone survey will likely be skewed in the conservative adavntage...

I've nothing to support this but IMO independent polling company's don't deliberately skew the results that's a very bad business plan for future clients...

I really want Layton to become PM so he can destroy Canada like Rae did Ontario except worse.

I don't believe that such a thing would happen if Layton were to become PM.

I dare to dream.

In this case, that's all you're doing.

TB, ok forget Ignatieff then. Don't you think the LPC will suffer further by voting with Harper? After all the whining about him being corrupt and blah blah blah.

No, I think they'll suffer more by making a formal alliance with the NDP, only marginally less with a formal alliance with the Tories. Doing either could fracture the party, sending the two halves towards the Tories and NDP. The only strategy that has a hope in hell of keeping the Liberals united in the medium term is maintaining their independence, no matter the temptation in some camps to cozy up to their nearest ideological neighbor.

If the NDP does get near 100 seats, and the Conservatives about 125 - 130, the Liberals won't have any type of good choice.

they (iggy) burned their bridges behind them as far as coalition goes until there is a new liberal leader who is not bound to Ignatieffs policy...until then they follow the path ndp has taken for decades, support the government or not on a vote by vote basis...they need to keep their independence as long as possible and develop a distinct identity from the other two parties

Come on Smallc! Have you read the bloody NDP platform? It's absolutely ludicrous and impossibly costly.

And since, if somehow the NDP formed a government, they'd need the support of a bunch of non-NDP MPs, it won't survive to that point.

Why do you people keep harping on platforms? Why do you think any of the platforms mean anything?

Come on Smallc! Have you read the bloody NDP platform? It's absolutely ludicrous and impossibly costly.

so are 30 billion for jets, billions more for building prisons for imaginary criminals, and billion dollar parties for g20 gatherings all the while cutting the means to pay for it by reducing the GST... Edited by wyly

they (iggy) burned their bridges behind them as far as coalition goes until there is a new liberal leader who is not bound to Ignatieffs policy...until then they follow the path ndp has taken for decades, support the government or not on a vote by vote basis...they need to keep their independence as long as possible and develop a distinct identity from the other two parties

The Liberals single biggest problem will likely be a lack of time. They've got a few weeks to decide, and they likely be doing it with with either a lame duck (Iggy) or an interim leader. That's the other reason I lean towards them not making any formal agreements. We saw what happened when an outgoing leader tried to bind the Liberal caucus to an alliance in 2008. There was blood on the floor after that one. An interim leader won't have the authority from the party as a whole. Unless the Liberals do what all political parties should be doing and basically say "We'll let the caucus decide."

And since, if somehow the NDP formed a government, they'd need the support of a bunch of non-NDP MPs, it won't survive to that point.

Why do you people keep harping on platforms? Why do you think any of the platforms mean anything?

TB. The NDP have been going on and on about many things forever basically. Given the chance you don't think they'll implement some of them? Who knows maybe the NDP will be good at governing and I'll become a Orange revolution supporter and I'll buy one of those furry Russian hats, a gray trench coat and I'll walk around saying 'Da comrade' a lot but we'll have to wait and see.

TB. The NDP have been going on and on about many things forever basically. Given the chance you don't think they'll implement some of them?

No I don't, because they won't be in a position to unilaterally do anything. If they form some sort of government, it's either going to be a coalition or at least some sort of vote agreement, which means their platform will be cut to ribbons.

Again, I'll repeat. Nobody's platform is worth the price of two week old dog crap at this point. They might as well be making fart sounds for all it ultimately means.

The Liberals single biggest problem will likely be a lack of time. They've got a few weeks to decide, and they likely be doing it with with either a lame duck (Iggy) or an interim leader. That's the other reason I lean towards them not making any formal agreements. We saw what happened when an outgoing leader tried to bind the Liberal caucus to an alliance in 2008. There was blood on the floor after that one. An interim leader won't have the authority from the party as a whole. Unless the Liberals do what all political parties should be doing and basically say "We'll let the caucus decide."

yup they will be in a really tough spot, I for one don't want to see them disappear a two party system is unhealthy for democracy...there are the greens but that's a little way off for now...

One word Senate. If anyone thinks the Liberals and Conservatives in the Senate will just let the NDP do whatever they want then they don't know anything.

the paranoid hysteria that a possible ndp government is creating is stunning...some fellow albertans I've talked to are convinced we'll all be penniless and standing in line in soup kitchens... :rolleyes:

The Senate doesn't even have to get involved. The NDP wouldn't have a majority to play with anyways.

I'm just saying even if they had a Majority, it wouldn't matter there is still a Senate that has no NDPers in it at all. If the Liberals and Cons didn't want something passed they could just not pass it even with a NDP majority.