Billions of $$ in benefits unclaimed

Topaz

A federal task force is reporting that Canadians are not getting the financial support the government offers such as, CPP, GIS, OAS etc. Could it be that some of the Canadians are homeless and living on the street and don't know about the support there? A sad note, at the bottom of the article, it tells of a Ottawa woman who lives on $940.00 monthly through CPP disability, with 390 for rent and the rest for food, clothing and transportation. WOW! I like to see one of the politicians live on that for a month! They have spent that a hour just on booze! http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Billions+dollars+benefits+unclaimed+Canadians+report+says/4253520/story.html

A sad note, at the bottom of the article, it tells of a Ottawa woman who lives on $940.00 monthly through CPP disability, with 390 for rent and the rest for food, clothing and transportation. WOW! I like to see one of the politicians live on that for a month! They have spent that a hour just on booze!

Boohoo. There are people who work full time and receive less than double that as their annual salary. As long as she's fed, clothed and sheltered she's well looked after as far as I'm concerned.

A federal task force is reporting that Canadians are not getting the financial support the government offers such as, CPP, GIS, OAS etc. Could it be that some of the Canadians are homeless and living on the street and don't know about the support there? A sad note, at the bottom of the article, it tells of a Ottawa woman who lives on $940.00 monthly through CPP disability, with 390 for rent and the rest for food, clothing and transportation. WOW! I like to see one of the politicians live on that for a month! They have spent that a hour just on booze! http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Billions+dollars+benefits+unclaimed+Canadians+report+says/4253520/story.html

So lets cut back on imigrant services and bilingualism and lets get that lady some money.

We don't need immigration? We don't need to follow our own Constitution when it comes Canada's (reality of) bilingualism.

We need immigration. We just need less bad immigration, and more good immigration. We should be fast tracking PhD's, doctors, skilled workers etc. We need fewer (90% less) refugees.

I can't really think of any good reasons why my cereal boxes have a french side, other than the Constitution. Can you?

Further to the point, can you think of any fair reason (other than it being in the Constitution) that English speakers don't get the same benefits when travelling in Quebec?

Thank God for the Constitution. My life is so much better for it..... :rolleyes:

Edited by Moonbox

We need immigration. We just need less bad immigration, and more good immigration. We should be fast tracking PhD's, doctors, skilled workers etc. We need fewer (90% less) refugees.

Refugees are not immigrants, and the system is being revamped as we speak. Economic immigrants make up the bulk of people coming to this country. The people you're talking about always get first because of the points system that's in place.

I can't really think of any good reasons why my cereal boxes have a french side, other than the Constitution. Can you?

They don't actually have to generally have as much French as they do, the companies just do it so the product will be accepted in Quebec. That has nothing to do with the constitution.

Further to the point, can you think of any fair reason (other than it being in the Constitution) that English speakers don't get the same benefits when travelling in Quebec?

They in fact do get all of the same benefit that a Francophone would get in Alberta or Saskatchewan.

Thank God for the Constitution. My life is so much better for it..... :rolleyes:

your life is much better because of it, you simply don't realize it. Without a constitution, we don't have the Canada that we have today. You don't like it, well, tough.

Edited by Smallc

I disagree. A PhD is no guarantee of being a benefit to our economy. What we need are people who have valid job offers from Canadian employers.

Refugees are not immigrants, and the system is being revamped as we speak. Economic immigrants make up the bulk of people coming to this country. The people you're talking about always get first because of the points system that's in place.

I like what Harper has been doing with revamping the system. It still needs a ton of work. I have a client who already has a full time permanent job here (making $150k+) and moved here because his son was a big hockey player (in the UK) and he's having a hell of a time getting through. We're wasting so much money and resources screening bogues and useless refugee claims when we should be fast tracking the people who could actually contribute.

your life is much better because of it, you simply don't realize it. Without a constitution, we don't have the Canada that we have today. You don't like it, well, tough.

No I'm pretty sure we were fine before Trudeau.

I disagree. A PhD is no guarantee of being a benefit to our economy. What we need are people who have valid job offers from Canadian employers.

Well I can't argue with you there. I'd settle, however, with people coming here with their own resources to help themselves get established. Anyone who's not going to be an instant drain on the system is okay by my books.

We've had a constitution sine long before Trudeau...before 1867 even (though not under our current name).

Yes I know all about the BNAA. I'm also in complete agreement that we're better off with a constitution of some sort. I do, however, think that there is a large number of people who abuse the constitution and distort it to their own uses in a scope well beyond what it was originally intended to do.

Yes I know all about the BNAA. I'm also in complete agreement that we're better off with a constitution of some sort. I do, however, think that there is a large number of people who abuse the constitution and distort it to their own uses in a scope well beyond what it was originally intended to do.

I don't disagree with you. I'm just a big Constitution guy lol.