5 years of Harper: Your report card?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give him an A. He had some missteps but faced a lot of real problems caused by the former government, e.g.: near end of the Kyoto timeline and a Liberal gov. that did nothing to help meet the targets. In terms of climate change he did the correct thing by keeping Canada out of any binding treaties that the real polluters also weren't in.

I think minorities are hard. It's hard to see things going much better.

I agree with everything you've said. I want to see more, but we have to recognize that Harper isn't a strong leader and cannot sway the undecided to his corner. That's why he can't be more bold without greatly offending the entrenched leftist establishment of Canada. It's really too bad we can't get a stronger leader in the conservative camp.

Well, that would be entirely the fault of conservatives themselves, obviously;

And what "entrenched leftist establishment"?

Wouldn't a "die-heard partisan Harper Conservative hack" say something like this is the best government in Canadian history and award him and A+?

Perhaps I misunderstood just how you're using your pejorative string of adjectives.

More than likely they would, but this just shows the lack of understanding and the usual insulting waldo posts.... which is why I don't usually read them unless they happen to be quoted or referred to - not worth anyone's time replying to them. :lol:

I beleive any politicion that is very honest in this country ,would not last a month in office. This country thru the years of the libs and their feel good policies, which IMO canadians want to here , they don't want the truth ,they want to hear something that makes them feel good even if it is going to work. Canadians get what they deserve.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that Harper has united Canadians to be of one opinion. That people have differing opinions is to be expected.

However, I think that National Unity has become a much less significant issue since Harper has been in office.

Quebec separatism and Western alienation have ramped down dramatically since the Liberals, and particularly Chretien, left.

-k

I think it's a matter of "bigger fish to fry". With the economy the way it is, people are more likely to worry about their own personal situation instead of bitching about separation or... say the NEP :P

Now, to me, an F is "failure", that is, failure to carry out the duties of a prime minister. A Prime Minister who presides over the demise or near-demise of Canada as a nation for reasons that can largely be attributed to the PM would get an F, but that's about it.

I don't know. If I can't give Chretien an F then certainly he gets a very weak D-. This man had as close to absolute power as any Canadian PM has ever had, I think, for 11 years. He had total control over his party and a weak, fractured opposition. He had that for eleven years, along with a booming economy, and he could have done almost anything. Instead he did almost nothing. Environmental, health care and social problems were not addressed and were ignored until they got beyond the point of easy solution.

Harper has been quite good, by comparison. And while he has done something to address social problems, he hasn't been particularly brave on that score, and has ignored health care and other issues.

Harpers greatest failing has been his utter abandonment of the formerly booming Quebec advertising industry.

They used to get hundreds of milllions of dollars from Chuck Guite alone, now they get a pittance and have to have provide pesky administrative nonsense like contracts, work orders, and invoices for work peformed.

This proves Harper is a racist.

F-

Speaking of F-35, why don't we just buy up all the DC-3s left in the world?

Solid, dependable aircraft, something the Canadian Forces could rely on for the next 50 years at a fraction of the cost of these newfangled jets.

I just do see how the military will get by without cutting edge stealth fighters...

What if them ruskie pinkos come over the pole?

I just do see how the military will get by without cutting edge stealth fighters...

What if them ruskie pinkos come over the pole?

again.?

You mean with non stealthed bears and their new fighter bombers they made with the indians?

why not just build a bunch of these for all the major canadian cities with the money instead. and mount some AA SAM stuff on it.

http://www.zimbio.com/Discovery+Channel+Team/articles/24/Houston+Dome+houston+geodesic+dome+houston

and no need to shovel in the winter.

I think canadians would be more receptive at 16 billion for that.

http://www.huliq.com/1/81975/experts-say-houston-dome-may-help-environment

Edited by Esq

Harpers greatest failing has been his utter abandonment of the formerly booming Quebec advertising industry.

They used to get hundreds of milllions of dollars from Chuck Guite alone, now they get a pittance and have to have provide pesky administrative nonsense like contracts, work orders, and invoices for work peformed.

This proves Harper is a racist.

F-

Now THAT'S funny! Good one.

Nobody in this thread suggested such a thing. That's the point. You're attacking a position nobody in here advanced.

So what if nobody in here suggested it? I was replying to the request in the thread's title and instead of a letter grade I left a comment.

I take it you must be the aggrieved nobody.

Would you rather have had 5 years of Dion?

He's got even less personality than Harper! Dion is a train wreck. Enough with the Francophone politicians, already... we've already got way too many Francophones in all levels of government, from the top all the way down to the administrative assistant making $45K/year who gets to come into work at 11 PM every day because she's got a bad back.