Making marijuana legal for personal consumption.

Yes, I'm aware of the Tory crime bill and I don't agree with the section having to do with pot possession. One doesn't need to agree with 100% of a parties agenda to support them Topaz. I certainly don't agree with every word that comes out of PM Harpers mouth, just most of it.

This is one area where my personal opinions differ from my party. I doubt I'm the only conservative voter who feels this way as well.

I'd like to see a link to where a "kid" has gotten 5-10 years for passing some pills. I've been arrested and been to prison myself and I've never heard of anyone getting 5-10 years for a few pills.

We build new roads, new sewers, run new electricity lines etc to keep up with population growth but we shouldn't build new prisons as well? The more people we have in Canada the more criminals we'll have, it's simple math.

Well the Tories won't be in power forever. No one party will be. Sooner or later the Liberals will get it together and will win an election again. Politics is in constant flux and never remains the same. Right now it's the Tories turn but the Liberals will rise again. You don't seriously think the Tories will be in power forever do you?

There's no need to make fun of me either. I'm just voicing my opinion on what I think is a good idea.

Yes, I think it's worth looking into, and I'm glad you're not a doctrinaire Conservative (large "C") like i thought you were.

I think the Tories should adopt a policy like this as a plank in their next election platform. It would be wildly popular and would catch the other parties off guard. Not making it legal across the board but only legal for personal consumption.

I'm talking about growing, consuming and possession. It would free up some valuable resources in our legal system to fight real crime and would make Canada a huge holiday draw. Plus it could cut into the profits of organized crime.

Our tourism would skyrocket. Canada would become the Amsterdam of the west. People could open hash bar/coffee shops without penalization putting more Canadians to work.

Many Canadians already have no problem with cannabis and accept its use in the public square. I'm shocked that a political party hasn't done this yet.

I don't smoke myself at all but would have no problem voting for this if it were put to a referendum.

That would require a 180degree turnabout by the Conservative Party.

Currently its Jailtime, 3 strikes and removal of the Pardon Process to those whom were convicted of simple possession.

If you are wondering whom those new fancy prisons are being built for... its for users of cannibis.

Regardless there is no public movement on this issue and its seen as an Old farts issue to the younger generation.

The NDP position is decriminalization for cannibis users. The other parties remain keeping it within the criminal code.

Its a non issue in most respects. There are logical reasons to legalize it, but it will never happen because of the demands of our Southern Trading Partner.

It will never happen under a Conservative Government regardless of outside pressures.

Ironically I think most Canadians would support its decriminilization or legalization, although we wouldn't know where things would end up once the rhethoric takes over between political parties. But this is not a Canadian Priority regardless.

About our southern trading partner. They will like it or buy their oil and other resources from someplace else. Canada needs to start flexing its muscle it has in these regards.

Sure...right after Canada builds the pipeline capacity, refineries, and finds the capital to continue development of those resources. Canada isn't going to win a trade war with the United States.

About our southern trading partner. They will like it or buy their oil and other resources from someplace else.

They ARE buying oil like everyone else, on world market, and at world prices. See Commodity/Futures pages of your paper (centerfold in Globe & Mail)

Canada needs to start flexing its muscle it has in these regards

Harper is the first PM declaring Northwest Passage a Canada proper - supported by new navy ships (to quite a resistance of the US and couple other countries.)

Sure...right after Canada builds the pipeline capacity, refineries, and finds the capital to continue development of those resources. Canada isn't going to win a trade war with the United States.

absolutely right, we can't win a trade war with the US.

OTOH, we've been known to build a pipeline or two and even the odd refinery. And you can't possibly think that we couldn't find a non-american source of capital to develop all that oil and gas? It might even go over big in the states - you know reduce dependence on foreign oil.

....OTOH, we've been known to build a pipeline or two and even the odd refinery. And you can't possibly think that we couldn't find a non-american source of capital to develop all that oil and gas? It might even go over big in the states - you know reduce dependence on foreign oil.

Then do it...talk is cheap...has been for many years. Come election time, there will be much chest beating and trash talk about "abrogating NAFTA" and showing those "damn Americans a thing or two". Then Canada will sign yet another agreement integrating its economy and security with the Americans even more.

So yea...build those pipelines...with somebody else's capital...again.

Then do it...talk is cheap...has been for many years. Come election time, there will be much chest beating and trash talk about "abrogating NAFTA" and showing those "damn Americans a thing or two". Then Canada will sign yet another agreement integrating its economy and security with the Americans even more.

So yea...build those pipelines...with somebody else's capital...again.

Hee hee. You really do go round in circles.

Even when somebody agrees with you, you can't seem to take it in stride. You were the one that raised the issue of building pipelines etc without american money and when its pointed out that it can be accomplished rather easily, you respond with more sarcastic denigration.

And yes Canada will continue to sign economic agreements with the US to the benefit of both parties.

But I forgot, when election time comes around in the US there isn't any chest beating, or fear mongering or jingoistic flag waving that borders on the obscene. Yep, you must be proud to live in a country where the shit don't stink.

I am not sure this is even a federal issue. Provinces own their own resources, so its properly their own purviews, notwithstanding the intergovernmental issues with Ottawa of course.

Alberta could and probably should start thinking outside of the box, and damned quickly as well. Before the feds actually take over our oil in the name of national interest.

After reading this thread I have a whole lot more respect for MrCanada. In fact, there would be a whole lot less resistance to the Conservative party if they would pull their heads out of their religious whacko asses on this issue.

There's more resistance to liberal whackos.

Hee hee. You really do go round in circles.

Especially with newbies like you.

Even when somebody agrees with you, you can't seem to take it in stride. You were the one that raised the issue of building pipelines etc without american money and when its pointed out that it can be accomplished rather easily, you respond with more sarcastic denigration.

If it can be done quite easily, why wasn't it done that way in the first place?

And yes Canada will continue to sign economic agreements with the US to the benefit of both parties.

Yep...just as I've stated many times....way before you showed up here.

But I forgot, when election time comes around in the US there isn't any chest beating, or fear mongering or jingoistic flag waving that borders on the obscene. Yep, you must be proud to live in a country where the shit don't stink.

Not only that, I am very proud to live in a country that doesn't define its identity in terms of another. Good luck with that.

Canada owes its industrial development to the second world war and the United States requirements for raw material for use in armaments. Lets not fall into the trap of thinking it was private venture capital that was invested here, but instead US government backed efforts in the military industrial complex. Give your head a shake and think about for crying out loud. This nation has been a vassal of the United States from that day forward.

Canada owes its industrial development to the second world war and the United States requirements for raw material for use in armaments.

Yes and no....many post war projects were indeed financed by private American and other external capital investment.

Lets not fall into the trap of thinking it was private venture capital that was invested here, but instead US government backed efforts in the military industrial complex. Give your head a shake and think about for crying out loud. This nation has been a vassal of the United States from that day forward.

Give your own head a shake and find out about Canada's purposeful foreign investment solicitations over the past 40 years. If such a "vassal", it is largely of Canada's own making.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Yes and no....many post war projects were indeed financed by private American and other external capital investment.

Post war yes, never said otherwise.

Give your own head a shake and find out about Canada's purposeful foreign investment solicitations over the past 40 years. If such a "vassal", it is largely of Canada's own making.

Not merely largely, instead completely. I do not blame the USA for our own problems and issues. These are our faults, not yours BC.