Federal Election Polls

I really don't understand the prevalence of the national "support" polls. They are completely useless in determining who will actually win the election. I guess it's simpler than saying "Hey the election is going to be decided in 14 ridings again, probably somewhere in Ontario and Quebec, and hey your vote doesn't actually matter!"

I do like the way "The Signal" breaks down a lot of the information though. I am curious what happened on Sept 7,8,9 that sparked the divergence of the numbers. I took a quick look, and other than Syrian Refugee's I don't see much...And why don't news agencies have a show by date anyway? Didn't they used to?

To anyone with two braincells to rub together, this kind of hyperbole is mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging garbage that does a disservice to intelligent debate on the real issue of world terrorism and Islamic extremism.

Gee, just like the ignorant fear mongering that goes on issues like CO2, nuclear power or GMOs. Of course, you are self righteous enough to think that your opinion those issues is the only correct one and anyone who disagrees is corporate goon out to destroy the planet.

Some recent polls suggest conservatives moving to the top and even on the brink of forming another majority. It is real sad that they appear to have acquired this late support based on hate for the neqab and stripping off the citizenships for those not born or even whose parents nor born in Canada (and I am sure they would extend it to their grandparents too if that will bring them a few more hate votes) NOT based on what they plan for economy, the environment, the nation or future of democracy which they have shattered in Canada. Interesting enough they are quite ready to make a 19 billion dollar trade deal with a country which has the worst human rights records when it comes to women and violates their very basic human rights by depriving them even from driving. That is of course Saudi Arabia which forces women to wear neqab.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

May be but the conservatives are building and growing on it by a deliberate campaign policy. And you haven't explained if they really are against women's oppression and see niqab as a sign of oppression then why they are so friendly with Saudi Arabia and the recent huge trade deal mostly military equipment?

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

Gee, just like the ignorant fear mongering that goes on issues like CO2, nuclear power or GMOs. Of course, you are self righteous enough to think that your opinion those issues is the only correct one and anyone who disagrees is corporate goon out to destroy the planet.

Yeah. Let me know when CO2 and GMOs get human rights, Tim. What a painfully stupid analogy.

And the promised EKOS poll (Was starting to wonder if they were delaying it's release like the last one)

20151002_slide01.jpg

And by Province:

20151002_slide05.jpg

Confirming again, that here in BC, the Liberals are not a factor (Justin's pops giving us the finger still stings) and the race in this Province is between the Tories and the NDP.

The Ekos poll was outdated before it was published. They were last in the field on Sept. 29. The Angus Reid, Nanos, Innovative, and Léger were all in the field later.

Has the landscape in BC drastically changed in the last several days?

You tell me. There's more recent polls than the Ekos one.

Have any disproved my statement on the race in British Columbia between the Tories/NDP? (My point from several days ago after all)........You appear to follow polling more than I.

Wonder why this EKOS poll is always out of phase with all other polls!!!!! and always in favor of conservatives!!!. As I said before I never trust their numbers again after they put the Tories close to majority just last week supported by no other poll since then.

The Star's Forum poll this week also had a 7 or 8 point separation.....but yes, it's crazy how these polls are so skewed.

I encourage you guys to keep up with this wikipedia article that tracks all the polls. They even give you the direct PDF to the firms' announcements, as opposed to the news headlines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_in_the_Canadian_federal_election,_2015

Thanks for sharing. Too bad it's not real time though :( The two polls today are not in there. Darnit! Bring back Encarta!! ;)

Thanks for sharing. Too bad it's not real time though :( The two polls today are not in there. Darnit! Bring back Encarta!! ;)

They're in there. They're organized by the "last polling date," which is the last day they were in the field, not the day the poll was published.

I've got to wonder if they have a weighting problem. It's impossible to know because they don't give detailed accounts of how they weight their findings (trade secret I guess).

It's almost like the Liberal supporter has "their poll" which shows Trudeau as front runner. Same with the Conservatives.

Same can't be said of the NDP though :|

The NDP are definitely behind and it's unlikely they'll pull back ahead. However, the last orange surge happened 14 days before the election. I guess we'll see what happens after the debate tonight. Mulcair was stronger in this debate than any of the others, imo. Though, I'm not really sure these debates are having any appreciable effect on the standings. It seems other external news has a much greater effect.

Have any disproved my statement on the race in British Columbia between the Tories/NDP? (My point from several days ago after all)........You appear to follow polling more than I.

The latest EKOS results contain info 3 days old, Nanos has numbers collected up until Oct. 1st. Here is what the freshest sounding says about the BC regional race:

Liberal - 34.1

NDP - 30.5

Cons - 26.9

CPC will likely win this election but it will have more to do with the Quebec shake-up than with the BC region.