ODA POLL

madmax

Will Bev Oda Resign   

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where the "I don't know" and "Other" options?

If you think there is something "Other" then post the "Other" Choice.

I don't know what "other" thing could happen. Either she will keep her job or she won't.

But if there is some "Other" outcome can come up with ... then let us know what it is.

Would that lead to a Forced Resignation ?

Not in and of itself. Oda could be even be expelled from the House, but Parliament has no power to force the PM to remove her from Cabinet. In normal circumstances, simply finding her in contempt, without any explicit punishments, would be enough to convince her to resign or the PM to remove her from Cabinet, but these do not appear to be normal circumstances, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Harper insisted she remain in Cabinet even if she wasn't allowed to sit in the House.

IF the speaker says that Parliament has to vote on the solution, as Oda being in contempt of Parliament, she's gone. Today, Layton went to see Harper for a 40 minute lets make a deal. Jack want increase in GIS, changes to CPP, HST off heating fuels and some other things. The polls show Canadians won't like what ODA has done and how Harper is defending her. Harper now has to decide do I make a deal with the NDP or take a chance and go for an election. Jack has to GET some back something BIG from Harper or the NDP will lose vote for the NDPs that want Harper gone.

IF the speaker says that Parliament has to vote on the solution, as Oda being in contempt of Parliament, she's gone. Today, Layton went to see Harper for a 40 minute lets make a deal. Jack want increase in GIS, changes to CPP, HST off heating fuels and some other things. The polls show Canadians won't like what ODA has done and how Harper is defending her. Harper now has to decide do I make a deal with the NDP or take a chance and go for an election. Jack has to GET some back something BIG from Harper or the NDP will lose vote for the NDPs that want Harper gone.

The problem with is that the NDP can't give Harper enough votes to guarantee passage, unless either enough Bloc or Liberal MPs abstain from the vote.

'forced resignation is both an oxymoron and quite unusual in politics.

It is always couched in nice words, and appears to be the resignees idea.

She should quit though, not for her decision which is entirely hers to make, but for the lie about not knowing who made the decision.

The time for that kind of "thank you very much for your dedicated service and mind your step as we push you out the window" resignation seems to be rapidly coming to an end. The only thing I can think of for the Tories even wanting time to respond to the Opposition charges is perhaps that there may be some members of caucus who are not quite champions of the Minister as Harper has declared himself to be.

The problem with is that the NDP can't give Harper enough votes to guarantee passage, unless either enough Bloc or Liberal MPs abstain from the vote.

R you sure about that? Its been my understanding that the Conservatives have only ever required one party on board to get any bill passed. I thought they were roughly 12 seats shy and the NDP, has 39 seats.

Hmm. There's the small matter as to whether the NDP wants an election.

The NDP never want an election. Their MPs are always vulnerable and the NDP have always believed they can get more done in the house then in an election. But the NDP doesn't support any government without the government supporting the NDP on some issue. Thus if there isn't anything on the table, the NDP have never hesitated to vote against the government. And if there is nothing on the table, the NDP won't support a government even if it means going to the polls. THe NDP watch the polls like any other party, but it doesn't seem to affect their decisions. The pundits and media alway say that... "oh it doesn't look good for the NDP in the polls". Well for a party with a range of 15 to 20% support that is their traditional range. I think the NDP were at 13% in the 2008 election and came out with 17 or 18% support.

I don't believe the NDP has asked for HUGE things. They have asked for changes to current programs. This is hardly in the realm of Douglas and Lewis who brought in Health Care or Fira. These were totally new programs.

I also don't think that this meeting has anything to do with Bev Oda issue.

All party leaders normally meet with Prime MInister before the budget and normally the Prime Minister humours them then blows them off.

Returning back to ODA.

Thats a separate issue that doesn't look like its going away soon.

Further to comment that Oda changed her story

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/bev-oda-speaks-but-not-on-kairos/article1912170/

"During a committee appearance in December, Ms. Oda said she did not know who put in the word “not” on the Kairos funding proposal that had been approved by her officials. This week, she changed her story, saying that she had provided the direction for the insertion of the word."

Her answer was rather simple in that she didn't know the "who" by name which is understandable. She didn't didn't know who wrote in the word "not" - she wasn't present.

The question wasn't who was responsible for refusing the funding for Kairos because Liberals aren't smart enough to formulate a simple question and they want to run a country - forget it.

Maybe the Minister wouldn't be called "evasive" if they asked a proper question.

However to say she "changed her story" is a misrepresentation and can not stand the test of scrutiny, because back in December 2010 , at the same meeting that Oda testified at, Margaret Biggs President of CIDA told the committee, Oda was responsible for the change, and had every right to make the change, so it was established back in December Oda was responsible for rejecting the Kairos funding. Now in February her statement that "she had provided the direction for the insertion of the word" is only an acknowledgment of what was determined back in December, by the committee, and there is no change in the substance of the story or position that can be attributed to Oda.

Margaret Biggs testimony at December meeting before committee

“I think as the minister said, the agency did recommend the project to the minister. She has indicated that. But it was her decision, after due consideration, to not accept the department’s advice. This is quite normal, and I certainly was aware of her decision. The inclusion of the word “not” is just a simple reflection of what her decision was, and she has been clear. So that’s quite normal,” she told the foreign affairs committee.”

oda's days are probably coming to an end. the conservatives are hoping this issue will be forgotten over the break this week, but i don't see it going anywhere.

Even if it is forgotten, there's still the Speaker's ruling, and if the Speaker sides with the Opposition, a whole new circus.

If I were Harper, I'd basically be telling Oda "Bev, go back to your constituency, search your heart, then come back and quit."

Even if it is forgotten, there's still the Speaker's ruling, and if the Speaker sides with the Opposition, a whole new circus.

If I were Harper, I'd basically be telling Oda "Bev, go back to your constituency, search your heart, then come back and quit."

Even if the speaker did rule Oda in contempt, I fully expect Harper to ignore it.

Even if the speaker did rule Oda in contempt, I fully expect Harper to ignore it.

I don't think you quite understand how this works. The Speaker will not rule that Oda is in contempt, he will rule that her actions were a breach, and then it would be referred to the Committee on Parliamentary Privilege, which will ultimately decide whether it is referred to the House for a vote. It is Parliament, not the Government, that decides whether anyone is to be found in Contempt of Parliament. As part of that motion will be whether there is anything beyond a simple vote (ie. basically a sort of public outing with no Parliamentary sanctions or punishments) right on to expulsion from the House.

It's not Harper's place to ignore this. Let's remember here, folks, that Harper is just the Prime Minister. I know, in this age of all-powerful PMOs, that it's hard to put the PM's powers in perspective, but he is not the boss of the House, and in a minority situation, he can do little else if the Committee opts to recommend a vote in the House on the breach of privilege than to protest. He cannot overrule Parliament, which is supreme over the Government. He has the power to retain Oda as Minister, because our constitution does not require that a Minister be an MP or Senator in good standing, or even be a member of either House at all (although having Ministers who are not a member of Parliament is extremely rare in the modern Westminster system), so at the end of the day he can go on as business as usual so far as the executive functions go, but it would be a rather strange situation to have a Minister forbidden from the House having to go through proxies.

So Harper cannot just ignore the Speaker or Parliament. He is, after all, just the Prime Minister. He is not the Queen, he is not the Governor General, and he is certainly subordinate in all things to Parliament.